+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 98 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

CCL

Re: Computer help desk

A question about cell phones (but it's sort of computer-related). Looking into cellphone data plans & they vary from 1.5 MB to 6 GB - what does that work out to (approximately)?
    Thanks for the help!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leo
    Premium Member

1.5MB is not a lot at all. That's about a minute and a half of music if you buy it from iTunes. 6GB... a little over one burned DVD. As for data plans, though, it depends on what you want to use the data plan for. If it's just for basic web browsing, the 6GB will probably do. However, if you do more advanced stuff - Youtube videos on the move, e-mail, IM clients, etc. - that 6GB will run out sooner than you think. There's a reason most smartphones (the iPhone, Blackberries, etc.) come with unlimited data. Is that not an option for your carrier?

CCL

^ Yes, I forgot the unlimited option. Thanks, Leo.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

For some reason, I can't get my MOV files to play on QuickTime. Is there any other way to play them besides converting/burning to a disc?
    Last edited by lildago; 10-11-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

This is a stupid question, I know. I've only had a laptop for 10 months and the mouse clicker button has gotten "crunchy". I think there's some crap down underneath it. Is it safe to use those air sprays on laptops? I may be able to blow whatever is in the way out, but I don't want to mess up anything. If it were just a keyboard on a desktop, I wouldn't think twice about it, but the clicker bar thingamajig is part and parcel of the computer.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3217584;
    This is a stupid question, I know. I've only had a laptop for 10 months and the mouse clicker button has gotten "crunchy". I think there's some crap down underneath it. Is it safe to use those air sprays on laptops? I may be able to blow whatever is in the way out, but I don't want to mess up anything. If it were just a keyboard on a desktop, I wouldn't think twice about it, but the clicker bar thingamajig is part and parcel of the computer.
    I use my airduster in my laptop even in the mouse area, and I haven't had any problems because I have. So I would say its OK. Just my experience.

I usually take my laptop, turn it upside down, and shake really hard. So I don't think compressed air is going to hurt yours.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I have also used a small folded up post it note (nothing heavier) to get under a key or 2 to pull out some 'cruncies' when necessary. just a gentle touch.

I am getting a registry file failure can't load the hive (file) \systemroot\system32\config\SA M
    also getting the same file, but with security at the end in place of SAM.

Also getting win32K.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

I know that this can be fixed with the Recovery console, but I don't have an XP Media Edition CD. XP came preinstalled on my computer and a CD was not included.

I can boot up in safe mode or command prompt, but that is it. I did the chkdsk command and it ran until it said it couldn't read anymore in Read Only mode. I can't get it to go in any other mode.

I did try the chkdsk from the start up menu, but it froze the system. I also tried to set the computer up to start the chkdsk upon start up, but it came up with win32K.sys Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area.

I am by no means a computer guru, but if someone knows how to fix this and can explain it to me in laymens terms I can follow. OR...do I need to go buy an XP Home Edition (service pack 3) CD and fix it that way?
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Sorry to double post, but this may be another option for me. My neighbor bought Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 and never installed it. She has given me the CD. Could this be an option for me to install this version of XP on my computer? If so, how would I go about doing this? Is Home Edition way different than Media Edition? It seems that the version I am running on my computer was not sold in retail stores. I was trying to find a store too buy a CD and then came across an article that said it wasn't sold in retail stores. Also, if Home Edition isn't compatabile, can I just use the CD to get to the Recovery console? If so, how? I haven't tried the CD in my computer yet, cause I don't want to make things worse. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Oh, another error message I am getting is:

c:\system volume information\_restore {3DBD88D2-9FFC-498B-A689-A4771362F918}
    RP1252 is corrupt and unreadable run chkdsk utility
    Last edited by Melitta; 10-16-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

+ Reply to Thread