+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 98 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

My son and I both still have desktops with XP on them. The two girls have gotten new laptops in the last year with Vista on them. Since I tinker around with both of them, it is a learning experience for me. I still prefer XP, but mostly because I am so used to it. From what I have done with Vista, I don't see what the big deal is. I've not had any problems with either of their laptops (knock on wood!) It just takes some getting used to some of the different features. Just like when I upgraded from Win3.x to Win95, Win 95 to Win 98, and Win98 to XP.

I think with Vista it's sort of like when Windows 98 came out. It has compatibility issues with some programs and it crashes. That's what I've read on many sites. My son really hates Vista because some of their computers at school now have it and they have problems with some software. I'm going to look around today for an XP laptop for him thanks to gabriel!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3150507;
    I think with Vista it's sort of like when Windows 98 came out. It has compatibility issues with some programs and it crashes. That's what I've read on many sites. My son really hates Vista because some of their computers at school now have it and they have problems with some software. I'm going to look around today for an XP laptop for him thanks to gabriel!
    You're welcome. Yeah if he really hates vista - go with XP pro or home

Critical, I also use Paint Shop Pro, and you might like to try this if you want more control over your results--also you won't have to upload te potos to play with them. ; I have the full program but assume these commands are on the free one as they are fairly basic.
    I'm afraid i maybe didn't use the best photo to illustrate tis, but anyway,

I made this image by using (in the top toolbar) Adjust> Color>Channel Mixer--use the sliding scales in the preview window to get what you want.

The following image was crated by using Effects>Artistic Effects> Posterize and using the sliders on that. You can also, after doing "posterize", go to "Solarize" and make more adjustments for other possibilities.

Last edited by queenb; 08-06-2008 at 02:18 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the suggestions, queenb! Paint Shop Pro is alternately really cool and then totally annoying. I ended up using an image I created on Photobucket (per Bunny's suggestion) and then created the rest of the design in Microsoft Publisher because it was an easy program to create a jpeg. That's a great picture by the way! You look great and that's such a pretty setting

Now I have a problem related to my wireless. I've only had my own "network" (i.e. modem with wireless router) for about a month, so it's kind of new for me. I was logging off my computer today and got a message saying that other users were logged into the network and asking if I still wanted to log out. I thought I'd set all the passwords and secured the network as much as possible. I checked my settings, including the firewall (which is up and working). Was this a fluke of a message or am I missing something? I'm not hugely upset about someone using my signal except that I do use this computer - now that it's supposed to be secure - for financial stuff and I don't want to have to worry about someone stealing my SS# or CC information.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Are you sure it didn't say that other users were logged on to your computer? Were you turning off your wireless router too? Usually you leave your router (and modem) on and just shut down your computer.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I'm pretty sure it said "network" and no, I wasn't turning off the router: the computer was going into sleep mode. No one else should be logged on to my computer either. Weird.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leo
    Premium Member

That's... strange, to say the least. If other users were logged on to your wireless network, it shouldn't show up on your computer. At all. I would suggest enabling the security on your wireless router (use WPA or WPA2; WEP is useless) and laptop. After that, I would consider changing all of your online passwords. That really is worrying.

anyone else suffering from Virtumonde virus hell??? The fix is SO frikking long I'm just going to reformat!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How is it being transmitted?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread