+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 98 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Critical I just tried this with a picture on Photobucket. After you add the picture go to edit image, then effects and then popart.

CYA

Awesome! Thanks so much, Bunny555!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm thinking about getting my son a laptop for his birthday next week but all of them come with Vista and we do not want that at all. I've heard you can get XP or 2000 but it will cost an extra $500 added on to the cost of the laptop. Has anyone bought a computer that doesn't have Vista on it?
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3149518;
    I'm thinking about getting my son a laptop for his birthday next week but all of them come with Vista and we do not want that at all. I've heard you can get XP or 2000 but it will cost an extra $500 added on to the cost of the laptop. Has anyone bought a computer that doesn't have Vista on it?
    Have you tried Tigerdirect?

Laptop XP Pro, Laptop Computers XP Pro, Laptop Windows XP Pro TigerDirect.com

Bless you gabriel! I really hate the idea of having Vista on any of my computers. It's such a joke.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3149535;
    Bless you gabriel! I really hate the idea of having Vista on any of my computers. It's such a joke.
    Depending on what you need on it you could buy a reconditioned one also.

here's a link to newegg:

Newegg.com - XP, Laptops / Notebooks, Laptops & Accessories

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

see my comment #717.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3149670;
    see my comment #717.
    I've found new ones and reconditioned ones at newegg and tigerdirect that have XP on them.

also best buy online:
    Windows XP Home : Laptops - BestBuy

Windows XP Professional : Laptops - BestBuy

Leo
    Premium Member

I'll go against the grain and say: don't worry about it. At all. Vista has gotten a bad rap, and suffers from a huge PR problem, but the reality is a bit different. While I wouldn't go out and upgrade an existing XP system to Vista, there aren't that many reasons to stick XP on a new system anymore. It's not a big deal anymore, despite all the groupthink out there. At home, Vista is my day-to-day OS.

The one caveat is: make sure you have enough memory. For cheaper models, one of the things laptop vendors love to cut corners on is memory. Even more than hard disk space, memory is in the buy-as-much-as-you-can get category. 1GB is the minimum, 2GB would be better. (If your son is going to do memory-heavy apps like Photoshop on that laptop, even 4GB might not be such a bad idea.)

I've had Vista on my work laptop since December, and it pretty much works fine. The main issue I've had is that it has a different file format for Word so I have to be sure to save-as an earlier Word format (which is available on Vista) if I'm sending documents to someone without Vista. I don't think it's as user-friendly as XP, but it's where things are going, I guess, and I haven't had major problems.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread