+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Oooh I have a question.

This is probably the only problem with my computer but it has been driving me crazy forever.

A long time ago I downloaded a program to change my computer wallpaper daily but shortly after I removed it from my computer.

Ever since I have to reset my wallpaper EVERY DAY --- even though it says it is centered and should be fine. So every day my wallpaper is partially off my screen at the bottom right and I have to right click and change my display options.

It is getting VERY old. If any of you know how to fix this I would be beyond greatful.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    Here's a dumb question I'm not sure anyone can help me with.

I have a Dell with Windows XP and I'm trying to run a game for my daughter (Scooby Doo The Scary Stone Dragon). However, every time we run it, it dies in the same spot. I've tried to uninstall/reinstall and looked online to see if there were updates or anything. It says system requirement is windows 98SE/Me/200sp4/XP sp1

This is the error I get:

Faulting application case file #2.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00011e5a

Anything that anyone could suggest could help this run? I do have Service Pack 2, could this be it?

Nothing is worse than a new Scooby Game not working for an anxious 6 year old. And a crazy woman pulling her hair out. I hate when I can't figure things out!!

Thanks!
    Ntdll.dll is infact one of the files changed in XP-Sp2. My first thought is to see whether the company that makes the game has posted an update for the game.

I would like to add that XPSP2 has created a lot of issues for people all over. Heck, you KNOW something is going to be hard when MS asks people to take a class on the changes in a certain service pack (as they did for SP2).

Just my 2 cents
    senrik
    A+, MCSE, CCNA (which are just a bunch of silly certs to prove I'm a computer geek)...
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    I would like to add that XPSP2 has created a lot of issues for people all over. Heck, you KNOW something is going to be hard when MS asks people to take a class on the changes in a certain service pack (as they did for SP2).
    Interesting...I haven't had a single problem with it. I guess this explains why they are making such a fuss at work.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senrik
    Ntdll.dll is infact one of the files changed in XP-Sp2. My first thought is to see whether the company that makes the game has posted an update for the game.
    Thanks Senrik! It's an older game, so I did see online they weren't supporting this anymore. Oh well. It's just Scooby Doo!

and Senrik - I'm totally threadjacking, but since you're here, I watched an entire LCS1 marathon on the Fox reality channel yesterday and couldn't help think about our great convos about the comics! I even went back and read lots of the old stuff in the graveyard! **end threadjack**

I need help! How do I reset the password?

Background info: The son continues to visit sites that I have asked him not to visit. He also continues to try to erase all proof that he did so; and, he is very good at that. However, he never gets away with it because he ends up deleting my cookies which causes me to have to login (I usually stay logged in to my regular sites). Anyway.........

I decided I was going to put a password on the computer so he can't use the internet unless I'm home. The computer keeps asking me for my supervisor password. Apparently, one of us has at some point had a password; but, I have no idea what it is.

Please tell me there's a way to do this without a total restore? I do so hate that process!

Quote Originally Posted by l1zz1e
    Im assuming you have Windows XP..if its just your sons account you can delete it and just create a new one. You can try blocking the sites adressess too: Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites. Plus you can also try AOL Online. I think they have good internet parental control. Besides that, im not too sure...boys will be boys :S

I have a problem of my own. I havent fiddled with my monitors settings, but my screen is unusally bright. I dont remember why, but I think it was awhile ago after closing a program. Its doing a number on my eyes. Is there a way to bring it back to default settings without reinstalling my video card drivers? Im using XP, btw.
    Last edited by enthusiast; 06-07-2005 at 12:42 AM.

Nope, I have ME. I know, I know, it's junk, at least that's what everyone tells me; but I haven't had any problems with it.

BTW, I have no idea how to return to the default, sorry.

What internet browser are you using. I think other types besides internet explorer have other secuirty/advanced features. If you really havent had any problems with it and it works for you, then I dont see why you should upgrade. Ive never had any experience with ME. so i dont really know...sorry

Background info: The son continues to visit sites that I have asked him not to visit. He also continues to try to erase all proof that he did so; and, he is very good at that. However, he never gets away with it because he ends up deleting my cookies which causes me to have to login (I usually stay logged in to my regular sites). Anyway.........
    He can delete individual cookies instead of wiping all of them out by going to Tools/Internet Options and clicking on ... oh, wait, I guess you DON'T want him doing that, huh?

I decided I was going to put a password on the computer so he can't use the internet unless I'm home. The computer keeps asking me for my supervisor password. Apparently, one of us has at some point had a password; but, I have no idea what it is.

Please tell me there's a way to do this without a total restore? I do so hate that process!
    Is is possible that your son is the one who set up the supervisor password? If so, your only option probably is to restore the whole thing. Have you tried the help feature, or the boards at microsoft.com? I find those helpful when I can't figure something out.

I'm on XP, and it has a help feature to remind me what the password is. It's been so long since I used ME (it worked great for me, too, by the way) that I can't recall if it had that option.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    He can delete individual cookies instead of wiping all of them out by going to Tools/Internet Options and clicking on ... oh, wait, I guess you DON'T want him doing that, huh?

Is is possible that your son is the one who set up the supervisor password? If so, your only option probably is to restore the whole thing. Have you tried the help feature, or the boards at microsoft.com? I find those helpful when I can't figure something out.

I'm on XP, and it has a help feature to remind me what the password is. It's been so long since I used ME (it worked great for me, too, by the way) that I can't recall if it had that option.
    LOL, no I definately don't want him doing that and yes it is possible that he set up the supervisor password. The help feature was no help,lol. I haven't been to the microsoft boards, no time. ME has a hint option available; but, whichever of us set it up didn't use that option.

Thanks anyway!

BTW enthusiast, I am using IE; I've never taken the time to install any other browsers.

+ Reply to Thread