+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 98 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2771464;
    Something like that could be caused by the video driver. The fix would be to go to your PC manufacturer's website (in this case, HP/Compaq) and downloading the latest drivers for your system there.
    According to the HP site My drivers are up to date.

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;2772241;
    According to the HP site My drivers are up to date.
    Hmmm... that's a strange one. I haven't made the leap to Vista yet, so I can't give a sure answer. It's possible that your video card (or on-board video) may not be up to doing Aero. Try turning some of those settings off and see if it helps.

After that, it's dicier. It's either a deep-rooted Windows problem (solved by reformatting) or hardware.

JamiLee, I'm sorry that your system is pretty broken. Geek Squad would not be my first choice - I'd ask around if there are local shops which would also provide home service - but you do need someone to look at the computer in person.
    Last edited by Leo; 01-27-2008 at 11:23 PM.

I'm thinking of getting a webcam now. My sister got one and now my sweetie wants one too. Any suggestions?

I have Vista, and he has a Mac.

Has anyone bought a webcam successfully on ebay?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2772685;
    Hmmm... that's a strange one. I haven't made the leap to Vista yet, so I can't give a sure answer. It's possible that your video card (or on-board video) may not be up to doing Aero. Try turning some of those settings off and see if it helps.

After that, it's dicier. It's either a deep-rooted Windows problem (solved by reformatting) or hardware.

JamiLee, I'm sorry that your system is pretty broken. Geek Squad would not be my first choice - I'd ask around if there are local shops which would also provide home service - but you do need someone to look at the computer in person.
    Leo,
    You must get bombed with PMs here! Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. There is a local shop I had my daughter bring her laptop to and they were great. I think I may go there.

I've thrown in the towel on the computer stuff. I have several people who call me for computer work (basically just cleaning up their systems)
    And one lady I tutor a few times a week. Anything beyond intermediate help I just don't remember.

I'm determined to get me and my daughter's pictures back!!

Thanks again everyone who helped me here.

I'm starting to hate computers and I LOVED that field (in another life)!

: )
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

well, I have resolved these issues without having to go pay any $!!

It took some research (and I am stubborn)

Got the computer on it's way to working.

I'm buying a new one as the one I wrecked was not mine.

I bought an external hard-drive to keep my pictures and anything else important backed up.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Would anybody know why some sites would make my browser freeze? For the past few weeks, I'll be browsing FORT and BAM! my browser would freeze. I did a virus scan, and nothin popped up. Another website I regularly goes to, this happens also. Those are the only two I have had problems with.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Leo
    Premium Member

First thing to try is to clear your browser's cache. That solves a lot of issues like these. You could also try a different web browser, if that doesn't solve the issue.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2772236;
    I have Ghost for backing up my system. But I also have some important files that I keep on the system and copy them to an external hard drive with TONS of space. That way, anything happens to my machine - I can just take the external drive to another system.
    I used to use Ghost a few years ago but found when I needed the information, retrieving the info was not an easy task. I've tried several back up utilities but again, same problem. Restoring the info was often not possible. So now what I do is copy and paste everything to an external harddrive. That way I'm not relying on a program to back up (and later fail me). Harddrives are so cheap now and just plug right in and dragging and dropping is simple.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2791594;
    Would anybody know why some sites would make my browser freeze? For the past few weeks, I'll be browsing FORT and BAM! my browser would freeze. I did a virus scan, and nothin popped up. Another website I regularly goes to, this happens also. Those are the only two I have had problems with.
    This happens to me also--I've found that just using a different browser works--disc cleanup, etc. did not help at all. I haven't had it happen except on this site, no other.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I use an adaware software to clean up things that attach to my browser cache and it usually makes a difference.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread