+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 98 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Leo
    Premium Member

Re: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by JamiLee;2769785;
    Oh boy I have a biggie here.

I went on a tech site for a problem I posted about awhile back and tried a fix.

It actually made me have more of a problem.

Now my computer is really maybe gone (I have recovery cds) I mean all my pictures and my daughter's pictures too.

Anyway, someone wrote that I should try this:

You can also, install the hard drive into any other computer, running XP, as a second or Slave drive, and if correctly done you can browse that hard drive to move or copy any files you need, to another computer or to any other media like CDs.

Okay it is a really good tech site and I am listed as a beginner. Leo...Queen
    Do you know what this is all about?

Long ago I knew computers well. I have gotten away from them and just rusty. I'd like to try that suggestion. One of my brothers is very good and was suppose to be here next week. Work has changed his plans until March and I'm not wanting to wait.

What do you think? I have about 4 computers (spares) around here.

thanks in advance with any advice.

Gutmutter, glad you got some good advice on here and got the right notebook.

Just wanted to add, I also like Vista.
    What they are talking about is something similar to what I said a while back. The difference is they're using your PC's internal connections (the same way your own hard disk and optical drives are) instead of USB.

The whole master/slave comes from this: in older PCs, your PC had several - generally two - "channels" for drives. Each channel would have its own port on the motherboard. For each channel you could put two drives. One would be designated the master, the other the slave. Newer PCs use a different way of connecting hard drives, and you don't need to worry about this.

You could certainly do it that way, but the USB enclosure method is easier in that you don't need to take apart the PC you attach the busted hard drive to.

My son accidently cracked the screen on his dad's laptop last night. Is there anyway to replace the screen or am I going to have to buy him a new laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri;2770712;
    My son accidently cracked the screen on his dad's laptop last night. Is there anyway to replace the screen or am I going to have to buy him a new laptop?
    No, you don't have to buy your husband a new laptop. Your son might, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2770749;
    No, you don't have to buy your husband a new laptop. Your son might, though!
    Heh heh heh -good one newfherder. but anyway no you do now have to buy a new laptop unless it is a really old one. go online and do a google search for laptop screen replacement-- Brand X --- you could also look through your hometown yellow pages for computer repairs. I would suggest however if the cost of replacement is at least 50% the cost of a new unit, buy the new laptop.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2769948;
    I know explorer uses F11 to toggle between normal screen (with top selections) and 'full' screen, which fills the screen and no buttons.

try F11 and see if that works next time.
    Rats! That did not work. The address box even disappears!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri;2770712;
    A screen can be replaced but you have to get it professionally done. Call the manufacturer and if it's still under warranty they might replace it for minimal charge. Finding a repair place might be a good idea. But if it's a newer laptop, I'd call the place you bought it from and send it in. It's usually not more than a few hundred dollars.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I have a Compaq Presario running windows vista home premium and I am getting this error message after my screen goes blank for about 15 seconds "Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered igfx"
    Last edited by MsDiva2007; 01-27-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Leo
    Premium Member

Something like that could be caused by the video driver. The fix would be to go to your PC manufacturer's website (in this case, HP/Compaq) and downloading the latest drivers for your system there.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2770050;
    What they are talking about is something similar to what I said a while back. The difference is they're using your PC's internal connections (the same way your own hard disk and optical drives are) instead of USB.

The whole master/slave comes from this: in older PCs, your PC had several - generally two - "channels" for drives. Each channel would have its own port on the motherboard. For each channel you could put two drives. One would be designated the master, the other the slave. Newer PCs use a different way of connecting hard drives, and you don't need to worry about this.

You could certainly do it that way, but the USB enclosure method is easier in that you don't need to take apart the PC you attach the busted hard drive to.
    well, I wish I had read this before I did what I did.

I ended up on a tech site and this guy said with my computer to ignore the repair and not use my recovery cds (emachine computer) xp is on there not alone. So, I used a Dell XP cd and followed his advice.

Now, it says on reboot I have 2 operating systems. XP professional and XP Home edition.

It's a bigger mess than it was. I'm calling Geek Squad as I want to see firsthand what they do.

(or not)

I don't care if they can't fix it. I just want me and my daughter's pictures and she and I were talking today and she told me when she comes home again (in 2 weeks) she needs to copy all this stuff on her name for school......
    I didn't tell her all her stuff may be gone..

I've started nursing school (I went for a year before) and really have gotten away from the computer stuff I once knew so well. I'm wrapped up in Science classes which I hate. Computer stuff came easily years ago.

Thanks Leo.

Uncle David, I'm liking the sound of what you wrote about. I am lazy about backing up. I need a new notebook.

I'm most likely going to go with GeekSquad. I'll post the fix if they have one in case someone else can get some help with this problem.

flipping router.......
    Last edited by JamiLee; 01-27-2008 at 05:42 PM.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

I have Ghost for backing up my system. But I also have some important files that I keep on the system and copy them to an external hard drive with TONS of space. That way, anything happens to my machine - I can just take the external drive to another system.

+ Reply to Thread