+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 98 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Thank you! Yes, it was a default setting that was causing that to happen. And now my attach photo is working too!

Attachment 22964
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I hate asking for computer help. I am getting away from working with them though and forgetting a lot.

I have no idea how I messed up a computer here but, it's pretty bad (I think)

There are 3 users
    XP 2

I was the administrator, I hooked up a router and decided to get rid of it-
    went to sign on my name and no more administration rights....not on any of the other 2......very strange. I ran a cd after the hardware installation and I just don't know..

Click on any program and it says no access....invalid path name.

I don't know. This is a new one and I worked with computers for years.

I'm worried about years of pictures on this thing. Mine and my daughters...If I didn't care so much about them I'd just reinstall XP.......

Maybe, I just don't remember all the fixes ........HELP!!!!!!!!!!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

I don't know if it will help, but you might try using System Restore
    Start>control panel>Performance and maqintenence>System Restore
    Choose a restore point date prior to the day you think you messed up , and run System Restore. It would at least give you something to try...where's Leo?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Leo
    Premium Member

Your best bet is probably to reinstall. When a Windows install is broken that badly, it's generally not fixable.

As for your pictures... your best bet is to back them up to a CD, DVD, or an external hard drive. Can your system still do that?

ETA: You can try System Restore, but in my experience it never works all that well. I'll be honest: one of the first things I do on my systems is turn it off.

thanks queenb and I was thinking the same about Leo......

I appreciate the advice queenb......I think Leo is right here with this.

Good idea but, whatever i click on --even just a file --error - do not have rights

I am soooo ---------- can't swear here.

My daughter is gonna flip out. I never should have kept so many things I cared about without backing up.

The company I got the router from...Oh man they are goin to get an earful because I called their tech support and this witch who could hardly speak english pretty much berated me. I thought oh maybe she is having some personal trouble and that's why she's so nasty but, then I was like.....what!!

She was almost abusive talking down to me like I was stupid.

Anyway, I HAVE to figure out something to save these pictures. I don't know how this got so messed up over just hooking up and then getting ridding of router.....

thanks anyway for trying to help. I'll post back if I fix it.

Leo, she could get the pictures backed up if she started in safe mode couldn't she?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Leo
    Premium Member

It's not a certain thing. Maybe, maybe not.

If it's a desktop, the easiest thing for you to do might be to buy a USB enclosure. (You need to have a second computer to pull this off.)

Put your current hard drive in it, then attach the enclosure to a second computer, and copy the files off that way.

Thanks again Leo, I thought about that. Gabriel & Queenb I appreciate your trying to help as well.

I am on a computer right now that I'm fixing for someone (I know so bad when I can't fix my own problems)

I usually figure out something.

I was spending too much time trying too many different fixes. I have about 5 desktops and a laptop right now that I have to deal with.

I'll deal with mine later and if I find a fix, I will post it. I feel confident I will.

I just don't have the time or patience right now.

On another note, lot of good advice in this thread. I hope people utilize it!

I refuse to let my (and my daughters) pictures go.

live and learn,

back up!!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Apple has a new wireless hub called Time Capsule. It is a combination wireless hub and hard drive. Since it isn't shipping yet I'm not certain there's a way for PC users to back-up wirelessly as you can with a Mac, but I would imagine there would be a software solution that would allow a wireless back-up. If so, it's great for anyone, but particularly for laptops. They come in both 500GB and 1TB. I'm waiting, not so impatiently, for them to arrive.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

My mother's computer's D drive is being wonky. She says it allows her to burn CDs -- she did one just this morning -- but it won't let her use it to load software. She wanted to put Turbo tax on there, and her computer wouldn't recognize the disk, and the same thing has happened before. Anyone have any ideas? Dell told her it would cost $130 for them to talk her through fixing it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread