+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 98 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2742181;
    It wasn't my first choice. I've been wanting a Mac but that wasn't going to happen for another year or so. So I'm not going to look my gift horse in the mouth. I've hopped on for the ride; bumpy as it might get.
    If your last new Windows was 98 you will be shocked at how much better things have gotten. I've used my sister's with Vista and like it just fine--I'm still on XP and will be for a while. Both of these systems are, oh 500 times better than 98 0r Win2000. You'll be relieved to see that the vast majority of your old problems will be gone. (NOt to be insulting, but you were way, way overdue an upgrade from the trash OS you had)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Leo
    Premium Member

Vista is generally reasonable if you're on a) recent hardware and b) getting it pre-installed with your PC. Lots of times the issues are with older hardware that either won't work with XP, or won't work as well because of the higher hardware requirements.

Of course, I just got a new computer with the latest and greatest hardware that I'm sure will run Vista well, but I'm sticking with XP. Do as I say, don't do what I do.

An aside here: am I the only one getting those Vista ads right at the top of the page?

MissKitty, I don't know if this will help or not, but when I get a new system and can't get my address book to transfer, I send out an e-mail to everyone in my book and ask them to reply back. When they reply back, I right click on their name and add to address book. That is the simpliest way I have found to do it so far. Oh, I also print off all the e-mail addresses first, then mark them off as they reply. If they don't reply within a few days then I manually enter them.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2742451;
    Vista is generally reasonable if you're on a) recent hardware and b) getting it pre-installed with your PC. Lots of times the issues are with older hardware that either won't work with XP, or won't work as well because of the higher hardware requirements.

Of course, I just got a new computer with the latest and greatest hardware that I'm sure will run Vista well, but I'm sticking with XP. Do as I say, don't do what I do.

An aside here: am I the only one getting those Vista ads right at the top of the page?
    No, I get them too on both top and bottom.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;2740384;
    This isn't a computer question, so I hope it is OK to post it here. My husband has a Sanyo SCP 3100 cell phone. While at a friends house for New Year's Eve out in the country, the neighbors caught their yard on fire. My husband and friends go running across five acres to help put out the fire. They were all running in the dark on very uneven ground. My husband felt himself start to fall so he grabbed his cell phone, did the drop and roll thing and came back up on his feet. Shouldn't have caused any damage to the phone, but now the screen on the front of the phone is blank. The screen on the inside still works as does the phone and the push to talk, but he no longer has the display of the time and stuff on the front. The front screen will show "powering up" and "finding service" when turning it on, but then goes blank. Does anyone have any suggestions...know where I can find a repair kit or a really cheap replacement with no contract? We still have a year left on our contract and are not being offered any decent deals on upgrading. Thanks to anyone who can help!

I would start by checking the settings on the phone. There's usually a display option to shut off the front display. The fact that you get the "Powering Up" and "Finding Service" indications is leading me to believe that there isn't anything wrong with the phone. The screen works, but somehow you've managed to shut it off. What kind of phone is it? Do you have the make and model?
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;2740384;
    This isn't a computer question, so I hope it is OK to post it here. My husband has a Sanyo SCP 3100 cell phone. While at a friends house for New Year's Eve out in the country, the neighbors caught their yard on fire. My husband and friends go running across five acres to help put out the fire. They were all running in the dark on very uneven ground. My husband felt himself start to fall so he grabbed his cell phone, did the drop and roll thing and came back up on his feet. Shouldn't have caused any damage to the phone, but now the screen on the front of the phone is blank. The screen on the inside still works as does the phone and the push to talk, but he no longer has the display of the time and stuff on the front. The front screen will show "powering up" and "finding service" when turning it on, but then goes blank. Does anyone have any suggestions...know where I can find a repair kit or a really cheap replacement with no contract? We still have a year left on our contract and are not being offered any decent deals on upgrading. Thanks to anyone who can help!
    try this link and download the owners manual:
    SANYO > Previous Models
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

dagwood, burntbrat, queenb, leo, and melitta: Thank you all!

I'm not insulted at all, queenb, I was WAY overdue for an upgrade. I think I just have a lot to adapt to because I was on the first edition windows and so much has changed. I am getting things gradually!

One question I haven't figured out is when I try to attach a photo from my documents, it opens with photoshop elements with the detailed screen. I just want to send a simple jpg. Why does that happen?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Leo
    Premium Member

That's... strange. The workaround for that would be that when you do that instead of double-clicking the file you want to attach, try right-clicking, choosing Select, then hit OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2743957;
    That's... strange. The workaround for that would be that when you do that instead of double-clicking the file you want to attach, try right-clicking, choosing Select, then hit OK.
    OK Leo, Thank you. I'll try that.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2743812;
    dagwood, burntbrat, queenb, leo, and melitta: Thank you all!

One question I haven't figured out is when I try to attach a photo from my documents, it opens with photoshop elements with the detailed screen. I just want to send a simple jpg. Why does that happen?
    NOTE the way I have my photos stored, in "MY Pictures", select isn't even an option when I right click, just 'open with"

I am terrible at explaining this, but apparently you have photoshop set as the default program to handle all your photo chores. I'd suggest changing it so that the default is Windows Picture Viewer (assuming Vista has the same name for this as XP!) I've forgotten exactly how to do that, though. For now, You will notice when you right click one of the options will be 'open with'... select that one, and it will show you all the programs you have that will open that file (for example Windows Picture viewer, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Animation #3, are on mine) so you can pick the one you want to use.
    I hope this makes any sense at all!
    Last edited by queenb; 01-07-2008 at 07:29 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread