+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 98 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Re: Computer help desk

If you see DVD or CD R/RW it can burn CDs RW=read/write . As for the difference between XP and Vista I can't say except vista is the newest version of Windows. By the way there are some other Laptops shown on the left side of the page I linked but you can look all over tigerdirect.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Leo
    Premium Member

Windows Vista is Microsoft's latest and (not-so) greatest operating system. It's got an updated user interface, and is supposedly more secure, but the big downside is it needs more computing power to run. A lot more. I don't think that laptop has the kind of juice to run Windows Vista properly at all. The processor is too slow, and it doesn't have nearly enough memory either. Besides, the flavor of Vista it comes with - Vista Home Basic - is so crippled, it's like driving a car with only two gears. It is that bad.

- The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Leo
    Premium Member

Because it's running XP, that system will run decently. However, there are a few catches: the hard drive is a little small, and more importantly that wireless will be slow. It'll be fine for web browsing, but if you're transferring large files over that it will choke. Badly.

I'll be honest: I think a lot of these $500-600 laptops are too crippled to be a good value for money. They're cheap, yes, but there are reasons why they're cheap. I admit to being biased since I did post them up, but I really think spending a little more will get you a lot more computer.

Gutmutter, can I suggest one other place to check before you buy (world champion cheapie chiming in here!) I find better deals at FRYS.com than anywhere else. They have a store 60 miles from here, so I usually order online, but the place is so huge it's mindboggling. Pricewise, it's the Walmart of electronics. Here's an example I like they hide the price, but it's $599
    FRYS.com*|*SONY

Personally, if it were me and I could find a laptop with XP, I'd get it, if only because you could save a tremendous amount of $$$$ because they aren't loading XP into new computers. As for the difference in XP and Vista for most users it is mostly in the appearance of the screen.
    Also, most any computer you get now wont have a "CD burner" but DVD. If you see "ROM" that means 'read only', which is not what you want. It will say DVD 'writer' most likely, plus possibly a lot of things that could confuse you like "dual layer', "light scribe' etc, but they are all DVd writers and will record on CD as well.

Sorry if this makes it worse. I'm afraid I'm not very good at explaining this kind of thing!
    Last edited by queenb; 12-08-2007 at 03:58 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I want to thank you all again. It really means a lot that you're helping me with this. Unless I hear from Leo or gabriel this morning that there is something lacking, I think I'll go with the SONY. THANK YOU ALL! Merry Christmas.
    Count your blessings!

Leo
    Premium Member

I think that's as good as you're going to get at that price point, Gut.

I am asking a question on behalf of Mr. Rattus, who know waaaay more about computer stuff then I do, judging by how much he talks about it, but apparently it's still not enough:

I bought some burning software that didn't do what I expected it to do, so I sent an e-mail asking why. The response said that it will burn audio but not data. I'm trying to burn MP3 discs. Is MP3 data and not audio? I can't seem to find out that information via googling. Thanks for any input.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2711202;
    I am asking a question on behalf of Mr. Rattus, who know waaaay more about computer stuff then I do, judging by how much he talks about it, but apparently it's still not enough:

I bought some burning software that didn't do what I expected it to do, so I sent an e-mail asking why. The response said that it will burn audio but not data. I'm trying to burn MP3 discs. Is MP3 data and not audio? I can't seem to find out that information via googling. Thanks for any input.
    What the tech support e-mail meant when they said it could burn audio discs that can be read by ordinary CD players. Normally, those can't play CDs with MP3s - in the world of CDs, there's a very specific meaning of the term "audio CD", which is why those can only play a little over an hour of music.

What you need to do is just burn them as MP3s. Just burn the MP3s as ordinary files the way you would any other kind of file and it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2711253;
    What the tech support e-mail meant when they said it could burn audio discs that can be read by ordinary CD players. Normally, those can't play CDs with MP3s - in the world of CDs, there's a very specific meaning of the term "audio CD", which is why those can only play a little over an hour of music.

What you need to do is just burn them as MP3s. Just burn the MP3s as ordinary files the way you would any other kind of file and it should work.
    Thanks very much, Leo - you are amazing! I'll pass this on to Mr. Rattus and hope it makes more sense to him than it does to me (I'm hopelessly technically moronic ).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread