+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 98 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

FORT Fogey

Re: Computer help desk

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL P!

I have a Windows HP (XP) w1907 and I have Vista softwear.

The sound on the computer ISN'T working, but the computer say it does and everything is fancy free. It said to get rid of Adobe Flash so and replace it with ActiveX Control, and I did. I kept them both, but the sound STILL want work.

What should I do!? Is it an Internet thing or is something unplugged that I can't find?

Well I am debating on which os to choose for my new laptop Im getting as my 21st birthday gift to myself

Vista Pros
    -Long term support in terms of applications

Vista Cons
    -Compatibility issues with XP Games/Applications
    -Tons of bugs/glitches/etc

XP Pros
    -No doubt all her current games and apps are compatible.

XP Cons
    -How long/many newer apps/games will/be available for XP?

I am really stuck here as to what the better choice will be so I am asking for your thoughts. If you have any questions that would help persuade your opinion one way or the other.

I have Vista and have only had a couple of problems, mostly related to my work software which is a DOS based program. I actually like Vista.

FORT Fogey

Yeah but the sound is crazy.

Leo
    Premium Member

Ah, Vista versus XP. If you're buying it from a large supplier like Dell, you may not have a choice: Microsoft is really trying to encourage them to restrict XP to corporate sales and pushing Vista onto consumers.

That said, Vista has gotten better than it was. Most programs have been updated to support Vista better, and the hardware manufacturers have gotten out Vista drivers for their newer products - not their older ones, mind you, since they want you to buy new ones.

I'm not a Vista fan at all, but if you're buying new you're probably better off with it. You didn't tell us how powerful the system is, though. If the system manufacturer calls the system "Vista Premium Ready", you're probably set. If it only says "Vista Capable", run away from Vista. Quickly. That system is "capable" of running Vista the same way a Ford Model T is "capable" of going across America without breaking down.

If you can afford it, I do suggest going to 2GB of RAM with Vista.

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by spellboundboy;2695862;
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL P!

I have a Windows HP (XP) w1907 and I have Vista softwear.

The sound on the computer ISN'T working, but the computer say it does and everything is fancy free. It said to get rid of Adobe Flash so and replace it with ActiveX Control, and I did. I kept them both, but the sound STILL want work.

What should I do!? Is it an Internet thing or is something unplugged that I can't find?
    Is this something that happens in ALL applications, or just in your web browser?

FORT Fogey

Everything I think. It could be the web though. I'll call Support.

Thanks yall, I ordered my Dell computer last night, and I'm excited to get it. I went with the Windows Vista, I did end up getting the 2GB of Ram, its got an Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5GHz, 667Mhz 2M L2 Cache and I ended up going with the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT for the video card

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interestingly, my Dell guy (Hugo in Central America!) steered me away from Vista. He said, "No, no.....not yet."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I have a DVD of my son's sports highlights from high school. We have borrowed the DVD, so we need to make a copy of it. There's the problem. My laptop nor my desktop will copy it. My desk top won't even play it. My laptop will play it all the way through, but when copying half way through it ejects the disc and says unknown or unexpected error occurred.

The disc will play on both of our DVD players, but they don't record.

Here is what we have tried.

1. Cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more. Even went and bought a Memorex repair and clean machine.

2. Tried copying the disc to the hard drive on the laptop, but it is not working either.

Is there some way to connect one of the DVD players to the computer and get it to record that way??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

+ Reply to Thread