+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 98 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Leo
    Premium Member

Re: Computer help desk

The problem isn't so much installing the new hard drive physically, but the fact that you'll need to reinstall Windows to get it to work. Your system (I'll assume it's a Dell) came with a restore disk that'll put your system back to the state it was when you bought it.

Once you open up your computer and replace the hard drive, you'll then need to use that restore disk and then get Windows Update to install all the patches, which could take a while especially if you have a slow connection.

I'd find out how much The Geek Squad (or some of their competitors) would cost. It's not difficult, but it can be time consuming. How much is your time worth?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Luckily, I have every disk that came with the unit, so I guess I'll try to tough it out with Dell, and keep a positive attitude. What A Drag!!!

What about backing up my data (mostly music) that I don't want to lose?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Leo
    Premium Member

Easiest way is to just burn them onto DVDs if your computer has one. The one sticky point can be if you have music you bought online. Thanks to the wonders of Digital Rights Management [/sarcasm], even if you can put that purchased music on a DVD, it won't work on your PC after the reinstall. If your PC doesn't have a DVD burner, you can burn them onto CDs instead, but you'll need more.

Alternatively, you can get an external hard drive that connects via USB and copy all your files over there. If you have an MP3 player, you can almost certainly use that as an external hard drive too. It'll be a smallish one (unless you own something like one of those new 80GB/160GB iPod classics) but unless you have a ton of data it should work.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Leo and Lucy, thank you both for your suggestions. Don't know what I'd do without this site! (One, for both of you!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

Hi.....ever since the time change last week-end, I've had trouble signing in here. My computer clock changed the way it was supposed to but when I log in here I get an error message and can't access some of the smilies when I post. Anyone's help would be appreciated...Thanks!

Leo
    Premium Member

Those two things shouldn't be related at all. Standard advice for something like what you're getting is to clear your cookies and browser cache and see if it helps.

Also, the FORT login is sometimes a little picky about the address you put in. Make sure you have the www bit before fansofrealitytv.com in your address bar, I've found that helps sometimes.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i have mine set to never log me out so i haven't a clue how to help with this one ....

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2660712;
    i have mine set to never log me out so i haven't a clue how to help with this one ....
    I'm the same way bfd....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions!

Disregard post, got it fixed!
    Last edited by karna68; 11-17-2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Fixed problem myself.

+ Reply to Thread