+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Leo
    Premium Member

Re: Computer help desk

It sounds like somehow, your sound drivers have been hosed. Your best bet is to reinstall the sound drivers for your computer; there should be a CD with those that came with your system. Check your manual for details.

My momz is replacing her old compak computer with a new one and doesn't no what to do with the old laptop. It's 5 years old and the hardrive crashed and it cost $350 at BB to replace it adn she lost the OS CD and that costs $30 bucks from compak to buy.

She wants to do the enviro thing and donate it to something worthy and I thought i'd ask here to find out if you have any ideas of what kinda places could fix an old computer, like maybe poor people or something.
    All was well.

Leo
    Premium Member

If it's that old, the charities that accept it may not even bother with fixing it up - it's not worth what it costs to them. In any event, here's a good list from the EPA:

Where Can I Donate or Recycle My Old Computer and Other Electronic Products? | eCycling | Wastes | US EPA

thanx alot, leo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! i'll be sure to let me momz no aobut this cause shes all save the planet and stuff which is also cool. my momz is an old hippy so she;ll be happy to read about these sights. thanx again. mwah!
    All was well.

Have a web hosting question; figured it might fit in this thread.

Looking for the best deal I can find for a host for a site I will be creating for the business I work for. I would prefer it to use cPanel since I'm familiar with it, it won't need any page creators since I'll be doing all the designing myself, and it won't be generating heavy traffic-- if we go over a gig a month I'll be surprised, but having more would be nice just to play it safe. Basically nothing fancy, as my skills are quite limited.

So far, Host Monster - Web hosting looks good, and while they have some positive reviews I found, a friend sent me links to some negative ones. Includes the domain registration and setup fees, but for the best deal you need the 2 yr. sign up. Godaddy is another option I'm looking at. My own website was donated to me by a friend who I can't get in contact with for the life of me, so I've never had to go through the registration and setup process myself... figured there might be a few suggestions from folks here for good hosts. Plus, if my site goes "poof" again, these suggestions will come in handy for that eventuality, too.

Thanks!

I use Godaddy for my personal website and I've never had any problems with them. They've been reliable and definitely worth the price. They offer other services, too, so you can get your domain name from them, use them as a host, get an SSL certificate, etc... I would definitely recommend them for a low-volume website.

But if you plan on doing any e-commerce for your business in the future you might want to go with a beefier host that is a partner with whatever program you use to build your shopping cart. Stay away from Valueweb.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Thank you for the recommendation!

No plans so far of ever doing any e-commerce, so we can go with something very basic... it will probably stay a simple informational site for a restaurant with a listing of promotions, menu, event calendar, directions, ect. There would be some potential in creating an option to place orders and accept payment online, but because my skills are so basic and I'm the only one who will probably ever do any work on it, we probably never will.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

pakacat, as hopelessly stupid as I am on the computer, I actually run a website. I use Yahoo Small business Web Hosting. They set up the Domain name, provide a large variety of tools that allow you to design your own pages (which is extremely user friendly), and they have a 24 hour a day tech support that is completely free, no matter how many times in one day you may need to call them (believe me, I know). All for the whopping price of about $12.00 a month! Since it is designed for small businesses, it has all the needed applications for money exchanges, when you're ready for that phase of your endeavor. Yahoo Small Business Web Hosting is the only one I'm familiar with, so I've nothing to compare it to. But it is really wonderful! Best wishes to you!

Thanks, lopevian!!

Ok, so I need your help. For some very weird reason, my internet browser is refreshing or bringing up the past browser history in the address bar if i press the 1/! key. And none of this "that's cus you're on aol haha" comments. Because I cant use the z key on irc (or apparently in notepad or any other program, either). Does this mean this baby is gonna die soon? As I really cannot afford a new computer at this moment.

The tildy key right next to the 1key is also only working sporatically. Do you think that maybe a new keyboard would work?
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread