+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 98 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

scrolling marquee?

I'd like to add a scrolling marquee to my MSN group homepage. Does anyone know how to do this? I've been messing around with it for the past couple of hours

I googled "free scrolling marquee" and came up with a few sites, but the one that looked very easy didn't work (another person couldn't get it to work, either) or it looked too complicated. From what I've learned, a person basically has to create an animated gif, but there must be an easier way! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Carla

Leo
    Premium Member

Re: Computer help desk

Assuming you can use HTML tags there, what you're looking for is the MARQUEE tag. Here's a guide on how to use it:

HTML MARQUEE - HTML Code Tutorial

Thanks for the reply. It's an MSN group so yeah, I need to use HTML tags for some things. I'm able to go into "HTML mode" so to say and change simple things such as font style, color, size, etc. I'm also able to use HTML for some "fun" things like the "strike out" feature. So, I'm not completely clueless when it comes to HTML (at least as it applies to the MSN groups), but, for some reason, I'm just not able to get this to work. Usually if I mess around with something long enough on the computer I can figure it out, but not this time. Uggg. Anyway, after going throught the tutorial, this is what I came up with -

WIDTH=600 HEIGHT=150 DIRECTION=LEFT BEHAVIOR=SCROLL BGCOLOR=WHITE> Join us for our next hike on Saturday, April 14 at 7:00 a.m. on South Mountain!

But when I try to put it on my page (using HTML), that's what I see.

Any suggestions? Is the problem maybe in the spacing withing the tags? Thanks in advance.

WHAT!!!!!! LOL! After I posted, I saw that it's "scrolling". (I wish it would do that on my MSN group!) I must be getting closer to getting it figured out. I need to figure out how to get rid of some of the coding in front of the message. Any suggestions would still be appreciated.

I Is Stephanie

Well, I don't know half as much about computers as Leo does, but are you closing the tags? To close you need to open the brackets, put in a backslash, retype the command, and close brackets.

Therefore, to get a white font, you would have to type:
    < color=white>text goes here< /color> (only without the spaces.) you'd need to do that for each command, and they need to be closed in the reverse order that you opened them in...I think...

Maybe Leo can correct me...
    Last edited by 11sstephanie; 04-08-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carla;2319958;
    Thanks for the reply. It's an MSN group so yeah, I need to use HTML tags for some things. I'm able to go into "HTML mode" so to say and change simple things such as font style, color, size, etc. I'm also able to use HTML for some "fun" things like the "strike out" feature. So, I'm not completely clueless when it comes to HTML (at least as it applies to the MSN groups), but, for some reason, I'm just not able to get this to work. Usually if I mess around with something long enough on the computer I can figure it out, but not this time. Uggg. Anyway, after going throught the tutorial, this is what I came up with -

WIDTH=600 HEIGHT=150 DIRECTION=LEFT BEHAVIOR=SCROLL BGCOLOR=WHITE> Join us for our next hike on Saturday, April 14 at 7:00 a.m. on South Mountain!

But when I try to put it on my page (using HTML), that's what I see.

Any suggestions? Is the problem maybe in the spacing withing the tags? Thanks in advance.
    You've got an extra > right after MARQUEE - which means that all the attributes you put in (width, height, etcetera) are disregarded. This is what you want, right?

Join us for our next hike on Saturday, April 14 at 7:00 a.m. on South Mountain!

Quote this post to see the right HTML code.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Leo! (You too, stephanie. I appreciate your taking time to reply.) I tried copying and pasting the code you gave me (I was hoping you'd do that!) onto my MSN page (while in HTML), but it didn't work. *sigh* But, the code is clearly correct because it works here. Now at least I've got the correct code, and that's half the battle. I'll keep working at it - I'm not so frustrated now that I know I at least have a code that will work. Thanks again!!

Ok, so I bought a new laptop today. It came with a version of Vista. My question is: does anybody know if most software is compatible with it? Like Photoshop and such?
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Leo
    Premium Member

It's really something that the developer of the software in question has to answer. For Adobe products, like Photoshop, there's a PDF file about this, which you can download at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/product...dows_vista.pdf

Alternately, you can read the same document in your browser, courtesy of Google:

How Adobe Products Support Windows Vista

For most applications, the short answer is: it'll probably work, but there may be several small nagging annoyances. Particularly for bigger, more complex software it can be a big risk.
    Last edited by Leo; 04-28-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Leo (or anyone else...) - Itried to download email stationery for Outlook Express, and some of them are ok...but some I tried to download appear TOO large for the screen after they're downloaded. Some stationery that I download will have a picture off to the left hand side of the letter, but after it's downloaded, it's way too big...all I see is the background of the stationery, and not the picture to the left. Can you tell me if these need to be resized, or if I need to change my screen resolution? thanks!
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread