+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 98 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Okay. I cleared my cache earlier tonight for a different reason, but no change. And those webpages are fine when I access them from work... just not from here. I'm stumped.

Someone else mentioned maybe I had done something with my scroll mouse? He had indicated that I could possibly hold down the shift button and scroll, but that doesn't seem to work, either.

Thanks, Leo!!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Interesting. When I am using Firefox on BellSouth, everything looks fine. When I use AOL, and go to Google, some of the fonts are super tiny. I'm going to try the above suggestions.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2285854;
    OH crapola. Thanks Leo for your assistance and knowledge. I really appreciate it. Hmmm. What to do now? Must.buy.lotto.ticket.
    What a difference a day makes. I just checked it today, and now they have Macs with the Intel processors. Lowest price there is (Canadian) $589, although I can't completely recommend something that cheap. You didn't tell me if what your budget was, but if you really want a Mac, that's what it'll cost you.

The Apple Store (Canada)

Boy, I don't know what I accidentally did yesterday on my keyboard, but I accidentally (without knowing it at all) turned on "filter keys". When this happens, you can't type, and a window pops open for every web site you pull up. It was aggravating, to say the least! I just found filter keys is a setting in "Internet Options" , "Accessability"..
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2287802;
    What a difference a day makes. I just checked it today, and now they have Macs with the Intel processors. Lowest price there is (Canadian) $589, although I can't completely recommend something that cheap. You didn't tell me if what your budget was, but if you really want a Mac, that's what it'll cost you.

The Apple Store (Canada)
    My thanks, Leo, for the link and info. I do spend a fair bit of time online so it is important, and now that I'm paying for lite speed, it'd sure be nice to not have all these problems. The site will help me get an idea of what kind of prices I'm looking at!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well, a techie came and we found out there was an error in device manager. My computer worked for an hour. Then I shut it off and I have not been able to get it up until tonight. I had to update the driver once again which I didn't know how to do but figured out. They did not leave me with a disk when it was installed.

Unfortunately, another techie is coming tomorrow. I'm afraid to shut it off now. The saga continues

Computer crashed after I logged out from my last posts. THIRD techie came today and discovered that the network card that the first installer put in was not one that they use, even though it was in the correct packet. Hmm. Also, that he didn't leave a start up disk. Hmmm. Also, that it was installed in the wrong place in my hard drive tower. Hmmm.

He was then very nice and took out the wrong stuff and installed the new network card which appeared to show up where it was supposed to. Except for one thing. I couldn't get connected to the internet. At all. So he said it was my computer and I should get a new one. And he left.

So here I am with over two weeks paying for internet and still having a mess of troubles, everytime the techies saying it's my computer. Well, I simple unscrewed the connection. Unplugged the modem, waited a few minutes, plugged it all back in and now I'm connected to the internet!!!

That four phone calls, and three visits in two weeks to get online.

If you don't see me for a few days, I've probably crashed and thrown the computer out my window.

in my rocking chair, on my porch of bitterness
    Ugh--router problems. Anyone know how to diagnose this sort of thing? We have a working DSL connection, which we can plug any one computer into at a time, and it works fine, but if we try to put a wireless router on there so we can share the connection, we get nothing--and naturally it doesn't give us any feedback what's going wrong I'm not even sure where to start.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by drnick;2306694;
    Ugh--router problems. Anyone know how to diagnose this sort of thing? We have a working DSL connection, which we can plug any one computer into at a time, and it works fine, but if we try to put a wireless router on there so we can share the connection, we get nothing--and naturally it doesn't give us any feedback what's going wrong I'm not even sure where to start.
    Is there a customer service phone number for the company that made the router? You could call them and they might be able to walk you through the problem...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Leo
    Premium Member
    Okay, a few questions. First of all, what router model are you using? Are you using it wirelessly or with Ethernet cable?

Here's something to try - go to the command prompt (easiest way is to just type cmd in the Run prompt), and type ipconfig. What does it exactly say there?)

+ Reply to Thread