+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 98 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2162033;
    I wonder if Vista will be any good.
    I've tried to keep up with the news about Vista. People have a pretty good idea about what'll come out because earlier this year Microsoft released a public beta that anyone could download for free. In addition, developers (and tech journalists)

It depends on what you mean by "good". I've seen the screencaps of this new Aero interface. Make no mistake, it's very good-looking, but it's not revolutionary. I'm also not sure how many people care that Windows looks good.

Under the hood, Microsoft has made a lot of changes, trying to make Vista more secure. Will they work? No one really knows. At least one of the steps that Microsoft took to improve security has already been proven to be bypassable. Ooops. That said, Vista is likely to be more secure than XP in the long run.

The problem is that Vista will be a hardware hog. The big hit will be in two areas: your memory and your video. For memory, the recommendation is at least 1GB, and some are even recommending twice that. Only enthusiasts run that much today.

Video is the bigger problem. Many laptops will not be able to run Vista decently - they don't have the graphics power to do it. Similarly, unless you spent a decent amount of money (call it $1000 or so) on a PC in the last two, three years or so, you are also in trouble.

My advice based on all I've read and listened to can be condensed to one word: wait. It's not coming out for consumers until the end of January - it's out today for corporate clients, but even those people will take their sweet time before upgrading. I think people should take the same attitude corporations will. It's rather similar to the PS3 launch - there are bugs that will have to be worked out, and if the current solution works for you, don't change.

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll;2157602;
    I think you will have to save the image to your computer first. Then try going under: Message / New message using / Select Stationary...
    Just under the Preview box there is a 'Create New...' Button, from there you can browse... your computer to find the image. After that you can possition it, select the text, etc.

I've never done it myself, so I hope this works for you.
    Thanks, M_shelll. Will try it now!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

CCL
    Thanks for the information on Vista, Leo. Very helpful.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Hey can anyone help me out here.
    I am working on the webpage for my husband's store... and while I am capable of doing most things they would like done. I am afraid I have hit a wall here. I am using Frontpage.

I know how to create a drop down menu
    I know how to create links that will make "pop-ups"
    But I cannot seem to figure out how to combine the 2...
    A drop down menu, that when you choose an option it opens the choice in a pop-up window. I know "yuck" But it is what they want.
    I feel I am going to have to ignore the frontpage features all together and plain html this one. Unless someone can help me think of something I may be overlooking? A bit of code you can spare?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I am having trouble with my Internet Explorer and I don't know what to do. I have a 2002 Windows XP hp pavilion mx703 (have no idea if that makes any difference).

When I try to watch videos (for example, I was just trying to watch a survivor live episode on cbs.com); it lets me watch those silly advertisment commercials but the minute the actual thing I want to watch comes on I get a "Internet explorer has encountered a problem...blah blah blah....do you want to send a report or don't send". I can continue to hear (not watch since its a big error message box) a few more minutes then it boots me completely out of any program I may have open on my computer at the time.

Can you un-install IE and then re-install??? I'm a little computer savvy but not alot so hopefully no one is going to say I need to take out the back of the system, re-program the internal hard drive, splice into such and such and WAA-LA your problem should be solved....because I would just

Here's a picture of the screen when I get the error message:

Last edited by bbnbama; 12-09-2006 at 11:28 AM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Leo
    Premium Member
    It's hard to say exactly what's wrong, bbnbama. Honestly, however, you may be better off ditching IE and using another browser. Try using Firefox instead and see if it helps. (Firefox is a much, much better browser anyway.) If that doesn't work... well, first, see if the new browser helps.

ETA: I guess I didn't answer your question about un-installing IE and re-installing it. Answer: no. It's too tightly integrated into Windows XP for you to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2172942;
    It's hard to say exactly what's wrong, bbnbama. Honestly, however, you may be better off ditching IE and using another browser. Try using Firefox instead and see if it helps. (Firefox is a much, much better browser anyway.) If that doesn't work... well, first, see if the new browser helps.
    Would I un-install IE before I try firefox???
    Thanks for your help Leo!

You don't have to uninstall IE to use Firefox.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Ok..I've downloaded firefox...I'm gonna give it a shot...any of the add-ons you would recommend??

Leo
    Premium Member
    Ah, Firefox extensions. Everyone who's learned to use Firefox well has their favorites. Here are some I swear by:

Tabbrowser Preferences - this one really allows you to customize how Firefox and its tabs behave. If you're an OC type who wants to control exactly how tab behavior, this is for you.
    Add Bookmark Here - if you have lots of bookmarks and like to keep them well-organized, this is for you.
    Colorful Tabs - somewhat of a novelty extension, but it looks nice.
    Gmail Manager - if you have a Gmail account (or even multiple ones), this is very useful.

+ Reply to Thread