+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

I just wanted to say Phat has been enormously helpful.
    The things he's told me to try haven't worked so far, but it's my computer's fault and he has done his best.

Also, for anyone who downloaded that Trojan Guarder that I suggested to several people: it was free for 30 uses, and I appear to have used mine up. But when I tried to close the screen that asked me to register, my computer froze up. I just restarted it twice, and had to do the alt-control-delete thing to keep it from launching itself again. Then I uninstalled it. Just a tip in case anyone's had trouble.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Bump.

I got a new laptop today. Everything about it is superior to my old one, except for one thing. I can only use the scroll button (which I use constantly) if I'm in IE. It won't work in Firefox at all. This is horrible, because I really really REALLY don't want to use IE, but if I have to choose between the ability to scroll and Firefox, Firefox is going to lose that battle.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can have my cake and eat it too?

It might be that you have to turn it on in Firefox in some way -- you know how there are some functions that you seem to have to work to get in Firefox, like pesky Java plug-ins or whatever.
    Um, that's all I got.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Try this site: https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

Yes, you can and should download utilities, add-ons and other applications that extend Firefox's functionality.

Did the laptop come with a scrolling wheel by the keyboard, Amanda? What are you using to try and scroll that doesn't work in Firefox but works in IE?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    It might be that you have to turn it on in Firefox in some way -- you know how there are some functions that you seem to have to work to get in Firefox, like pesky Java plug-ins or whatever.
    Um, that's all I got.
    You know, honestly I should just be happy that I finally have a laptop where I can even use Java. The old one, man. I'd try to log into Fort chat or something, and the whole thing would start shaking and smoking and shouting obscenities at me. And then it'd shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat
    Did the laptop come with a scrolling wheel by the keyboard, Amanda? What are you using to try and scroll that doesn't work in Firefox but works in IE?
    Well, there's a touchpad (which, btw, my old one had one of those nubby thingies instead, and this touchpad thing is hard to get used to), and underneath there are three buttons. Left click on one side, right click on the other, and a scroll button in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Um, that's all I got.
    Amanda, in Firefox, try Tools > Options > Advanced and make sure that "Use autoscrolling" is checked on. (See attachment.)

Unfortunately, Firefox may not "recognize" your laptop button as a scroll key.

I've had issues with Firefox's scrolling feature before, but I don't remember why, and I don't remember how I resolved it. One of the first things I would do would be to make sure you are using version 1.04.

ETA: ...and congratulations on the new laptop, Amanda. That's awesome. I've always thought that technology should be a boon, not a bane, so I'm always glad to hear when someone comes across technology that allows them to do what they need/want to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by phat32; 05-24-2005 at 11:31 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Yep, it's on, and yep, it's 1.0.4.

On the plus side, it's only been a few hours, and I'm already getting used to using the arrow keys instead of a scroll button, so maybe in a week or so I won't care anymore. I decided that I just can't use IE. A girl has to have her standards.

ETA: And thanks! My old laptop - oh God. That thing should be in a museum, if only they had a museum dedicated to absolute crap. It had a 4G hard drive, and I had to keep it on this fan thingamajig all the time, otherwise it'd overheat and just shut down. It had NO battery power. Literally none. If I accidentally knocked the cord out, everything was done. No two second grace period, let alone two hours. And the w key fell off. Well, I popped it off trying to clean it with an icepick (not kidding) and it wouldn't go back on. And I couldn't run more than 2 programs at once. If I dared try actually checking my email, I had to turn off Yahoo messenger, or shut down my browser. It was awful.
    Last edited by Amanda; 05-24-2005 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    I decided that I just can't use IE. A girl has to have her standards.
    I hear that. I don't think I could ever go back, either.

You may want to consider a wireless, USB optical mouse. A little USB receiver plugs into a USB port on the laptop, and you can use the mouse on any surface, sans cables.

Example:

Newegg.com is one online store where you can purchase one.

My coworker uses one for his laptop and loves it; I don't use one because I sometimes really do rest the laptop on my lap, so what's the point of an external mouse?

throwing my hands up in frustration: computer problem

If anyone can help, I will be forever indebted to you. Out of the blue 5 days ago, I could no longer connect to AOL. I get the error message 46-NPQE and a box full of phooey about firewall settings. Let me re-iterate that I changed nothing before this happened. Everything had been just dandy.

Anyway, I have found 2 firewalls on my computer (AOL's McAfee, and Windows Firewall) and all the right files are allowed full access. I even tried disabling both firewalls. Makes no difference. I reinstalled the AOL software. No difference. If I want to check my email, I have to go to AOL.com through Explorer. I can't find anything in the AOL Help that will Help. I can't get their Live Help because I can't sign on.

Any ideas for me?

I don't know if this will help, but I am going to paste a link to a Q/A at some forum. Thats all I could find.
    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...r/881006033731
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread