+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Thanks for the info, Leo. I do have a program on here that could affect these settings. I'll look into it's settings, and see if I can find whether it's affecting Windows Updates.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    HELP! I installed the new version of itunes and QuickTime (I run a Winxp PC). I have small QuickTime movies from my digital camera and I have a video I bought for my daughter on itunes. Now when I play it in QuickTime, it comes up and the sound is normal but it's a bunch of blocks of picture. Best I can describe it is it looks like those little number puzzles where you slide the tiles back and forth until you get them in order. The blocks are actually the pictures of what's on the video, but it won't show the video properly. (okay, I took a screencap of it.... )

Does that make sense? I looked all through the quicktime help on the apple.com page, but can't seem to find anything.

My old version of QuickTime worked fine - at first I thought it was my digital camera, until I ran the video from itunes that I purchased and it did the same thing.

I took a screencap of it....has this happened to anyone??

FORT Fogey
    I stopped in here to see if anyone's ever tried using an inkjet refill kit, but nobody's mentioned that in this thread yet.

I just bought two kits yesterday: one black and one color.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to take a crack at refilling my printer's cartridges, so I'll let you know how it works.

Leo
    Premium Member
    marybethp, what kind of video card do you have? Quicktime can be demanding on video sometimes, and it's not the slimmest of software packages either. Try going to Control Panel -> Quicktime -> Advanced. Switch to the "Safe mode (GDI only)" and see if that helps.

Check also if something is clogging up your CPU. Before playing a video, hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager, then click on the Performance tab. Watch the CPU Usage graph while you play a video. If you have a reasonably new PC (anything bought in the last two years will do), it shouldn't be near 100%.
    Last edited by Leo; 10-01-2006 at 08:24 AM.

A couple of questions here, I'll try to be brief:

1) As detailed in the Pet Peeves thread - my Alienware laptop has crashed. We hooked up a separate monitor and saw something briefly that way... but Windows (XP) would not load. SO it seems the monitor on the laptop is fried (no pic at all) and something else is going on with the OS or HD. It's had a new motherboard already but frankly they sent it back just as bad as before. It blue screened a lot. (They also broke the keyboard and IMO the on/off button but that's another thing...) When I push the on button I can hear the computer running but nothing else happens.

2) I'm on another laptop, but it has serial ports (thanks hubby for the name). My printer, scanner, and a separate keyboard we have, all have USB ports. Is it possible to get some type of adapter or hub and plug all three into this older laptop?

Thanks for any help. Thanks very much!! (even just for reading this!)

Leo
    Premium Member
    Brandy, let me get this straight - the old laptop does not have any USB ports at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    I stopped in here to see if anyone's ever tried using an inkjet refill kit, but nobody's mentioned that in this thread yet.

I just bought two kits yesterday: one black and one color.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to take a crack at refilling my printer's cartridges, so I'll let you know how it works.
    We use to use those, Pom! They DO work, but it's just time-consuming filling them all, and it's messy. Make sure you have plenty of paper towels. Its cheaper in the long run, but for convenience, we buy the cartridges now.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    marybethp, what kind of video card do you have? Quicktime can be demanding on video sometimes, and it's not the slimmest of software packages either. Try going to Control Panel -> Quicktime -> Advanced. Switch to the "Safe mode (GDI only)" and see if that helps.

Check also if something is clogging up your CPU. Before playing a video, hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager, then click on the Performance tab. Watch the CPU Usage graph while you play a video. If you have a reasonably new PC (anything bought in the last two years will do), it shouldn't be near 100%.
    Leo THANK YOU so much. The safe mode worked.

My usage is at 5% on the task manager and goes up to about 50% when playing the video.

You rock Leo. Thanks so much!

Leo
    Premium Member
    Glad I could help marybethp.

Leo - sorry I just now saw that the thread was updated for some reason.

Hubby finally helped me try and hook all this up tonight. He did find one USB port. (I had told him earlier that I thought there were some hidden ports on the sides, he'd said he'd looked and found no 'trap doors' so I thought that's that)

I'm just glad it had at least one. The scanner's hooked into that now. The keyboard fit into the old type of port I think it was... but the computer doesn't seem to recognise the separate keyboard so far. I had to restart the computer, then thankfully, I could use the keyboard it already has.

The reason I'd like to use the separate keyboard is it's much bigger. After a short time typing on this tiny thing my hands are sort of going numb, and ache later. I'll ask hubby about it in the morning - but if you have any tips they're very welcome. (I.E. why the trackball & keystrokes don't register onscreen if the detached keyboard's plugged in? Also, any adapters we should use?) We also found some sort of 'card' that plugs into the side, but - maybe the thing's defective, it doesn't fit all the way into either laptop. It is a 'card' with ports on the outside of it.

I didn't get a home computer til 1996 and never really educated myself about them. I'm really wishing I had, now. Anyway thanks for all input (er, no pun!). We'll be out by a Fry's computer shop tomorrow, I think. We plan to stop in there and look around too but, if you have any ideas they're so welcome.
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-02-2006 at 03:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread