+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 98 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Got it figured out, it was a format button along the bottom.

Okay anyone have a clue on this? My desktop wallpaper is fuzzy. Looks like it may be 16 bit color instead of 32 bit? Even though it's set at 32 bit. I played around with the true color and high color settings and got it to look right but then my icons were all scrunched up. Any ideas?

Leo
    Premium Member
    karna68, could you send a screencap of your entire desktop and e-mail it to me? That's the surest way of me figuring out what exactly is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    karna68, could you send a screencap of your entire desktop and e-mail it to me? That's the surest way of me figuring out what exactly is wrong.
    How would I do that? I don't know how good you'll be able to tell from a screencap, it's very subtle but I can tell. Oh and the icon titles got highlighted somehow, but you'll be able to see that. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by karna68; 07-31-2006 at 12:21 PM.

karna68 - sounds to me like your pixel setting is set too high if your desktop icons are way too tiny. go to "control panel".."display"..then "settings"..youll find your pixel settings there. mine's set on 800 pixels..cause I like my icons big.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    karna68 - sounds to me like your pixel setting is set too high if your desktop icons are way too tiny. go to "control panel".."display"..then "settings"..youll find your pixel settings there. mine's set on 800 pixels..cause I like my icons big.
    Thanks, when I get my wallpaper how I want it my icons are actually scrunched vertically, it's weird. Looking at it again though it's not so bad, I can live with it, I dont use that computer much anyway.

My icons are placed vertically, too..because my wallpaper is of the beach..and some of the picture is off to the left..so I have the icons kind of off to the side and around the objects.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    How would I do that? I don't know how good you'll be able to tell from a screencap, it's very subtle but I can tell. Oh and the icon titles got highlighted somehow, but you'll be able to see that. Thanks for your help!
    It's not that hard. Here's the step-by-step.

1. Minimize all your windows, so that no window is covering the desktop.
    2. Hit the Print Screen button. It's usually abbreviated as "Prt Scr" or something similar. It'll be in the top row of keys, to the right of F12. (On laptops, it may be in one of those keys you have to press Fn for.)
    3. Open up Paint (or any other photo editing program) and select Paste from the edit menu. Save the resulting file as a JPEG file (please, not as a bitmap or BMP file, have mercy on my modem.)
    4. Send it to my e-mail address, which I'll PM to you.

Slow as molasses in January

Okay, this is a very irritating problem that I have NO experience in fixing, if indeed, it can be fixed.

I have two SONY VAIO's: one that's 4 years old and was barely wireless when I got it (new technology back then), and a brand NEW VAIO that is Bluetooth/Yada-Yada/Wireless Ying-Yang.

We have Comcast Internet and a Wireless router (sp?). The old VAIO is plugged into the cable becoming the "mother" computer (I'm spitting out concepts that I'm only parroting back what I've heard), and the new VAIO is used anywhere in the living room/dining room area, within 12' of the router.

Problem:

The cable connected 4 year old VAIO will download a page in milliseconds. The newer/spiffier VAIO, takes 10-40-60 seconds or longer to do ANY GOL DARN THING!!!! The little green arrow spins and spins and spins, even though the icon of the wee computer in the tool bar says, "Speed: 54.0 Mbps/ Signal Strength: EXCELLENT".

It is so frustrating and angering that half of the time I just stick with the old, beat up VAIO but it chains me to the table that it sits on, to keep it physically connected to the Internet cable.

Now, it gets weirder! When I'm house-sitting in Lincoln Park, home of a zillion wireless homes, I can sit in a clients home, new VAIO in lap, the signal strength listed as "LOW" or "VERY LOW", with multiple times that it just cuts out, the new VAIO downloads high intensity pages like it was on fire and it's life depended on downloading images. I'm talking ebay and Google image pages downloading within the blink of an eye.

On "LOW". But not on "EXCELLENT", at home.

This just isn't happening to me but to each of my roommates, but NONE of us use our computers simultaneously as our hours vary radically as to when we're home.

ANY clue as to why being 3 feet from a wireless box brings horrid results but picking up "free" un-secured Internet is 3-5 times as fast???

Thanks to you Brainiac's who always help us little lambs out with these questions!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Leo
    Premium Member

All laptop users - this is important!

I know a lot of Forters use laptops, so this is a pretty important bit of news. If you use a Centrino-based laptop, Intel has just put out an update for the Windows drivers. This is important because without the update, theoretically, anyone within range of your wireless adapter can hack your PC and pretty much do what you want. Oops.

You can download this utility to determine the model number of your wireless adapter. After that, you can get the updated software from Intel for your specific model here.

+ Reply to Thread