+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 98 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    CAN I SAFELY SHARE MY WIRELESS NETWORK?

My Questions:

1. So do any of you computer experts know if it's safe for me to share by giving them my key?

2. Will they be able to access any files in my computer(s) that are online?

3. Would they be able to change my router settings if they have the key?

4. Will it be a nightmare for me?

THANKS!!
    1. Maybe
    2. Possibly
    3. Possibly
    4. Yes
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Pom, your router login and password is separate from your WEP key. As long as you changed it from the default factory setting (and you did, right?), you're good there.

As to whether your computer will be safe, that depends on whether you have network sharing set up at all, and how good they are with that kind of stuff. In general, if you don't have any shared directories and you run a firewall, you're pretty safe.

With a standard 10-character WEP key, they could crack that in about 10 minutes anyway. It's not that secure. So, if they know anything about that kind of thing, and they wanted on your network, they could be there whether you share it or not.

FORT Fogey
    THANKS, John!!! You've given me some good ideas on things to double-check.

I do believe I'll give 'em the key after I double-check my settings, so I appreciate having your input on this. I think I'll check all the settings and the firewall, and then for added good measure I'll call my router's 24-hour Tech Support line and get their input, too.

I'll let you guys know how I do this once I do it.

Thanks again.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Pom, the thing that worries me a bit about your setup is if you're using only a 10-character password that means you're using the weakest possible encryption out there. Could you use the newer, stronger WPA protection or does someone in your would-be wireless network have equipment that doesn't support it?

FORT Fogey
    Hhhmm, Leo, I don't know why it's only ten digits.

It's a D-Link router and I just set it up like they told me to over the phone.

If you guys think I should just back off an not give access I'll do that. I would hate like heck to have my own computers hacked into. I'm especially worried someone'll get in there and erase all my Pomeranian pictures!

Seriously, I'll check into this. I'm going to call D-Link's 24/7 tech support line and ask them what they think.

I'll keep you posted.

THANKS for the input!

Leo
    Premium Member
    The worry with wireless access is less about people hacking into your computer and more about a) people being able to see just what you are browsing, and b) connecting to the Internet using your connection illicitly. The question you should ask of DLink is, specifically, "does my router support WPA encryption"? If you know the model number of your router, then I could answer that question right here.
    Last edited by Leo; 07-02-2006 at 10:51 PM.

I don't know, Pom, this sounds like a bad idea to me (but then again, I can be a worry wart at times). Another concern I have (maybe Leo knows the answer) is if they get a virus, would Pom then be susceptible? I'm thinking yes? This idea makes me nervous, Pom.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks for the input, roses, Leo, John, and gabriel.

The more we kick it around, the more I worry about doing it, too.

Leo, the router model is D-Link DI-524.

If you think there's a way to safeguard my system I'd love to hear about it, and I'd share if I can do so safely. But if it's more of a hassle than it's worth, I'll have to find other ways to be a nice neighbor.

Thanks again.

avy by martinique ANTM Mega Fan's Avatar
    My computer is really weird. It would work every other day for three months, and now it doesn't work at all. Have no idea what's wrong.
    "What it do, Shawty?"-Natasha Galkina

Leo
    Premium Member
    Pom, I have to say: that's a pretty nice router. Fortunately D-Link has a pretty good tech support section on their website. To enable WPA, which is much more secure than the default WEP encryption, follow the guide here. To be ridiculously safe, use this site to generate a random password. Use either one of the two 63-character passwords it'll give you - but save that to a text file so you can easily remember it and send it by e-mail to your neighbors. (The catch is, though, your neighbors also have to have Wi-Fi equipment that supports WPA, but if they have reasonably new stuff that shouldn't be a problem.)

As for viruses: yes, theoretically Pom would be susceptible, but so long as she has a software firewall and updated anti-virus software, there's no added risk.

ANTM Mega Fan: was it a computer you bought whole, or did someone assemble it for you? It's a little hard to diagnose your problem without getting more details. When you turn it on, how far does it get before it stops working?

+ Reply to Thread