+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 98 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Leo
    Premium Member
    RR can be a little difficult to use... somewhat like what Hijack This! used to be. Send the results to me and I'll see what I can dig up on them.

Ok. I went to another thread about digital cameras but, didn't find any info I'm looking for.

I have a photo thing on Yahoo with all different albums that I had nice and organized. It's a pain because it takes so long to upload the photos but, I like it besides that.

Then I just stopped creating new albums and would take pictures and just hook up my camera and move the pictures off the camera to the computer with no organization. I've done this for about the past year. I have 2 different cameras and too many picture programs.

I really would like to get these organized. I recently went to a huge family reunion and a lot of people have asked me about the pictures. I'd like to get them in an album and all the other pictures all organized. I started to earlier this morning. They are all over the place. I started making folders on the desktop with so and sos party - family reunion - random pics etc.......
    I feel like it's taking forever finding them and naming them then I'm thinking it's going to take forever to upload if I EVER finish getting them all together.

this is just a big mess.

If I had them all on cds I wouldn't mind uploading as I can cruise around the internet.

Anyone have any suggestions about organizing a massive amount of pictures and quite a few movies.?? I am feeling overwhelmed with this and thinking there must be an easier less frustrating way to do this......or maybe not?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm not very good with picture stuff on the puter.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

JamiLee, have you tried Snapfish.com? It is a website where it is free to upload and share your photos. You can make separate albums and can grant access to different people for different albums. Your guests can order prints from the site or they can save the images to their own computers to print themselves. Might be worth a look for you...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Hi OTVS

well I have been using Yahoo (had been) for a long time and it's just like you described. All separate albums. I like the lay out of it and it's easy to share with people. Several friends and family have liked my pictures so much they have ordered prints. The upload is a bit slow but, not a big deal because like I said I can cruise around the net while I'm doing that.

It's this mess on this computer I have where I had a Cannon camera and all that software and pictures from that. Then I got a Sony camera and just threw all that software on. Then I added a Cannon printer/scanner - more software . Then for about the past year I've just used my camera and when it fills (takes 100 pics) I just have transferred them to the computer without naming folders. Also I have to log on names on here so the one I'm on right now by default uses a different program for where the pictures go than the other log on name. (I'm making myself dizzy right now)

Basically, the bottom line is I have thousands of pictures of all different things - parties - holidays - my nieces and nephew - my daughters events......on and on. I don't know how to get them organized and I'm afraid of deleting them. But, there are so many I don't know where to begin.

feeling dumb here. Maybe there is no quick way around it. This computer seems like it's running slower though because there is just too many pictures and movies and software. I was hoping someone might know of some free program that "grabs" all your pictures or something. I have a couple of other computers and one I wanted to just put pictures on only. I started out hours ago and got sick of it and ended up here. Now I'm ready to go back to bed. lol

I am pretty good with the computer but, when it comes to pictures I'm terrible. I'm being lazy today but, it's such a mess.
    thanks for the suggestion though.

Maybe do a search for all jpegs and then you can at least sort them by date into day albums or folders. Then search all tifs or bmps or whatever other formats the pictures are in.

JamiLee, we've heard excellent things about Picasa, but not used it ourselves yet. It is a free software download from Google.

http://picasa.google.com/

Find and enjoy the pictures on your computer in seconds.
    A free software download from Google.

Picasa is software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC. Every time you open Picasa, it automatically locates all your pictures (even ones you forgot you had) and sorts them into visual albums organized by date with folder names you will recognize. You can drag and drop to arrange your albums and make labels to create new groups. Picasa makes sure your pictures are always organized.

Picasa also makes advanced editing simple by putting one-click fixes and powerful effects at your fingertips. And Picasa makes it a snap to share your pictures – you can email, print photos at home, make gift CDs, instantly share via Hello™, and even post pictures on your own blog.

I HOPE someone can help me....we reformatted our hard drive last night, and I cant seem to find Windows Messenger anywhere. Anyone know how I can look for it? I go to "my computer", and try to look there in "C" drive, but it says the files are hidden...
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Leo
    Premium Member
    You shouldn't have to dig for Messenger in your hard drive - a shortcut to it should be somewhere in your Start menu. Look for the shortcut named "Windows Messenger".

There is the possibility that it's not installed on your system. In any event, the version of Windows Messenger that comes with XP is, well, ancient. You can try getting the latest version here. Hopefully, the shortcut to it will be easier to find. I can't be any more specific as I haven't used Windows Messenger in a very long time, and usually end up removing it from my system.

Thanks, Leo. I'm not sure if I want to re-download it again, either. I don't use it hardly ever..so not sure I want to bog my system down with just another program to download.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fogey

Can I Safely Share My Wireless Network??

CAN I SAFELY SHARE MY WIRELESS NETWORK?

This may seem like a goofy question but the truth is, I'm pretty clueless about my new wireless router and how it works. I had it set up so that a 10-digit "key" is required to access it.

I have some new neighbors in my apartment house (a big, old house that's been split into four apartments) and I like them a lot. It seems to be the best batch of people we've ever had here.

I'll tell more about these nice people in the "How Are Your Neighbors?" thread 'cause they're really sweet, but the main thing to know (here) is that I would really like to just let them use my Internet signal that's coming through my router.

Is it possible for me to share my wireless network with my nice neighbors who can catch the signal -- without me having to worry about people hacking into my computers?? I'll just give them the 10-digit key so that the network's still off-limits to others in the 'hood, but I want to make sure that they can't somehow access my stuff.

(If this is a really dumb question, forgive me!)

My rationale for wanting to share is that they're nice people and I've had some great relationships with (other) nice neighbors in the past. I would love to help 'em 'cause my signal and router are already here and set up. I've been paying for my DSL since January and it's only $14.95 through Verizon. I'm never canceling it. I've had my router set up for a few months ago and that's not going anywhere, either.

I'm already paying for this thing so why should my nice neighbors have to incur a monthly Internet charge, too? I' rather share it and be neighborly, 'cause being neighborly has never hurt me -- it's always helped.

My Questions:

1. So do any of you computer experts know if it's safe for me to share by giving them my key?

2. Will they be able to access any files in my computer(s) that are online?

3. Would they be able to change my router settings if they have the key?

4. Will it be a nightmare for me?

THANKS!!

+ Reply to Thread