+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 98 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Can someone please help...

My laptop is locking up on me. The only way to shut it down is to hold the power button but then it doesn't want to start back up because I shut down improperly. I end up having to let it sit for a while. Sometimes, it'll start up but everything is super slow, even the little Windows tune that plays when you start up or shut down drags like it's on a tape player with low batteries. It's really strange.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I would run a defrag on it and then compress or delete all the temporary files. Then run all the Norton (or other Security type of software) on it to see if there are any viruses or any other items that need repair. Then uninstall or remove any extra programs that you don't use or need. I'm not an expert or anything though so this might not work.

I did run a defrag, compressed files, cleared cookies a couple days ago and it's still doing this a few times a day. I'm running a Norton Quick Scan now but the last one I did turned up nothing.

I got this laptop(Sony Vaio) refurbished about 8 months ago. I'm a little worried that might be the problem.

lildago, if you have any warranty on it at all, get it back to the company and let them worry with it!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

lildago, I don't know if this would fix your problem or not, but it's a helpful tool for anyone. I use it once a month or so, and it's found problems I would have never known about, even with regular Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware usage.

(HijackThis, for anyone who doesn't want to click the link)

Leo
    Premium Member
    lildago, queenb is right: If there still is a warranty, go let them worry about it. Problems like the one you have can be tough to troubleshoot.

I'd suggest you check if something is eating up your CPU, making it work harder than it ought to. (Usually spyware or other malware.) Right after booting, but before running anything, hit Control-Alt-Delete. This brings up the Windows Task Manager. Click on the Performance tab. The CPU usage graph should be pretty low - otherwise, something is not right with your system.

One more utility I'd run would be Rootkit Revealer. Some spyware/malware can hide themselves even from HijackThis, and RR is the best tool for finding those.

Ooh, Leo, I don't know if that'll work for lildago or not, but thank you, because I'll definitely be checking that program out.

Thanks everyone. I wish it was still under warranty but it's not.

My husband installed and tried to run some Windows spyware last night but it locked up on him and wouldn't start back up at all. We just left it alone because I was ready to throw the *insert expletive* thing out the backdoor. It did start up this morning and I'm running RR right now. Thanks, Leo! My only concern is that I won't understand all of the technical jargon when it's done.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Thanks everyone. I wish it was still under warranty but it's not.
    I used to have tons of problems with my old Dell laptop and they were so bad that they crashed my hard drive on multiple occasions. I kept the thing after it broke last winter and recently bought and installed the third hard drive for that thing.

In the meanwhile, I ran out and bought two other laptops last winter: a nice one and an average one. On both of ‘em I bought a four year service plan that extends beyond the manufacturers’ warranties.

On both of ‘em (and my crummy old Dell) I installed Norton Antivirus (with anti-spyware) and Webroot Antispyware. I haven’t had any problems yet, and I know that when I do I’ll be covered. Extended service plans are definitely worth the relatively low cost, in my opinion, and a couple of good programs can keep the bugs away, too.

I ran RR and it found 14 discrepancies. I'm not sure I understand half of it.

+ Reply to Thread