+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by happybanana View Post
    veejer, I think the game is Java based, but I do have the most current Java installed. I also have Macromedia installed.

gabriel, I had Internet Explorer 7 Beta installed, and when I couldn't get the games to play, I went back to Internet Explorer 6 to see if that would fix the problem, which it didn't.

Also, I think I should mention I'ved noticed that zone.com is the only place I can't play games in. I've been able to play games at other websites without any problem, such as shockwave.com games. So it definitely is something specific with zone.com.
    WOW! I dumped IE7 Beta and my game zone at MSN works again after I did some digging, heres what I did to make mine work again:

In Internet explorer click on tools>Internet Options, Under temporary internet files click SETTINGS>View Objects
    A folder will open that is labeled Downloaded Program Files and you will need to find PopCapLoader Object, Shockwave ActiveX Control, and ZoneIntro Class. If you right click on each of these I am sure under PROPERTIES>dependency you will find the word "Damaged" instead of a file size. Even if you don't- delete these three things, the close everything you just opened, and shut down internet explorer, then restart your PC, then go back to internet explorer -then if you had shockwave, you need to go to shockwave dot com and download it again. As for the games, when you get to the site you'll get the pop up asking to install..
    I really hope this works for you.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Ok, I have another question in relation to videos I have saved on my computer. I apparently don't have a DVD burner on my 'puter (Damn!) and I don't have any $$ right now to go buy one but I don't want to lose these videos. In order to free up space on my 'puter, can I transfer these videos to a 3.5 floppy disc and save them there until I do get a DVD burner or even take them to someone else who does have a DVD burner and burn them there? When I say videos, I'm talking about performances that have been on TV (AI in particular).
    I want a new computer and I would love to use this as an excuse to buy a new one but I am so BEYOND broke right now that it doesn't even remotely figure in my realm of thinking!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

bb-

Instead of a floppy, I'd highly recommend going with a removable flash drive. There's a thread about it here.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Usually a floppy will only hold 1.4 MB wich isn't very much, I'd go with speedbumps flash drive idea or install another harddrive in your PC.

in banana world
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    WOW! I dumped IE7 Beta and my game zone at MSN works again after I did some digging, heres what I did to make mine work again:

In Internet explorer click on tools>Internet Options, Under temporary internet files click SETTINGS>View Objects
    A folder will open that is labeled Downloaded Program Files and you will need to find PopCapLoader Object, Shockwave ActiveX Control, and ZoneIntro Class. If you right click on each of these I am sure under PROPERTIES>dependency you will find the word "Damaged" instead of a file size. Even if you don't- delete these three things, the close everything you just opened, and shut down internet explorer, then restart your PC, then go back to internet explorer -then if you had shockwave, you need to go to shockwave dot com and download it again. As for the games, when you get to the site you'll get the pop up asking to install..
    I really hope this works for you.
    I did everything you said, and I thought everything was going fine until I tried playing a game and I didn't get the pop up asking to install anything. Instead, I got the same blank screen as always.

However, I did realize something. I can't seem to play any games at all in any website using Explorer. But, when I use Mozilla Firefox, I am able to play games. (Except of course, at zone.com which requires Explorer to be able to play).

So basically I've concluded something's wrong with my Internet Explorer. I've given up though, and I just won't play games at zone.com. It's ok, though, I've made my peace with it.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by happybanana View Post
    I did everything you said, and I thought everything was going fine until I tried playing a game and I didn't get the pop up asking to install anything. Instead, I got the same blank screen as always.

However, I did realize something. I can't seem to play any games at all in any website using Explorer. But, when I use Mozilla Firefox, I am able to play games. (Except of course, at zone.com which requires Explorer to be able to play).

So basically I've concluded something's wrong with my Internet Explorer. I've given up though, and I just won't play games at zone.com. It's ok, though, I've made my peace with it.

Thanks for the replies.
    There has to be something in your settings then. let me think....

Premium Member
    I've had my laptop for almost a month now and have had no problems until now. I always run it on AC power, but last night the plug somehow became dislodged from the surge protector outlet (I don't know how, it's a bitch to plug it in) and I didn't realize it until the warning popped up and said my battery only had 7% power left. So I plugged it back in and it's fully charged now and running on AC power. The thing is, ever since that happened I've had trouble with the touchpad. If I want to click on something nothing happens on the touchpad and have to use the left click button. I can scroll with no problem though. I went into the control panel and it says everything is working fine.

Also, a few times I have accidentally hit the caps lock key and then I can't get it to unlock. That just happened again and it's finally back off now but I have no idea how I got it to unlock.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Marley, I have no idea what's wrong with your computer. It sounds like it is a hardware problem, though... has it ever been dropped onto the floor? That's the only thing which makes any sense. In any case, it should still be under warranty, so I'd see if that would be any help.

Premium Member
    No, it's never been dropped. I've been super careful with it and put it away in the case every night. No reason that I can think of for this. I will dig up the number and call, it's under warranty so should be no problem. I just thought I would check here first. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. Thanks for the response, Leo.

My laptop keeps locking up on me lately. It's frustrating because then it doesn't want to start back up because I didn't shut down properly. So I have to wait a while to get it back on. Any idea what could be causing this?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread