+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 98 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    How and where do you do this, Melitta??? I ended up taking back the unopened Student edition of WORD, et al, as I just didn't want to find out that there was some strange clause in there that you had to continually update it with student I.D.

I'd appreciate any further info on this, Melitta. Thanks in advance!!
    lambikins, your welcome and sorry for forgetting to post the link to the web site!

John, thanks for picking up my slack!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Maybe someone can help me out here.

Every few days or so, all of my Yahoo email accounts stop letting me send email. I don't even get the proper page to write an email in. I have no idea why this happens and eventually it goes back to normal (a few days or a week or more later!). Of course that is quite inconvenient!

There's no number to reach Yahoo and it is not listed in their FAQ section or Help section. Any help welcome.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Try clearing your cache and/or cookies if that happens. It sounds like the page for sending mail in Yahoo isn't loading properly, and clearing those usually solves problems like that.

Brandy, mine was doing that yeasterday, so maybe the problem is with Yahoo itself not us. (?)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks both I will look into both suggestions.

I did wonder if it was just Yahoo though, but hubby's Yahoo worked fine during the same time frames.

One thing that I wondered about too was - since I have different accounts there (I save some for family who send me forwarded joke emails and such as those ALWAYS get spam - which I even tested by only giving them that address and BINGO every time, Lol), does it peg me as a spammer myself?!

I used to keep the main accounts open at the same time and running in the background as I perused sites like this one or read web pages here & here etc. So I would often send an email from one then from the next in reply to an email that had just appeared. So maybe they have implemented software that can somehow tell when a certain ISP is using multiple accounts and thus, disable their "SEND" function as if they are spamming people??

Did that make sense? I know a lot of places are getting all kinds of spamguards set up. Course none of that has helped me avoid tons of spam in the addresses my family sends things to. haha.

How do I clear my cache or cookies?

I go to "Tools", then "internet options", and then click "delete cookies".
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    They're all right here, Lambikins:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Leo Here's a link to all the Microsoft viewers:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...449811033.aspx

10,000 s to the Computer Gods: John and Leo! The sole reason why I wanted those programs, excepting WORD, was to open files that friends and clients were sending me. I finally downloaded ADOBE last week, for free, because I was bombarded in vendor quotes using ADOBE Reader.

It's hard when you're a teeny-tiny business, funding all of your own expenses, and your friends work at MEGA offices, that offer every computer package, fax lines, etc., that they don't personally pay for. I can't thank you guys enough for saving me a boat-load of money on programs I'd never need or use except to open files!!!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Leo
    Premium Member
    Actually, lambi, the Adobe PDF reader isn't all that good either. I find it takes too much resources for the job, which may be an issue for older computers. My personal favorite PDF reader is from Foxit, and you can find info about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Actually, lambi, the Adobe PDF reader isn't all that good either. I find it takes too much resources for the job, which may be an issue for older computers. My personal favorite PDF reader is from Foxit, and you can find info about it here.
    Well, here's a question for you, Leo. I was proudly telling a friend of mine how I decided against installing WORD on my newest computer (the other two laptops came with WORD installed) and how I was planning on installing the Open Office link that you provided.

However, she said, "Do you know how many new programs are out there all the time?! At least with WORD, you'll be guaranteed of your customer's being able to open your attachments and you can't say the same for Open Office or anything else out there with limited exposure."

Well, all I could say is "Thank you for your concern," and then wait until I came HERE to ask you what you think of her response.

I plan on taking a look at the PDF reader that you supplied above. As I said earlier, I only downloaded ADOBE because I received 4 different emails from 4 different vendors that said, "You MUST have ADOBE Reader to open this."

Fine! I got the message and I got the download. Otherwise, I think I could have gone to my grave without ADOBE. ~huff!~

So, what do you think about my friend's opinion of the universal importance of WORD, Leo or other computer geniuses on this thread?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Leo
    Premium Member
    With all due respect, lambi... your friend has her head up where the sun don't shine.

OpenOffice isn't some hack project run from someone's basement. Its biggest backer is Sun Microsystems, and they're not going away any time soon. (They use OpenOffice as the basis of their own pay office suite, which is mainly aimed at the business sector.) Besides, when I recommend a piece of software, either a) I use it myself, or b) is recommended by someone that I do trust, even if I don't use it myself.

As for the interoperability concerens - OpenOffice is perfectly capable of writing to the comparable Microsoft Office format. No big problem there. In addition, it can also create PDF files, something Office can't do unless you pay Adobe for Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader, those are different things)

If your friend wants to pay the insane (in my opinion) amount of money Office costs (thus helping keep Bill Gates on top of the world's richest billionaires list), that's fine. (Little known fact: Office is, in fact, Microsoft's real cash cow - not so much Windows.) In many cases, though, it's perfectly possible and logical to replace paid commercial software with free alternatives.
    Last edited by Leo; 05-10-2006 at 01:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread