+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 98 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

I know so little about computers that I'm always afraid of changing/upgrading a program, afraid that I won't like the new features.

1) I just received an email from MSN/WINDOWS talking about a "NEW!!!" Join the next generation of HotmailŪ and take part in the Windows Live Mail Beta Sweepstakes". I'm not so much interested in the free trip, but am wondering a lot about this "TNG" of Hotmail.

Has anyone else downloaded this program and if so, how do you like it?

2) I needed to buy WORD for my new computer and when I went to OFFICE DEPOT, the sales assistant showed me this box that "had it all": EXCELL, POWERPOINT, OUTLOOK AND WORD. It was only $149.99 because it was an "Educator/Student" edition; seperately, each program sold for $229.00!!!

I haven't opened the box yet, though, because the cashier asked me "What school do you teach at?" and when I replied, "None. Why?", she pointed out that the discounted program was for teachers and students only.

Now, the box lists "homeschooled" kids and Sally is also a student, but I'm wondering: Is this an inferior or "half" program from WORD or POWERPOINT??? What happens once you install it and you graduate? Does the program disappear? (no, not a stoopid question!)

I can still return it, but don't want to pay $229 for just WORD when I can have all FOUR programs instead.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Leo
    Premium Member
    First question: Any changes to Hotmail will be on their end, not yours. You're not going to be able to "download" it. I don't know all the details and it seems to be an okay upgrade. Seems to be mostly a response to Gmail, though.

Second question: As far as I know there aren't any changes in Word or PowerPoint - and it should work fine even after you graduate.

I would reconsider spending that much money just for an office suite. You can give OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) a try. It's a free replacement for Microsoft Office, and at least the Word replacement is as good as Microsoft's product. The others are not quite as polished, but you can't beat free.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    First question: Any changes to Hotmail will be on their end, not yours. You're not going to be able to "download" it. I don't know all the details and it seems to be an okay upgrade. Seems to be mostly a response to Gmail, though.

Second question: As far as I know there aren't any changes in Word or PowerPoint - and it should work fine even after you graduate.

I would reconsider spending that much money just for an office suite. You can give OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) a try. It's a free replacement for Microsoft Office, and at least the Word replacement is as good as Microsoft's product. The others are not quite as polished, but you can't beat free.
    FREE??!! Oooooo, I like the sound of that! I'll have my office savvy partner look at the Open Office site and if she says to me that I'll be able to use it the same as WORD, I'll return the $149.00 program. Powerpoint would be nice for all the silly files that friends send me (which I can't presently open) but it's not worth $149 bucks for videos of idiots on skateboards doing crazy things.

Thanks for also looking into the new "beta" version of Hotmail, Leo. I guess my fear was of the word "beta", which I think was a word associated with old video tapes or something. Thanks, again!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Lambi, I switched my Yahoo over to their version of Beta. One thing I like about it is that it allows me to read an e-mail message without actually opening it. I also have the option to switch back to the old way anytime I want. I don't know if it's the same as hotmail, but it's pretty harmless.

I was going to ask if anyone has tried out this site.

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

It advertises the Windows Live Mail Beta that lambikins was asking about, but this page has a free cleaning for your computer. I have used it several times and have also gone to the site for other downloads. I am testing the free 90day trial of Windows Live OneCare. I have only had it a few days, but so far I am impressed with it. I am not really computer savy, so has anyone else tried or is using the Live OneCare and has any information they would like to share on it? I am very bummed out with the virus software I paid for in January and that is how I came to try the 90 day trial of Live OneCare.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

As far as virus software goes, I've been using AVG anti-virus for a couple of years now. It's free, and it's good.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

lambikins, you can download, for free, Excel, Word and Power Point "viewers". Then you can see those silly files your friends send to you.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta View Post
    lambikins, you can download, for free, Excel, Word and Power Point "viewers". Then you can see those silly files your friends send to you.
    How and where do you do this, Melitta??? I ended up taking back the unopened Student edition of WORD, et al, as I just didn't want to find out that there was some strange clause in there that you had to continually update it with student I.D.

I'd appreciate any further info on this, Melitta. Thanks in advance!!

They're all right here, Lambikins:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

Leo
    Premium Member
    Here's a link to all the Microsoft viewers:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...449811033.aspx

+ Reply to Thread