+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 98 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Help!

Okay. I had a lot of music on Windows Media Player. I may have hit a thing to upgrade it or something. I lost so many songs (a lot I paid for)

Anyone?
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Memory issues

I have a fairly old computer (circa 2001). It has an 18GB hard drive, and that amount of space has served me well. Suddenly, I'm running out of room--I have no idea why. I don't store music or videos on my computer, I've only deleted programs, not added, and the space is just used up. I can't find what is taking up space either. I've defraged, done the disk clean up, scanned for viruses, pretty much everything I can think of, and no luck. Do I just need to add memory, or is there something going on that I'm not thinking of that could be eating up space?

Leo
    Premium Member
    It's hard to say. What you could do is open your hard drive on My Computer, right-click each folder, and investigate which folder (or folders) is taking up a lot of space. Think of it as the computer equivalent of cleaning out the attic. If it hasn't been reformatted since 2001 it's more than overdue for one, anyway. Adding more memory won't help you here at all.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Thanks, Leo. I spent a couple of hours going through the files on my computer, and still can't find one that has anything huge. I made sure I got through all the "hidden" files as well. To be cautious, I did a data dump of all my files aside from the little bit of music I have on my computer, and it took up less than half of the space on a CD. I'm going to spend more time tonight going through it as well, to see if I missed anything. I ran the virus scan last night (yet again) and the only thing that comes up is some stuff in the _Restore files, and I can't get rid of those.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Ah, that could be it. The _Restore files belong to System Restore, XP's "feature" that's supposed to help when things go wrong, the idea being you can go back to a previous setup. Unfortunately, in practice, it doesn't really work. You can turn it off - right click on My Computer, select Properties, go to the System Restore tab, and turn off the whole thing.

Can anyone tell me how to turn off automatic start-up icons? I've got a few that come on everytime I reboot and I can't figure out how to get rid of them!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Disclaimer: I have no technical know-how. At all. For real.

But, this is what I was taught to do: Go to start, and hit "run". Type in msconfig. Press okay. Go to the startup tab. Uncheck the things you don't want to have running. Press apply. Press close. Reboot.

But Leo or someone probably has a better way.

Thanks, Amanda! That seemed to work. When I restarted, I got a box with all kinds of technical jargon that I think was just telling me that my system was reconfigured. I sure hope that's all it was because I clicked OK!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

lildago.... hasn't anyone ever told you to not listen to a chickee with an "I am stupid" avatar???

even though she was right... risky move, lil, risky move..heh
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Actually, that is the best way to get rid of startup items. However, the next time you restart your computer that box will come back again. When that happens, don't click okay - there'll be a check box in it. I can't remember if it's on or off by default, but whatever it is, change it. That'll stop it from coming back after every restart.

+ Reply to Thread