+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 98 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

I think my laptop has a wireless card. Does anyone know what I need to do to use it? When I turn my computer on, I get a pop up that says the wireless card is not connected, wireless service unavailable.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I think my laptop has a wireless card. Does anyone know what I need to do to use it? When I turn my computer on, I get a pop up that says the wireless card is not connected, wireless service unavailable.
    1. If the laptop has a built-in wireless network interface card ("NIC"), some of those laptops have a button above the keyboard that turns the NIC on and off. It will typically be a small button with an icon that looks like a radio antennae. When the light comes on, the wireless NIC is on. When the light is off, the wireless NIC is off. If you don't find this button, don't worry about it.

2. If you've reloaded the operating system (Windows, for example), make sure your drivers for the NIC are updated. If you haven't reloaded the operating system, chances are, the drivers were pre-loaded.

3. This may seem obvious, but I won't assume anything, so I'm going to go ahead and note that you need high-speed Internet access (cable or DSL, for example) at your home, as well as a wireless access point (like the kind produced by Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, et.al.). The former provides your access to the Internet; the latter allows all wireless "clients" (such as your laptop) to "share" the Internet connection.

If you give me your laptop's manufacturer (Sony, Dell, Compaq, etc.) and model no. (X-1000C, for example), I'll look up information on it and provide you with any tips I find online via your PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Thanks, phat! I was hoping you were around. I have a Sony Vaio. I did find the wireless switch in the front.

Oh, you're more than welcome. Did that solve your issue? And, now, I'm hoping you can do me a favor, lildago, and give me your opinion. How do you like your VAIO?

I have a friend who was looking on eBay for a laptop for her little girl. We have many laptops lying unused around the office, and I offered to refurbish one for her and save her some money. Yes, I asked the boss. I'm not stealing. (We can all afford to save more, no?) I'm eyeing the VAIO for this purpose, but I have no experience with them. What do you think of it?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'm not much of a computer guru but I can tell you that I do like this one. We had an HP that was ok and my husband has a Dell from work that I hate using. The Vaio just "feels better" to me. That probably sounds stupid but it's true. The widescreen and resolution are awesome. The colors are vivid and the display is perfect from any angle. The battery capacity, however, sucks! You may get 1.5 hours tops. Maybe the XBrite is a power hog. The other thing I'm not crazy about is it only has a memory stick slot. There's nothing for a SD or XD card. I don't mind using the USB but it would be so much easier if I could just pop in my card!

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    I'm not much of a computer guru but I can tell you that I do like this one. We had an HP that was ok and my husband has a Dell from work that I hate using.
    I don't know. From your digital camera talk to your description of the card slots for the VAIO, you sound to me like you know what you're talking about.

Having said that, yeah, I give you an "I hear that" when it comes to Dell. I have never run into another company like Dell that does not deserve its reputation. I've had nothing but problems with them when it comes to supporting them in a business environment. In non-business situations, their desktop PC's just feel poorly-built to me. I have one now from work that is literally giving me back problems from my lugging it around. That's how heavy it is.

The Vaio just "feels better" to me. That probably sounds stupid but it's true. The widescreen and resolution are awesome. The colors are vivid and the display is perfect from any angle. The battery capacity, however, sucks! You may get 1.5 hours tops. Maybe the XBrite is a power hog. The other thing I'm not crazy about is it only has a memory stick slot. There's nothing for a SD or XD card. I don't mind using the USB but it would be so much easier if I could just pop in my card!
    Thanks. That actually makes perfect sense to me and is very helpful.

My laptop kind of freaked out last night! Seperate profiles can be programmed for each user that personalizes your desktop and contains only your info. When I clicked on my proflie to boot up, it defaulted to some generic profile for Sony Vaio, the way it was when I got it. I reset all of my personal preferences but still couldn't figure out where all of my files where. When I rebooted this morning, it brought me back to the deault page and everything that I reset last night is gone. Anyone know what's going on here?

This is a long post... so get prepared...

I am lost... and need more than a little help.

My father likes to buy the "newest" thing... and its my job to figure out how to make it work. I hate my job. haha!

His lastest purchased is a new PC for home use. Which I live 45 minutes from....

One that was not fully loaded with the basic MS software. Word... Excel... you know the basic stuff that normally comes preloaded.

It is running Windows XP and the graphics are great. But it had only "Notepad" loaded on it. And let me tell you... I have no use for Notepad. There was no typical Word type of program on this new puter of his.

So I went out and purchase MS Suite Works... that clearly stated it had Word 2002 included. So I downloaded all the disc... rebooted... and now I got WordPad! What in the world is Wordpad? The box clearly stated Word 2002.

Now I have made it a point not to update my Word98 on my 3 personal puters... My home desktop... my laptop... then my desktop at work. It took me forever to learn all the stuff it would do... so I don't know if Word 2002 is suppose to look this stupid or not.

Word 2002/Wordpad... what ever it is... will not read the documents from the Word 98. It completely screws up the whole document. I have no idea what to do. And these are documents I wrote using templates from Microsoft's site and just ordinary letters. What am I doing wrong?!?!

So I got this idea..... I will just move Word98 (from his old puter) to the new PC.

Now here comes my #2 issue...

So I got this bright idea to go buy a "PC Relocator" software. Which I got loaded... and it seems to work fine. The problem is... it will not let me simply move Word98 over to the new puter...

It wants to move EVERYTHING from the old PC to the new PC. This is not the answer I wanted.

So I get online go search out the website to this software... only to find out... that it will be another $70.00 to upgrade the flippin' software... just to move Word 98. I am not pleased. Is there such a relocator program that will let me just move a couple of things? That is not going to cost addition 70.00?

Have I mention there was no reason to buy this new puter since he never figured out how to use the old one??

Leo
    Premium Member
    WordPad comes by default with Windows XP. It's a very bare-bones word processor that is not really all that useful.

There are programs that can do what you want, but honestly it's not a good idea. Transporting a program from one PC to another (complete with) settings is not all that easy. It's not something I would do.

What do you exactly mean by "It completely screws up the whole document"? Does the text not appear, or is the formatting just a little different? If it's the latter, then some of that to be expected. It's part of the hazards of upgrading.

If, for some reason or another you can't get Word 2002 to work well for you, you can try downloading a new office suite. OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) is a completely free replacement for Microsoft Office. The Excel and PowerPoint equivalents still need some work, but in my opinion the Word replacement is just fine. It uses its own file format, but it reads Word files too. You can download it for free, and if you're on dialup you can have someone burn it on a CD for you and it'll be completely legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    WordPad comes by default with Windows XP. It's a very bare-bones word processor that is not really all that useful.

If, for some reason or another you can't get Word 2002 to work well for you, you can try downloading a new office suite. OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) is a completely free replacement for Microsoft Office. The Excel and PowerPoint equivalents still need some work, but in my opinion the Word replacement is just fine. It uses its own file format, but it reads Word files too. You can download it for free, and if you're on dialup you can have someone burn it on a CD for you and it'll be completely legal.
    Here is the part I am confused the most about... the software that did get purchased and loaded this weekend clearly stated on the box it was Word 2002. But it looked and worked like Notepad. Notepad made the old documents look like they were all off center... and the margins were messed up... and the fonts used were changed to new times... which I never ever use on any document. Tho I will say when I downloaded the version of Word 2002... the fonts included were added that did match the original doc but the margins and everything else was just as screwing as with Notepad.

So now I have Notepad & Wordpad... which of course looked the same way. They just have different names on them. What did I miss when I read that Word 2002 was just a newer verison of Word 98? Appearantly I missed something and there must be a certain version of Word 2002 I needed to have it work within reason of what 98 would do.

Of course if I found a nice old copy of Word 98 to load up I would do it in a second. It is why I wanted to move the old version over. I don't need to have the newest version of it... I want the version that works and I understand and can answer questions about from my Mother when she calls up in the mist of letter writting...

Of course this computer of his is using a modem. Is the openoffice.org, a program that will take hours to download? Cause I have no way of burning the CD even at work since I don't have the software.

+ Reply to Thread