+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    Yesterday, it was about a tablespoon of diet 7up into my Dell laptop. I blotted it out as best I could with paper towels, but then the keyboard went beserk, then didn't work at all for about 2 hours. It recovered spontaneously, and is ok now, but I'd love to know what I should have done, and what to do next time.

I don't know whether this is an endorsement for Dell , But my son spilled coffee on my Dell laptop. I just flipped it over and let it drain out on to a towel and left it for about an hour . It worked like a charm . I was really surprised (panicky , yelling, cursing) , as I figured it was toast.

Anyone here a MAC user?

Just curious if anyone here has a MAC? I am thinking that my next computer at home might be a MAC. I have never used one, but I like the idea of having a computer that is less prone to viruses, etc., given the fact that most viruses are designed to affect Windows programs. My stepbrother uses nothing but MacIntosh and loves them.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Just curious if anyone here has a MAC? I am thinking that my next computer at home might be a MAC. I have never used one, but I like the idea of having a computer that is less prone to viruses, etc., given the fact that most viruses are designed to affect Windows programs. My stepbrother uses nothing but MacIntosh and loves them.
    My 80 yr old father swears by MACs, so when he upgraded, he refurbished his older one and gave it to my kids. Now, my 10 yr old takes an iBook laptop to school for all of his school work (he has a writing disability and needs to type.) I have mixed feelings about them.

Pros:
    1. some things are just intuitive, more so than with Windows. For instance, when the kids need help downloading something, I can just figure it out and it all falls into place.
    2. the iBook turns on super fast and has phenomenal battery life; and the smallest size iBook (with 12" screen) is the cheapest model, not the most expensive, it still has a CD drive, and it goes in through a slot, not a delicate drawer.
    3. I don't worry about viruses

Cons:
    1. When something doesn't work right, I feel helpless because I have so little experience with MACs
    2. I like my touchpad or mouse pointer to move at lightening speed, and I haven't been able to get either MAC to go fast enough for my taste.
    3. You can't buy software games at regular outlets like Best Buy (I don't know about serious software, since my kids are always wanting games). A lot of titles they want don't even come in MAC OS. There was an educational title I wanted for my son with the writing problem, that really would have helped him organize his work, and it too was not made for MACs.

Overall, I see certain benefits, and Mac is fine my kids who also use it in the computer lab at school, but I don't like it for myself. I have a hard time helping them when they need me "fix" things, and I just can't seem to adjust to the differences. I'm always so happy to get back to my computer after using theirs. Maybe I'm just too firmly set in my Windows ways and not flexible enough to cross over. I dunno. I'm just glad they have the MACs and not me.

I'm having problems with my home page. It's been hijacked so it says, 'about:blank' and I can't change it. I have McAfee virus protection, but it hasn't seemed to detect it. Anyone know that the problem is?
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Miss F, I think that problem can come along with spyware. Try running AdAware or Spybot Search and Destroy. Both are available for free...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Excellent OTS... I'll try that.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I'm having problems with my home page. It's been hijacked so it says, 'about:blank' and I can't change it. I have McAfee virus protection, but it hasn't seemed to detect it. Anyone know that the problem is?
    Yes, it's a variant of a browser hijack called CoolWebSearch. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/c...tml#aboutblank

Spyware and Adaware probably won't get it, you need a special tool called CWSShredder. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/c...tml#cwshredder
    Be sure to hit the "check for updates" button before you let it scan or fix, they update the program all the time.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy

Um, also, I have a computer problem. Mine won't shut down. I click "shut down" and it goes as far as a screen that says "Dell" and there it stays. So I have to shut it down manually, and every time I power back up it says I didn't shut down properly and has to scan stuff.
    This is a fairly recent development, and I suspect I'm to blame; for a while, I was just putting it on "sleep" or whatever every night. It would go that way for days, till it started acting funny, or not reviving when I clicked the mouse, and then I'd shut down and reboot. I don't know if that's the reason, I'm just guessing here.
    So, anyone have any thoughts on what's going on and how I can fix it?
    I haven't had a Dell in years...is the "Dell" screen before the one that would say "OK to shut off your computer now" screen, or is the Dell screen the one you'd use to log back on? Is this XP?
    There's a huge list of stuff here, not sure which if any might help you.
    http://www.tweakxp.com/displayf.aspx?id=10716

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    Yes, it's a variant of a browser hijack called CoolWebSearch. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/c...tml#aboutblank

Spyware and Adaware probably won't get it, you need a special tool called CWSShredder. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/c...tml#cwshredder
    Be sure to hit the "check for updates" button before you let it scan or fix, they update the program all the time.
    Thanks so much... I'll have to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    I haven't had a Dell in years...is the "Dell" screen before the one that would say "OK to shut off your computer now" screen, or is the Dell screen the one you'd use to log back on? Is this XP?
    There's a huge list of stuff here, not sure which if any might help you.
    http://www.tweakxp.com/displayf.aspx?id=10716
    Hm. Well, it's after I click "shut down" but it never DOES shut down, and there's nothing on the page to click on; it's just like a picture of a Dell logo or something. And it's not XP.
    Thanks for the link, though, I'll check it out tonight.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread