+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 98 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

We have several HP printers and have found that incompatibilities exist between certain operating systems (Windows, XP, Windows 2000) and certain printers. Check the printer documentation for compatibility (although I'm sure you've already done that). We had Windows 2003 Server, and a multifunction printer was not supported by that operating system. You might also want to uninstall any previously installed printer software, and then attempt to reinstall. We've successfully done that when things have "hung up." Good luck!
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 12-05-2005 at 05:24 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks Violet. I will check on that. My son was over and tried going through the control panel, but the instructions say not to hook up the printer until the software is installed otherwise it won't install correctly. We have Windows XP in both computers and we do have a multifunction printer in the other one. This particular computer for some reason would not support my digital camera software either but the other one does, so I'm thinking this might be a similar problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Thanks Violet. I will check on that. My son was over and tried going through the control panel, but the instructions say not to hook up the printer until the software is installed otherwise it won't install correctly. We have Windows XP in both computers and we do have a multifunction printer in the other one. This particular computer for some reason would not support my digital camera software either but the other one does, so I'm thinking this might be a similar problem.
    HP printers used to be a breeze. I used to love supporting them. In the last year or so, they've become a royal pain in the ass.

Starlette and ShrinkingViolet have offered good advice, but if you'll post the model number of your printer and your operating system, I'll go to the HP Web site and look at the support page for your model. My kneejerk reaction is that HP may have caused some confusion with their "business" and "home" drivers. I've had to download and install the "home" drivers in business environments before while doing printer support. What's the difference and why should it matter whether you're at home or at work? Who knows?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

All right, now I need some help.

I've been tasked with setting up a laptop for a 12-year-old girl. I've been told to load it up with everything that a 12-year-old may need so that she can enjoy it on Christmas day, right out of the box.

Here's my problem: I don't have a single clue what 12-year-old girls like to do on the computer (no jokes, please). I mean, does she need an instant messenger? If so, what kind? Does she need iTunes? A list of links to things like NeoPets? Are NeoPets even popular among that age set anymore??

Any help--especially from the parents--would be greatly appreciated.

Muchos gracias.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    HP printers used to be a breeze. I used to love supporting them. In the last year or so, they've become a royal pain in the ass.
    And that my dear phat32 is the reason I do NOT deal with HP, Lexmark or anything but Canon.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    if you'll post the model number of your printer and your operating system, I'll go to the HP Web site and look at the support page for your model.
    Windows XP Home, printer is HP PSC 1400 All-in-one series. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Windows XP Home, printer is HP PSC 1400 All-in-one series. Thanks.
    Marley, was this the page you found when you did a search for HP drivers? Now I can see why you were confused.

Is the model number on the printer actually 1400? Or is there a more exact model number? Without more information, yeah, I would hesitate to point you toward any of these.

I'm going to do a little more research and PM you with what I find.

Marleybone, I know someone who works for HP, and he recommended this HP site for problems.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?dlc=en&lc=en&product=1103491&lang=en&cc=us&rule=42519

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    All right, now I need some help.

I've been tasked with setting up a laptop for a 12-year-old girl. I've been told to load it up with everything that a 12-year-old may need so that she can enjoy it on Christmas day, right out of the box.

Here's my problem: I don't have a single clue what 12-year-old girls like to do on the computer (no jokes, please). I mean, does she need an instant messenger? If so, what kind? Does she need iTunes? A list of links to things like NeoPets? Are NeoPets even popular among that age set anymore??

Any help--especially from the parents--would be greatly appreciated.

Muchos gracias.
    Ok..I don't know how much help I can be since I have a 12 year old boy but I know that there are a couple of links that he goes to fairly often that could be unisex.
    Answers.com is a site he uses for homework sometimes (along with askjeeves.com)
    movies.com is to look at upcoming movie trailers
    pogo.com is a game site he plays different games on

Any TV shows she's crazy about? My son is a Lost fanatic so he goes to anything related to Lost. He likes American Idol so he goes to the Fox website for that....Don't know if any of that helps you or not....thought I'd give it a shot!

Premium Member
    Marley, was this the page you found when you did a search for HP drivers? Now I can see why you were confused.

Is the model number on the printer actually 1400? Or is there a more exact model number? Without more information, yeah, I would hesitate to point you toward any of these.

I'm going to do a little more research and PM you with what I find.
    Thanks phat, I am leaving for work now and won't be back until tomorrow morning so I'll check it out then.

I looked on the last page of the user guide and found this number:
    Regulatory Model Number: SDGOB-0503 Maybe that will help.

Violet - I'm pasting that link into an e-mail for my husband to check out. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread