+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 98 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Great, Melitta! I need to adjust something similar and didn't know where to go. Thanks for posting the solution.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Does anyone know what would cause JPG files to be converted to DAT files? All of my Mom's pictures are now DAT files and cannot be opened. My sister was messing around on her computer with either her scanner or cd burner I can't remember but now all her pictures are gone. I'm sure there's no recovering them but we just can't figure out how they got changed to these DAT files. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    Does anyone know what would cause JPG files to be converted to DAT files? All of my Mom's pictures are now DAT files and cannot be opened. My sister was messing around on her computer with either her scanner or cd burner I can't remember but now all her pictures are gone. I'm sure there's no recovering them but we just can't figure out how they got changed to these DAT files. Anyone?
    Check this out: http://ask-leo.com/whats_a_dat_file.html

At a guess, without knowing more, I would say that when your sister was messing around with the computer, she changed the "file association" of the JPEG, GIF or whatever format the photos were saved as. In other words, Windows "associates" a program with each file type. .pdf is associated to Adobe, .mp3 may be associated to iTunes, Windows Media Player, or whatever you use to play music.

When your sister was messing around with the computer, she may have inadvertently changed the file association so Windows now does not "know" which program to use to open image files (read: your photos), so it tags 'em with the .dat extension because Windows now only knows they contain data, and that's it.

This depends on what version Windows you have. I run Windows XP, and this is what I would do:

-Right click on one of these photos.

-Rename it to [photo-name].jpg, where [photo-name] = "MyVacation" or whatever.

Try opening it with whatever program you used to open photos before. If it works, great. Only now, you have to do that to all of them. I wish I had better news for you, but I don't, unfortunately.

This is my best guess at the moment.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Ho ho ho! Tis the season to send out a bunch o' stuff!

If you're like me, and your handwriting is all but illegible, then mailing labels are the way to go. You can do Avery or one of the Target brand knockoffs, but if you do, try the online label printing tool at www.avery.com . Click on "Avery Print" at the top, far right, and just follow the prompts to create sheets of custom labels.

Here's an example of one I made in five minutes:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Okay, nothing like waiting until the last minute....

I'm pulling at all-nighter to finish a huge paper and I'm having "issues" with Word (this means that I am on the verge of screaming and throwing my computer out a window... or sending Microsoft hate mail).

Here's my problem: I am writing about art and am inserting images into the paper (vs. at the back in an appendix). I've been using the "Insert Caption" command to add captions to each figure. Everything was going fine until the third image. Where the first two captions were fine and surrounded by a thin border and flush with the bottom edge of the image, the third caption doesn't have the border and I can't get it to move close enough to the image. I managed to do some weird stuff with another text box to get it to look the same, but it's driving me nuts. I didn't change any of the settings. The fourth image is coming soon and I'm going to lose it if I have the same problem again. I'd probably have this stupid thing done if I hadn't spent so much time messing with that one image and caption

Of course, the fact that I've been up since about 9 on Wednesday morning and am on my 10th (at least) cup of strong, black tea could be adding to the problems

If anyone can help in the next few hours, I'd appreciate it
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey
    Geez, Critical, I hope your troubles worked out okay for you.

I've watched all the computers in my personal life kick the bucket over the last several months and I'm completely without one at home for the time being.

I MISS THE FORT!!!

But the good news is that I should be getting my new laptop delivered by the 16th of the month, and I'll be back online (like in the olden days) soon.

It's a terrible thing to be addicted to this great place and then not be able to come here after work, and I'll be a happy camper when I'm back online in the middle of this month.

New laptop - very cool.

Critical, I wish I could have helped. Can you make the image with the caption in Irfan or Paint, then import it? No help to you now, I know.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member
    We are having a little dilemma. Last week hubby broke the printer so we had to get a new one. We have not been able to get the new software to install. It sits there for several minutes doing nothing and then a pop up says another program is already installing and we need to complete that first. There shouldn't be anything else installing. We have another printer upstairs on a different computer so we tried installing that one thinking if it worked we would just switch them, but the same thing happens. Anyone have any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    We are having a little dilemma. Last week hubby broke the printer so we had to get a new one. We have not been able to get the new software to install. It sits there for several minutes doing nothing and then a pop up says another program is already installing and we need to complete that first. There shouldn't be anything else installing. We have another printer upstairs on a different computer so we tried installing that one thinking if it worked we would just switch them, but the same thing happens. Anyone have any thoughts?
    If you're using XP, you might be able to get the driver to install automatically. If you go to Control Panel -> Printers & Faxes -> Add a printer (on the left side) -> Automatically install and detect the printer and so on. I lost the software for my printer but was able to use this method to get around that. I hope this helps! You can also try the manufacturer's webpage for support or downloads.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

Premium Member
    Thanks Starlette. We did try the HP webpage and tried downloading it from there but that didn't work either. I will ask Mr. Marleybone if he's tried the control panel route.

+ Reply to Thread