+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 109 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Leo
    Premium Member
    I shut down mine, but that's because the fans inside are too loud to leave on all night.

I shut mine down at night....otherwise, it's on left in sleep mode during the day. I like to shut it down for the night though, because my pc tech service guy told me it was good to shut it down at night...less dust going into those fans.
    "Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

On a related note, should I be shutting off my monitor at night if I shut down the computer?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Leo
    Premium Member
    Personal opinion: yes. It still consumes a tiny bit of energy if it's not turned totally off. I don't know if there's any good reason to leave a monitor on if not in use.

What I do here is everything computer-related - the CPU itself, printer, monitor, speakers, everything - passes through a cheap surge suppressor. It's not there for the protection - it's just a convenient place to turn everything off. Shut down from Windows, turn off the UPS, then turn off the surge suppressor. Everything is completely turned off unless it's in use.

I do the same, Leo. It's just easier that way.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    On a related note, should I be shutting off my monitor at night if I shut down the computer?
    Lucy, I shut my monitor off at night.
    "Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." ~ Corrie Ten Boom

Thanks for the input. My computer is super duper quiet. I usually leave it on and it goes into sleep mode after 5 hours. I am guessing that it would be better turning it off at night as this computer has air vents in the front and the back. I know that they are there to keep it running super cool, but a lot more places for dust to get into. I also have everything hooked up to a surge protector, one button and everything is off.

On how to clean your computer. Does everyone use canned air or has anyone found another but just as effective way to clean the computer? We live in the country, in a valley, so we (even in Texas) can leave our windows open quite a bit because of the breeze we get. Which also means more dust than normal in the house during the spring and fall seasons, but a lot cheaper electric bill.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I use office depot canned air and a little bitty paint brush, but then again I am opening my units up and wiping the fans, the heat sinks, etc., not recommended for your everday user unless you really know whats up.
    - The Dean Martin Show -
    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

https://www.facebook.com/paul.bischoff.12

OK, this is probably a dumb question but I don't know the answer. What is the best way for me to go online when I travel to visit my California family? My husband just bought me a laptop (early Christmas gift). Here at home, we have Verizon Fios. However, my aunt that I'll be staying with doesn't have cable. Will I need another ISP to use dial-up? I don't think I'll last three weeks with no internet!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Lildago, I don't know what Verizon Fios is. However, I do have to get online from my laptop in various places for work. I have Earthlink dial-up, and a wireless card.
    So you could get a cheap dial-up service (Earthlink works well) and just make sure it has a local number in your aunt's area, and that way you can get online through her phone. Problem if she wants to USE the phone, but probably your best short-term solution.
    Alternatively, you could buy a wireless card for less than $100. But make sure again that there is wireless access somewhere near her house -- like a Starbucks or something.
    Last edited by Lucy; 10-27-2005 at 11:02 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread