+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 98 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

A few of ya'll helped me a few months ago when my HP computer was giving me problems. Turned out it wasn't going to be worth the trouble to fix the HP. So, I got me a Dell. I haven't had it quite a month yet, but boy do I love this computer!! It is a Dell Dimension 5100, you can't even hear this thing running and I am sitting right next to it. Came with Windows Media XP, Pentium 4 with 2MB, 1 GB SDRam, 128 MB ATI Hyper memory, 160GB Serial ATA hard drive, 9 in 1 media card, DVD burner, 19" flat panel monitor, key board and mouse. Plus, ton's of other software (Words, Paint Shop Pro ect.) With the discount I get through my husbands work, I got a $1700 computer system for $930, which I get to pay off at 0% interest until Jan.07. I just wish I had opted to pay the extra $$ and added the TV tuner.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

FORT Fogey
    I've been away from the FORT a lot this summer 'cause my laptop hasn't been working well and my destop is too old to do much online, so I'm about to buy a couple of computers for my home.

Do you guys have any thoughts on whether one should buy Intel Celeron or Intel Pentium processors?

For home (i.e., pretty light and easy) use, does it really make a difference?? I'd save money if I went with the Celerons. . . .

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Pom, unless someone is going to use that PC for heavy-duty gaming, a Celeron should be just fine.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Pom, unless someone is going to use that PC for heavy-duty gaming, a Celeron should be just fine.
    Thanks for that reassurance, Leo, 'cause my colleagues tell me I should stick with Pentiums but I'm thinking, "If Celerons were so bad then Dell wouldn't be selling so many of them."

There'll be no heavy-duty gaming going on at The Pomeranian Shack, only heavy-duty typing in FORT Show Discussion threads!!!

I figure, too, that the machines'll have a warranty, so even if they fail I'll be covered. They're just so, so, so much more affordable than the computers with Pentiums; I think it's worth a shot and I'll let you all know how they work.

Pom, I wondered what had happened to you! I'll back Leo up-- you would have to be doing something a lot more advanced than fiddling around FORT, emailing, and editing a few photos before you would need a Pentium chip. For the things most of us actually use our computers for, you won't be able to tell a difference in performance at all. There's a few other things they tend to overload computers with for the average user anymore also. Just bear in mind that these days, a $500 or so machine will blow away what you paid more than twice that for a few years ago!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Pomeraniac, if you go with a Dell system they come with very short warranties, usually for free. To get the longer warranty you will really pay for it. A four year warranty was going to up the cost on my system by $700. I took my chances and opted for the free 6 month warranty. I really hope I am not sorry I took the chance. I have a few friends who work on the assembly line at Dell and they said that one way Dell makes a lot of their money, is huge charges for the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    Pomeraniac, if you go with a Dell system they come with very short warranties, usually for free. To get the longer warranty you will really pay for it. A four year warranty was going to up the cost on my system by $700. I took my chances and opted for the free 6 month warranty. I really hope I am not sorry I took the chance. I have a few friends who work on the assembly line at Dell and they said that one way Dell makes a lot of their money, is huge charges for the warranty.
    I think the warranty issue partly depends on whether you have a laptop or a desk top. I had my old Dell laptop (which was later stolen but that's another story) for exactly 1 year and two days before the hard drive went wonky. That was when it came with a free 1 year warranty. Luckily for me, the hard drive itself had a three year warranty from the manufacturer. The manufacturers don't do that anymore according to my tech guy. He recommended paying for a three year warranty on my current Dell laptop. He wasn't nearly as concerned about upping the warranty on the desktop.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    I think the warranty issue partly depends on whether you have a laptop or a desk top. . . .

[My tech guy] recommended paying for a three year warranty on my current Dell laptop. He wasn't nearly as concerned about upping the warranty on the desktop.
    That makes sense, given that the laptop's the one that I'll lug around Boston with me on a lot of weekdays, and it's the one I'll have on the nightstand, where it's likely to get exposed to lots of Pomeranian hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta
    To get the longer warranty you will really pay for it. A four year warranty was going to up the cost on my system by $700.
    WOW, I had no idea that they charge so much!!!

I appreciate your input, you guys, 'cause you've given me something else to factor into my decision!

For sure, a laptop should have an extended warranty, 'cause I've had mine fail too many times and I don't want the new one to become useless before its time.

I will look at warranties offered by the manufacturers, too, rather than just at which computer looks good to me.

It's a lot of work to shop for a new computer these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    He wasn't nearly as concerned about upping the warranty on the desktop.
    Mariner, with this quote you ease my mind some about not getting the expensive extended warranty. I know that you didn't intentionally do it, but thank you!

My question would be do ya'll turn off your home desk top computers every night or do you leave them on?

I leave all of my desktp PCs on all the time, except I shut them down 2 x a year so I can open them up and clean the dirt, dust etc off the processor heat sink, clean the fan slots, etc etc, and my laptop gets shut down whever I bag it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread