+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

Igotalife, some versions of IE (I think this includes the most recent one) do not clear the autocomplete list when clicking on "clear history". You know - the list that comes up as you type something in the, say, google search box. A file called index.dat can store that information. So I guess the best way is for you to go to google and click inside the textbox and browse through the search terms for something strange. This is obviously assuming the person used google. I know it's a stretch, but the only other way I would be to recover the deleted history file and that is extremely hard to do.

Another thing you could look at is "Microsoft's really hidden files". When you delete the temporary internet files, some actually remain in a very well hidden location. It is pretty hard to take these files out, but they do contain information about where your browser has been. Here's a txt file about deleting (and maybe looking through) them:

http://botanical.com/etc/mshidden.txt
    Last edited by Zaius; 08-16-2005 at 07:11 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Thanks for the link Zaius ...very interesting indeed on the index.dat file and hidden files within Microsoft Windows. I will try some of the stuff the article makes reference to.

Lucy
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Igota, if your computer is running any security software, there may be logs there.

We use Norton Internet Security Professional and if you are too, I could walk you through how to get to the logs.

FORT Fogey
    May I run my laptop problem by you? I can't afford $80/hour for a home consultant right now!!

I can't boot up anymore, and I get an error that says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows root\system32\hal.dll
    Please reinstall a copy of above file.

Have any of you ever seen this? I tried reinstalling Windows XP Professional but the CD I have is an upgrade (I used to be on Windows 98) and I don't have the original Windows 98 CD.

I also went to the Microsoft site and read this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320252

and downloaded a copy of the hal.dll to disk. The problem is, I can't boot up my computer so I can't get it to read the file on the disk!!

I'm bummed 'cause I can't use my laptop and I MISS THE FORT!!!

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Pomeraniac; 08-19-2005 at 01:01 PM.

How do you switch users on Mozilla Firefox. It wouldn't let me log under one of the names, so I switched to the default settings, but now I don't know how to get back.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    How do you switch users on Mozilla Firefox. It wouldn't let me log under one of the names, so I switched to the default settings, but now I don't know how to get back.

Thanks in advance!
    Nevermind, I found my answer. You have to run firefox.exe -p

I've been having an issue and I don't know if anyone else is or what's going on. My browser occasionally just will not open threads or PMs here -- I'll click on something and get a white, blank page and a line at the bottom of the browser saying "done." No, it's NOT done. It sometimes does this in Yahoo as well, so it's not the site. I've cleared out my cookies and temporary internet files, and it still is doing this. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? I was using Internet Explorer, switched to Mozilla and it still happened.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Computer Question

There are many computer whizzes here so I was wondering if any of you knew if all messenger conversations get saved automatically in the computer? If so, how would you find the file where they are stored? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I've been having an issue and I don't know if anyone else is or what's going on. My browser occasionally just will not open threads or PMs here -- I'll click on something and get a white, blank page and a line at the bottom of the browser saying "done." No, it's NOT done. It sometimes does this in Yahoo as well, so it's not the site. I've cleared out my cookies and temporary internet files, and it still is doing this. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? I was using Internet Explorer, switched to Mozilla and it still happened.
    Not very tech-ie, but mine got where it was doing this quite a lot , only at other sites. I'd click on whatever, and it immediately seemed to think it was 'done'. De-fragging the machine seemed to help some, but not much. The computer columnist at our paper often suggests, for unknown glitches like this, just turn the computer off, unplug it, plug it back in. About 50% of the time it works or seems to for whatever reason. It does seem that mine only does this rarely now!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaLaruefan
    There are many computer whizzes here so I was wondering if any of you knew if all messenger conversations get saved automatically in the computer? If so, how would you find the file where they are stored? Anyone know?

Thanks!
    I don't know about other IM clients, but for Yahoo can. Check your preferences to see if it does. You also view them from inside YM.

+ Reply to Thread