+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 98 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Computer help desk

i just bought a couple of dells for two girls in the office.. cost me around $450 each w/out monitors.
    2.4gz celeron
    512 ram
    40 gig hd
    win xp home
    dvd rom
    cd/rw
    $428 to be exact..

i also bought a much better dell for my boss..
    Dimension 4700 Series,Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.2GHz)
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz
    128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
    40GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,Service Pack 2,English
    Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card
    56K PCI Data Fax Modem
    48x CD-ROM Drive and 16X DVD+/-RW
    Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD Audio,100dB/Dolby Digital/96KHz/7.1
    no speakers, no monitor --> $957

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    By the way, it's a 1999 Dell, running Windows 98. And I have the original manual and I THINK the original disk. Although the manual is no help -- its troubleshooting section has things like how to connect the mouse. Thanks, I got that -- where's the section for "Six years later, when things go bad"?
    you really should buy a new computer.. you should think of a computer like you do a leased car.. just allocate a certain amount of money per year for a computer.. or at least dont think of the computer as "oh no, i just spent $1k on a PC".. you should allocate that $1k over how long you think it will be up to speed... and everyone has their own speed.. personally i used to need a new PC every two years minimum when I was gaming but now my pcs will last a bit longer 3-4 years... but if email and web surfing is your only thing then get a good pc and it will last you another 5 years.. $1k / 5 years = $200/year... not much considering the value received in return.. just make sure you buy a pc that is not behind the times already or that thing wont last long enough to warrant the invesmet and you'll be kickng it after a couple of years...

i have a bad ass alienware at home that's already a year and a half old and still faster than most.

Thanks, Novalia. So if you bought Dells for the office, you're saying you recommend Dell?
    I was looking at the Dell 3000 Celeron, which Dell has on its site for $519 at the moment (with a monitor, but not many other bells and whistles). It looks decent, and while I understand you get what you pay for, I'm on a budget. And I fully expect whatever I buy to be obsolete in two years anyway. I really just use the computer for writing and the Internet.

Anyway, I'm trying to squeeze some more life out of my old one until I order a new one and it arrives. Poking around web advice, it seems I either have a virus or my hard drive is dying. I'm betting the latter.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy, can you boot from a floppy?

Not sure yet, Veejer -- I got my sister to make me a startup disk today (she has the same computer) and I'm going to try that tonight, although I'm not sure how to do it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just got a book, "Degunking Windows" by Paraglyph Press. Has anyone used this? It looks like it's pretty easy to follow. With 3 teenagers it's anyone's guess what is going on in my computer, but it is sloooooow.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I just got a book, "Degunking Windows" by Paraglyph Press. Has anyone used this? It looks like it's pretty easy to follow. With 3 teenagers it's anyone's guess what is going on in my computer, but it is sloooooow.
    Sounds like it might be a good book. Why not have one of the teens clean up the thing for you. clear the IE history, run lavasoft adaware, defrag the thing, etc etc., I am sure it will all be covered in the book....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Hahahahahaha - now I know how my students feel when I'm teaching them a foreign language. That's actually a good idea to get the kids to do it. I would like to improve my knowledge, though and I will have a lot of free time this summer.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey
    Does anyone know what the recycler is for? Can it be deleted?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    Does anyone know what the recycler is for? Can it be deleted?

Thanks
    If by the recycler you mean the recycle bin, nope gotta keep it, that is where all the files you delete go. If your recycle bin has stuff in it, you can empty it, something that should be done periodically. I generally empty mine every month. But if you delete a lot of stuff you can empty it anytime.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread