+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voting

Voting

I've just been to vote in the European Election for the European Parliament. There has been lots of media attention recently as to public apathy about voting in general. I live in a democracy and feel that it is my duty to vote. People have died throughout the world for this right so why waste the opportunity to have your say even if the candidate you voted for is not elected. And I get fed up with people complaining about politicians and then saying they didn't bother voting! Do you vote in elections in your country and is there also a lot of public apathy? Really interested to hear others views.

on vacation
    I think there is apathy here in the US about voting. I personally feel that people should exercise their right to vote and try and change what we can, but also realize that the average person does not feel that they are listened to or count when it comes to partinism and politicians.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

If all those people who sit home on election day because they feel "their vote doesn't count" would actually get up and vote... I bet you it WOULD make a difference...
    I'm from a country which has the highest voting percentage in the world & I'm kind of sad to see the huge apathy when it comes to voting here in the US, as it's one of the biggest most powerful democracies in the world & you'd think it would be that more important to actually go to the voting booth.

I can't vote yet but I'm in the process of getting my citizenship so I CAN and I will vote once my rights are there =) (Going to get fingerprinted today as a matter of fact... altho I probably won't be a citizen in time for this year's election:-))
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Congrats in advance, Wyndemere!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    I'm from a country which has the highest voting percentage in the world
    No way Norway has the record, I'm sure we do (Denmark). Don't tell me we got beaten by Norway...

I'm not allowed to vote. Danes who don't live in Denmark don't get to vote except if they don't work for a Danish company. I hate not being able to vote, and I think it's a stupid law. I can follow politics from here using the internet, and I am certainly not emmigrating, I'm just doing research in a foreign country.

When I could vote, I voted in every election.

I have voted since I was legally able. The year I turned 18 happened to be an election year and I turned 18 about a week before elections. I make great pains to get out and vote because I believe my vote does count. My husband voted for the first time in the most recent provincial elections .. because I made him drive me to the polling station I think I have my plan of action!
    Voter's Apathy upsets me because its your chance to have a say and possibly make positive changes. (although it doesnt help that everything you voted for is forgotten once the party is in power)
    Exercise your right to vote its never a waste.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

One person who comes to my mind when talking about voting is my darling husband. I don't think he has registered since he moved back to States (and I remember to nag ). I think it is a duty as well as right of every citizen to vote. I will have to drive 5 hours to Atlanta or 11 hours to Dallas (to vote in Finnish elections), but there is no question in my mind that I would not go. Absolutely I will go if possible, we will have a long weekend city vacation or something similar. I have voted before abroads, but that luckily required under two hours driving. And I did not think it was too troublesome, more of a pleasant day trip. It was quite funny when we finally found the place, there were several women, and then there were their husbands (who were complaining how their wives are forcing them to vote I guess I fit the picture.) At home I vote in every single little election there is, but I think only the presidential elections are the ones they arrange for people living abroad (in Finland that is, I could be wrong, but I haven't received any information about smaller elections).
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I'm confused, for those of you living abroad, except for Astrogirl it sounds like, you can't vote by mail? I was able to mail a vote when I was an exchange student in college. Tirlittan, do you have to appear in person at an embassy?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I think every country has their own laws and regulations regarding voting. e.g In our national parliamentary elections, we mark an X against one candidate. In the Euro election today we vote by proportional representation and list candidates in preference 1,2,3, etc. Please don't ask me to explain PR. It's extremely confusing but in theory more representative of the public's vote.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I'm confused, for those of you living abroad, except for Astrogirl it sounds like, you can't vote by mail? I was able to mail a vote when I was an exchange student in college. Tirlittan, do you have to appear in person at an embassy?
    If I could vote, I'd have to go to an embassy or consulate. Or, I could vote in advance if I was home for vacation. You can't vote for a person in advance, but you have vote for a political party. I'd drive 4 hours to DC or New York if I could vote. Voting is important.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast