+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Voting

FORT Fogey
    Voting is the one way that we can all back-up our belly-aching by actually doing something about it.

As Astrogirl said, even if your candidate does not win, at least you know in your heart that you did your part to elect those public officials whose views most reflect your own. So it is very frustrating to hear someone say "what difference does my one vote make."

I think that the only wasted vote is a vote not cast.

But at the same time it is extremely important to be educated as to the platform of those you are voting for. Know who they are and what they stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I'm confused, for those of you living abroad, except for Astrogirl it sounds like, you can't vote by mail? I was able to mail a vote when I was an exchange student in college. Tirlittan, do you have to appear in person at an embassy?
    Can't vote by mail, you have to vote in person, even if you vote beforehand because they want to confirm by ID that it is in fact you voting. Embassy is one place, and then they have smaller places spread throughout United States, but quite far apart. They are places like consulates, trade centers, and (naturally) Nokia headquarters .
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Voting is important. Nothing drives me crazy more than people complaining about the govt then saying they don't vote. Well, if you would vote maybe you could help change the problems.

Congrats, Wyndemere!
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I have voted in every Provincial, Federal and Municipal election that I have been eligible for. I have also worked on a few campaigns over the past few years as well. I'm pretty political.. if you guys hadn't noticed.. I took a few years of Poli Sci in University.. I suppose that's where my political fire comes from..

I like hearing people complain about the politician and when I ask if they voted and they say no, I tell them "shut the hell up, you don't have a right to bitch if you didn't vote." I vote for every election, from city to federal. I may not have voted on the winning side, but I tried my best.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I have voted in every election since 1970--local, state, and presidential. That gives me a right to complain.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Voting is compulsory in Australia. Once you're enrolled in the electoral roll, you must vote or you may get a small fine. I have voted in every local, state and federal election as well as a referandum as well.
    I rather lurk than post.

I've voted ever since I was old enough and I've never missed......even if it's just for local or state issues.

I was floored when I asked the 23-year-old son of one of my friends who he was leaning towards in the upcoming election. He told me he's not registered and had no intention of doing so. When I asked him why, his answer was.............drumroll please............he doesn't want to be called for jury duty.

Trying to hold myself back from choking him, I regained my composure enough to ask him who he thought he =would= vote for if he were registered. He said, "I dunno. I don't know anything about it. So, what's the deal?.........Democrats are for the people and Republicans are for business, or what?" I just told him it's not that simple and left it at that.

I hope his attitude isn't indicative of they way most young people think. That would be sad, to say the least.
    Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind

FORT Fogey
    While I am minoring in Political Science, and I know quite a few young people who are quite involved in politics, and knowledgable as well, I find outside of my University, most younger voters have no clue who stands for what, and couldn't care less.

I work for county government. During our last election when my boss was up for election I asked my employees if they were registered to vote. I was shocked at how many were not. I campaign hard with the employees and all became registered voters. We are allowed time off from work to go vote so there is no reason not too. We will have a primary election coming up in August and I will once again start "nagging" each person to make sure he/she is registered and go vote. The young employees have enjoyed going to vote, they feel they are making a difference.
    My philosophy is the same as several others, if you don't vote, I don't want to hear the complaining.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast