+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!

Will don't have any fun. madbanana's Avatar

Help!!

Haha okay....I need to make a final speech in english....But i cant think of any topics

Does anyone have any ideas???.....I wanted to write on reality tv...And how money pushes people to do crazy things but someone is doing something simmilar to that.....

But ya im stressin bout this!!!....And remember im only in grade 10 so nothing TOO complicated

Hehe...Thanking you all in advance
    peace;
    it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    Ohhhh... when i was in year 11 (equivalent to Grade 10 US) I stressed so much on trying to come up with an essay idea... i wrote about the stress... if you wanna borrow the idea:

1. Write about what the teacher said in class and a brainstorm session.
    2. Say that you can't come up with an idea after doing all this stuff
    3. Write about quickly writing an essay/speech up
    4. The teacher likes your work and makes you read it out: "How to avoid doing your sppech/essay"

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    In my opinion is reality tv would be a great subject. When is your paper due? How long does it have to be? Do you have to present it orally? (I know, I'm such a geek )

There are so many ways you could approach the subject: With reality tv as a theme, you could go in so many different directions! You could concentrate on one particular show (I think Survivor or American Idol would be the easiest since there is so much information about both shows.) I don't think I'd want to overwhelm your audience with too many details and such. I'd probably stick to the point of the show, the characters and what they do or don't do (greed, lazy, sleezy and dishonest) to win the coveted prize. Of course you'd want to mention what an interesting character study that particular show was; if you think the producers pick certain contestants to fill certain stereotypes or characters, and how it all plays out. Sounds to me like it might be a fun experience for you.

Another thing I learned (but not until college) was if the report is oral, and the teacher asks for volunteers, try to present yours early in the running. If you go early, you will not be trying to compete with other people's standards, which is stressful in itself. The other members of the class have no expectations, so you probably won't be judged nearly as harshly. And the best part of it all: you get it overwith and can sit back and listen to the other students present their papers with out the stress of worrying about how your paper will compare.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

FORT Fan
    if its a speech.. why not make it a declamation?

write it as if you were a contestant who is either auditioning to be on a reality show(YOULL DO ANYTHING TO BE THERE!), already on a reality show(I DUNNO... I HAVE TO WIN AND I DONT CARE HOW...i guess) or make it an aftermath of the show...

is this some kind of contest? i used to join oratorical contests when i was in grade school and high school... well if it was, the judges tend to like declamations better than orations.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee0521
    if its a speech.. why not make it a declamation?

write it as if you were a contestant who is either auditioning to be on a reality show(YOULL DO ANYTHING TO BE THERE!), already on a reality show(I DUNNO... I HAVE TO WIN AND I DONT CARE HOW...i guess) or make it an aftermath of the show...

is this some kind of contest? i used to join oratorical contests when i was in grade school and high school... well if it was, the judges tend to like declamations better than orations.

Excellent post! I like the auditioning idea.

You could also do a piece on how some people (especially around Hollywood) despise reality TV cause in their opinion it's a "Cheap & easy way to stardom" as opposed to what most people have to do to become rich & famous, which is start at the bottom & Work their way up... facing rejection letters & constant uphill battles.

(Despite that a lot of these people have no talent and would probably not even make it in a reality show & most of the winners in reality TV shows are awesome artists & Deserve to win) ....

It's kind of an interesting feud going on between Hollywood & Reality TV, it's an annoying one but it's interesting.... =)
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

I love all your ideas....But someone is writing on reality tv:O:O!!!!!

I still cant think of anythin!!!

But thanks for all your ideas
    peace;
    it does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. it means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart

Okay nevermind the girl that was planning on writing about reality tv changed her topc...So i will be writing it on reality tv....Ill post my speech on here when its done if you like
    peace;

You've probably already planned out your speech, MadBanana, but I had a nerdy thought, since you said it's for English class: you could compare reality tv, which is popular but looked-down-upon, to authors of earlier periods who were, in their day, also considered "popular" ("popular" here being a sneer -- appealing to people's baser interests, rather than the rarefied high literature stuff).
    Jane Austen was thought of as a popular author in her day, and many critics treated her like many people treat Harlequin romances today.
    Stephen King is wildly popular but rarely wins "serious" literature awards for the same reason.
    Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Dickens was the soap opera writer of his day - published chapter by chapter and was paid by the word. Great idea, Lucy. Reality TV sounds like a great creative topic, mad.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast