+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Job Interviews

I'm sure many of you have gone through many of these through your lifetime. Job INterviews, Love them, hate them, dread them. I must say personally I've had more work experience then most of my friends, started working when I was 14, and worked every summer. It's quite hard getting a job here, but I did get some odd jobs here and there. In total I had 3 job interviews, each with their own little stories. Think I'll share, but don't want to bore you. My very first real part-time job, was working in this restaurant. In Singapore (where I reside) there are four outlets for this restaurant, and stupid me, when the manager called me up and set me up for an interview I just went to the one and only outlet I knew (just assuming they only had one in the country :rolleyes big mistake. So at about 1 minute to three oclock, I nicely stroll into the restaurant asking for the manager. the manager in charge of that outlet, tells me I'm in the wrong location, So I panick. Luckily of course, that manager called the other manager saying that I'll be late. So I rush out, get a cab, go to the location. Now of course, the place I'm going to just happens to be the country's biggest shopping mall. And I rarely use to go there, so of course I got lost. finally about 3:45pm I arrive there, looking exhausted. THe manager didn't seem angry (good thing). So during the interview he needed all these papers which I didn't have :rolleyes . I was extremely unprepared, but luckily I was hired at the end of it all, and even got "most hardworking" out of the 7 that was hired.

So this summer, I applied again to this organization which will find me a job. It's quite hard to get a job like I said before. So I got myself an interview with this restaurant which is located, right in the heart of Singapore's pubbing/clubbing scene. Just walking towards that area, you can smell the smoke. I did not want to work there, So I arrive, the manager in charge first of all comes late and she just takes a look at me, asks me how old I am, and says "ok, we'll call you if we want you". I spent 1 and a half hours transporation, waited for her, just to be asked "how old I was" :rolleyes enough to say that I told the lady the next day I wasn't interested

So I just called another job offer, going in for an interview tomorow. Should be interesting, but actually I'm interested in this job. So *crosses fingers* hope things work out.

I'm sure you all got some good/great/horrible Job interviews stories to share. And some do's and don'ts for me to learn . So far what I got

DON'T
    1. Be late

DO
    1. Suck up, it really works (well on my case)
    2. Hand-shake
    3. Come over-prepared with any paper, passport and so on
    4. Dress well but casual (you don't want to make the Manager look like a slob, by out-dressing him/her)
    5. Ask loads of questions, they seem to like that

Any others please share, for my sake and others!

Have answers pre-prepared for the "standard" questions such as "what is your best quality", "what is your worst quality", "tell me a specific problem you encountered in your last job, and how you handled it", and so on. That seems to trip the most people up, and they almost always get asked.

Ask questions of your interviewee about the company. Ask HIM things like "what's the best thing about working for this company" and "what is the biggest problem currently at the company, and what are you doing to try to solve it?"

You want to make the manager feel like you're genuinely interested in the company and want to know about it BEFORE making an informed decision on whether to work there. If you're just looking for a summer job, you may not care. But if you're looking for permanent employment, asking questions like "what is the company's growth plan for the next 5 years?" and so on will be helpful for both of you.

DO:
    - Make eye-contact
    - Be friendly
    - Be committed, if you're not, then you shouldn't be working there
    - Explain previosu work-experience
    - Make sure you set a baseline (ie// How many hours your willing to work, what your capable of..etc)
    - Ask if any training will be given
    - Ask what benefits will be given (staff stuff)
    - *smile*

DON'T:
    - Ask too many questions IMO,
    - Come late
    - Take calls, or sms's during the interview (just switch your phone off)
    - Over-do it as in, don't try so hard, be yourself!

Good luck on your interview

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Have answers pre-prepared for the "standard" questions such as "what is your best quality", "what is your worst quality", "tell me a specific problem you encountered in your last job, and how you handled it", and so on.
    "What is your worst quality?" I hate that question. HATE IT. If anyone here is in a position where they do hiring for their company, please explain why this question gets asked. Nobody is ever going to really be honest. 99% of the applicants will give the stupid "I'm a perfectionist, and I drive myself too hard when I'm working on a project" answer, which is supposed to be all sly, and actually sound like a strength. Whatever. I have to assume that interviewers can see through that whole thing, but still - are you going to go in and say "My worst quality is that I don't enjoy working in groups, and I have a propensity to be late 3 or 4 days a week."? No. In fact, I actually tried answering it honestly once, just to see what would happen. I literally said that I don't like working on group projects, because I feel I'm more productive when I can just do the whole thing on my own. Never got a call back for that place. So...yeah. Someone who hires people, please tell us what you guys want to hear for this one.

FORT Fogey
    If they ask you one of those canned questions like..."If this company was a hamburger, what part would you be?"

Say something clever like;

"I would want to be the meat of the burger, right at the heart and center of what makes the burger a burger"

or

"I dont necc see myself as the meat of the burger, I am more of a support player. Not just a simple condiment though - there just to add a little spice. No, I think I am more like the bun - I like to be the sort of support player who can hold the whole thing together..."

I would run screaming from the interview room if I was asked a question like that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Remind me not to apply to any place asking me to project myself as a food item.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Remind me not to apply to any place asking me to project myself as a food item.
    Food will make me hungry and forget about the interview.

Good luck B.C.! Going well prepared is probably the best thing you can do befrore an interview.

Like John said, definitely do your research, and know something about the company before you apply there.
    In my state, we have a city called Newport News. They have a newspaper, called the Daily Press. They got an application from some idiot who said they wanted to work for the Newport News. A two-second google search would have saved that person's application from the trash bin.
    Also, don't talk trash about former employers. Even if they were evil, lazy, sadistic slavedrivers, there's no way you're going to look good telling a prospective employer that.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    "What is your worst quality?" I hate that question. HATE IT. If anyone here is in a position where they do hiring for their company, please explain why this question gets asked. Nobody is ever going to really be honest. 99% of the applicants will give the stupid "I'm a perfectionist, and I drive myself too hard when I'm working on a project" answer, which is supposed to be all sly, and actually sound like a strength. Whatever. I have to assume that interviewers can see through that whole thing, but still - are you going to go in and say "My worst quality is that I don't enjoy working in groups, and I have a propensity to be late 3 or 4 days a week."? No. In fact, I actually tried answering it honestly once, just to see what would happen. I literally said that I don't like working on group projects, because I feel I'm more productive when I can just do the whole thing on my own. Never got a call back for that place. So...yeah. Someone who hires people, please tell us what you guys want to hear for this one.
    Amanda,

You definitely do not want to give the canned *perfectionist* example... interviewers are ALL over that at this point. You also, if you really want the job, want to stay away from an example that directly contradicts said job's description.

What you do want to do is give an honest answer and then *defend* yourself by saying that you're working at this quality by doing a, b, and c and that you have confidence that if you keep working in the right direction it will soon become, if not a strength, then less of a liability (or something to that extent.)

Interviewers love to see A) that you recognize your weaknesses, B) that you dont wallow in your weakness and just accept it, C) that you have a well constructed plan to deal with or combat your weakness, and D) you have the confidence that you will succeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast