+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Re: Job Interviews

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2413052;
    Revisiting this thread as I have two interviews next Tuesday

The advice here really helped me remain calm last time and help me feel more prepared, so I hope that it works again.
    We're thinking about you and since it really has nothing to do with luck, I'll say best wishes for the outcome you want.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2416443;
    Good luck with the interviews JLuvs!

I have been a stay-at-home mom for the last 7 1/2 years. I babysat for the first 5 of them. I just finished school this spring to be a Vet Tech. The hubby and I talked and I am going to start job hunting after the summer. I want to spend one more summer pool side and at home with my boys. Preston is almost 5 and will be starting school soon, so I want to spend a little more time at home with him. So...when the summer is over, I get to rejoin the working stiffs! I'm a little torn. I enjoy staying home, taking care of the family, and having an intimate, all day long, relationship with my beloved computer and the Fort, but I'm ready to go back to work. I enjoy talking to people and I feel as if I'm cut off from that being home all day. But, I'm a little nervous, too. The interview process doesn't worry me too much. I will be sure to check out this thread when the time comes, though.
    Kat, I was a stay-at-home mom for four years before rejoining the workforce last year. I've had a ball getting back into the swing of things. It doesn't hurt that my daughter's preschool is literally around the corner from my office. Also, my boss is wonderful and fantastic with allowing us to balance work and family. My daughter can even come into work with me sometimes.

Anyway, my advice is to find a workplace that truly does understand that you're still a mother, as well as an employee. Those places do exist and you can find a supportive work environment and still take care of your other responsibilities.

My new job, by the way, is with a career center at a university. They teach students how to interview, fill out resumes, and interact professionally with potential employers. when it comes time for you to write a resume or interview, let me know if you need some help and I'll send you some great links for resources.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thank you very much for the well wishes. One of the two jobs that I am interviewing for would be ideal for me, but I am trying to be sensible and keep everything in perspective as you never know how things are going to work out.

Thanks to it being almost the end of the school year this week I have not had as much subbing work so I have been really able to devote myself to prepping for the interviews, though I do have a tendency to go into overload mode at times. I am well prepared and ready to show them that I am a teacher they need to hire
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

My husband and I are both now in the unfortunate position of having to interview-- actually, the interviews aren't the bad part, it is actually GETTING interviews which seems to be a nightmare now! Tough job market around here now, unfortunately.

We have a few things right now that we hope will come through, with him having another promising interview on Thursday. With the interviews I've gotten, I hit the points listed here, but it often seems to be the same thing each time-- while saying they loved me and my answers, say that they were interviewing far more people than they would in the past for the same type of positions, and people who were way more qualified than what they usually get. They definitely seem to LIKE me and will often want to just chat with me after the interview even (with one woman I thought I was going to be stuck there for hours before something finally called her away), but then, nothing. I've asked family and friends trying to get feedback on what is happening, and one constructive comment I've gotten is that I come across as very eager to please, but perhaps not confident enough, not selling myself enough.

We don't want to relocate unless we have to, but it may come to it, so are actively putting in for stuff out of state. We do have a trip planned to western NC early next week for an interview for my husband that has a lot of potential. Best thing about this one is, it is in a region and not too far from a town (Franklin) that I absolutely love; beautiful area with a lot of stuff to do that I like.

Anyhow, my favorite search site for finding leads online is Indeed - searches a lot of job sites, newspapers, as well as individual company sites. Saves the searches and the comments are helpful.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I have a question:

How do you tell someone that they interview badly? I know someone who is actively looking and he positively stinks at the interview process. He tends not to listen fully and jumps in before the question is fully asked. Once hired, I have no doubt that this person would be an asset to any organization, but how do I help him over the first hump? If I were hiring, I could help that way, but I'm only a cheerleader at this point.

It depends on how sensitive or aware he is of this issue. You could offer to do a practice interview with him, and then review his good points and bad points with him.

I agree with Canuck, however if you know this person well, why not just come out and tell this person?

Off I go for another job interview...if only there was such a thing as frequent drive miles I would have racked up bazillions by now.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

He doesn't like to listen to what I say. He's a son and doesn't think I know what I'm talking about. I was working corporate when my kids were small and decided I wasn't seeing them enough and he sees this as me choosing to make our family poor. Anyway, I've been pretty tactful in what I tell him, but he's not listening to what I'm saying.

JLuvs, knock 'em dead!!

I haven't really had a job interview, I've had one, in which they told me they would either send a letter or give me a call a week later but I got it a month later and they went with their other applicants.

My thing is ever since I put in my resume at yahoo hot jobs, I've been getting offers kinda one by one. I got one from an insurance company and then one from like a talent scouting agency and I just don't know which one to go with. For one, I believe I'd have more fun with the scouting agency but on the other hand the insurance company would probably give me insurance which is what I need. I just don't know what to do. I'm having a hard time getting interviews from when I fill out applications. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, and I haven't really had a job, the only job I've had is babysitting

+ Reply to Thread