+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Quote Originally Posted by AR Boy
    5. ALWAYS HAVE A CV TYPED UP FOR THE FUTURE EMPLOYER (WITH REFERENCE TO PREVIOUS EMPLOYERS).
    What's a CV? A resume?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_cool
    I just had my 4th summer job interview about 2 hours ago. Bassically I would have to be a waitress at a pretty high-class restaurant, in a pretty high-class hotel. The job is quite complex like, not really, but it's a lot of pressure, my first waitressing job, and he's like you'll have to serve food, reccomend dishes and so on. that bit is koay, but to be put on the spot serving dishes that people pay up to $100+ for one dish, is quite pressurous. I can't bear the fact of me accidently dropping a plate of $100 steak. Serving bottle of wines, which can go up to a few hundreds of dollars. I'm not up for it, such a high-class restaurant. and what's worse, the pay is only S$6.00 and in US dollars that's approximately $4.50, not that much, considering it's such a "High-Class" restaurant

Well during todays interview, I encountered more DO's and DON'T's

1 - Switch you phone off, mine went off, I thought I put it on silent, but it wasn't I quickly took it out, switched it off. THe guys wasn't impressed

2- DON'T answer most of the questions with "I don't know, anything really" (i realized after I left that most of my answers were like that)

3 - DOn't play with the pen! :rolleyes I got a bad bad habit of fiddling around. I was filling in the application form, the manager comes by takes my paper and starts reading it, I start playing with the pencil, and he got annoyed to the point where he had to tell me to stop

So now after 4 job interviews, I'm still not interested in any

Sounds like this was not the job for you. Feel lucky, you could have gotten it and the stress would have been unbearable.

toothdoc

Quote Originally Posted by ToothDoc
    Sounds like this was not the job for you. Feel lucky, you could have gotten it and the stress would have been unbearable.

toothdoc
    why I just called up the manager and told him I found something better, ME giving him the brush off!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    What's a CV? A resume?
    Curriculum Vitae is basically the story of your life. Well, you know, anything "official" regarding jobs, education, and skills. It is the longer and more detailed version of resume, it can and often will end up being several pages whereas resume should be one or two pages. Generally CV is used in academics and in Europe (I have never submitted a resume at home for any application, it always has been a CV), and resume in United States. But in United States, I have noticed just by glancing at a few jobs on monster.com, that European based companies tend to ask for CV even here in United States.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Do not chew gum during the interview.
    Dress appropriate for the job you are being interviewed for.
    Always arrive on time for the interview.
    When asked questions, answer them promptly and don't appear nervous.
    Answer all questions honestly and to the best of your ability.

Well, that 'whether to tell about kids or not' question solved itself... They called me for an interview appointment when I was not at home and our babysitter answered the phone It's a small relief really, if they see it as a problem, then I obviously would not be a good fit to work with them. I had the interview today, I really liked the people, and I thought it went fine. Except that I think they were having a casual Friday and I was not (although I felt like kicking myself to butt, I should have chosen to wear what I first considered, but then I decided to go conservative) Anyway, whatever will be will be, at least it was a pleasant experience. And what comes to resume, I changed the format from chronological to what I have actually done that I thought was relevant to the job, and left all dates out, obviously it worked better.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 07-30-2004 at 03:36 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Okay, I'm resurrecting this thread because hell hath frozen over and I finally have an interview tomorrow after graduating college in May!

Here's a question for you: I had an extremely difficult two interviews for an internship last spring in which they asked me several questions that I could not for the life of me come up with answers for. For example, a couple of times, I was asked to tell them about a specific incident that happened in a previous job, blah blah, but the problem was I honestly had not had that happen before! That particular situation came up a couple times, and I ended up making something up on the spot and just sounded terrible.

How do you answer something that either does not apply to you at all or that you are just freezing on and cannot come up with any sort of answer?? I either was stumbling around trying to make something up to answer them or kept repeating the same example for different questions. I didn't think they wanted to hear me say, "Well, I never had that happen."

Any insight?

DJ,

I'd be honest and say that you haven't had the situation come up before. Then I would have an answer thought out about how you would handle it when or if it came up.

Sit down and try to think of all the questions you had trouble with before and come up with answers you are comfortable. Then try to think up other possible questions and come up with answers for those. Try not to make them seem too canned though.

Be sure you have an answer to the standards, "where do you see your self in 5 years," "what's your greatest strength," "what's your greatest weakness," and "what's your favorite color?" (Okay, not the last one unless you are interviewing with John Cleese.)

Blue! No, yellow!
    Mariner's right. Be honest. Be prepared.
    Interviewers respect truthful answers, even if that answer is "I don't know." It's much worse to start tap-dancing and to "guess" at some answer you think will impress them.
    That said, it's also helpful to anticipate typical interview questions so that you're not caught off guard. You're not trying to memorize pat answers, the exercise merely helps you become an expert on yourself.
    For what it's worth, job recruiters No. 1 complaint about job candidates is that they didn't do their homework on the company or the job.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    For what it's worth, job recruiters No. 1 complaint about job candidates is that they didn't do their homework on the company or the job.
    Yep. You are going to get the interviewers attention if you walk in and manage to work in some research you have done on the company in the first 15 minutes. Sometimes there is a natural opening. Other times, you can use your research in formulating questions for the interviewers. Always make sure to have at least a couple questions for them prepared.

+ Reply to Thread