+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

FORT Fogey

Re: Job Interviews

We just did an unsuccessful job search at work--the person we wanted took a different job in order to stay closer to family, so there really wasn't anything we could have done to get her.

Though obviously every firm/company and job is different, I did notice some things that might be generally helpful if you're on the job market. First, the way you dress and present yourself does matter. If you look put together, you simply look more professional. Second, people really notice if you show enthusiasm for the job, for the company, for the location etc. Ask questions. If you don't ask questions, people may interpret that as a lack of interest, whether that was your intent or not. If you have to give some sort of presentation, practice it, and for heaven's sake, show some energy. There's nothing worse than watching a prospective employee show all the presence of a damp rag. Third, if there's some sort of more casual component to the interview--say, a dinner with some prospective colleagues--show some personality. Even if you tend to be quiet by nature, especially with strangers, don't just sit there like a bump. People really notice if they have to make an effort to keep a conversation going with you. You don't want to monopolize the conversation either, but you want to participate in it without being pulled along like the proverbial dead weight.

You need to look like someone who not only wants a job but wants to work at that company in that city/town with that group of people.
    KatesMom likes this.

Well, they said I did very well, but they didn't hire me. I am disappointed, kind of like the opposite of a "Sally Field moment"! I don't regret trying and I am glad that I get to be with my students. It would have been hard to leave them in the middle of a school year.

Thanks again for all the great advice you all have shared in this thread!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Well, they said I did very well, but they didn't hire me. I am disappointed, kind of like the opposite of a "Sally Field moment"! I don't regret trying and I am glad that I get to be with my students. It would have been hard to leave them in the middle of a school year.

Aww, sorry about that, Cootie. I am glad, though, that you get to remain with your students for the remainder of the school term. Will you be able to retain this current job for next term or will you have to look for another one?

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post

You tell us where to find them. We'll get 'em!
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Aww, sorry about that, Cootie. I am glad, though, that you get to remain with your students for the remainder of the school term. Will you be able to retain this current job for next term or will you have to look for another one?
    As far as I know I still have a job even next year, it is just shrinking - from 204 days last year to 180 days this year and they wanted to cut us more and expect us to do the same amount of work. Our school board is clueless and they don't care about those who work with kids. Not the way I expected I would be treated after devoting the last 22 years to creating a welcome place for kids and for helping the teachers day in and out... this is a tough world. I am an optimist, but feeling a little evil right now.

The worst feeling I ever had over a job rejection I ever had was one I applied for through our local Job Service. It was a PERFECT description of my job experience, qualifications, duties & time on the job. Exactly to a T! The only thing missing was my name. It was if they knew me & put the request in for just me. I put in my application & info & darned near sat next to the phone waiting in anticipation.
    I never even got called for an interview. I was crushed. I figured if this one didn't even want to meet me, then no one would.
    I was wrong. It just took time & persistance to find something meant for me.

I will be graduating from college in May and I've started job searching in earnest now. Wish me luck!!

PS... Any and all advice accepted and needed!
    inthegarden likes this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Congraulations, Lil Bit, and best of luck! I know you'll do well and hope you will keep us updated.

As an employer, these are the things that impress me:

-Confidence, poise, a gracious demeanor, and a firm handshake

-Ability to listen well and answer a question concisely but thoroughly after taking a pause to think about it.

-Evidence that the candidate has done some research into the company's work and jotted down some questions in advance of interviewing

-A resume with no fluff and no spelling or grammar mistakes.

-An outfit that looks like he/she cares about its appearance (dress for the job you want)

Also, there are a couple of don'ts:

-Don't slouch, fidget, or touch your face/hair (you wouldn't believe how many people do this in interviews)

-Don't preface an answer with something deprecatory about yourself. Example: I ask why you are interested in the position, and you start by saying "I know I am not the most experienced candidate for this job, but..."

-Don't forget to take notes, and don't forget to drop the interviewer a thank-you email
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 03-09-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    phat32 and inthegarden like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Congraulations, Lil Bit, and best of luck! I know you'll do well and hope you will keep us updated.

As an employer, these are the things that impress me (snip)
    Outstanding, amazing, excellent advice. That list should be printed out and slipped into the diploma of everyone graduating college and walking the line.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I will be graduating from college in May and I've started job searching in earnest now. Wish me luck!!

PS... Any and all advice accepted and needed!
    First off, congratulations on graduating from College.

Second, the bolded part is the best advice I could give you & you're already doing it. Too many College grads wait 'till graduation & expect the great jobs to be lined up waiting for them. It's as if they expect to be handed a list of live prospects with their diploma. Neither happens. You're ahead of the game doing what you are.

Third, along with PoppyFields' great advice I'd add one simple but often overlooked thing: Look them dead in the eye & smile during the interview! Not like an insane Cheshire Cat, but warm, friendly & happy. They'll remember you.
    inthegarden likes this.

+ Reply to Thread