+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

FORT Fogey

Re: Job Interviews

Big agree on both the questions and the attire. I've served on hiring committees and people who ask informed questions give the impression they've bothered to look into the situation thoroughly--and were interested enough to do so. Even if you're pretty sure you know the answer to the question you ask, the interviewer won't know that.

As for the attire, I'm a fairly casual dresser myself, but I'm baffled at why people show up for job interviews in outfits that make me turn to see if Clinton and Stacey from What Not to Wear are following them in the door. If you really don't know what you look good in, find someone to take you shopping. And for God's sake, buy a color. If I have to see one more sad, ill-fitted black suit with a white blouse and clunky shoes on an applicant....Unless you're applying for a job as a nun, that's a bad choice. In fact, I went to a Catholic college, and ninety percent of the nuns dressed better than that. People are going to have to look at you all day long. Try to look both professional and pleasant. I don't think women have to wear skirts and heels, but they could wear dressy flats and a nice jacket or sweater with pants. And guys could wear suits or jackets that fit (and if they're heavy sweaters, they should invest in some anti-persperant, as no one wants to look at pit stains).
    Lizard likes this.

Agree 100% with what others have said about questions. I really don't like people who don't ask questions. I take it as "if you can't care enough about the job to even ask me some questions, why would I think you are going to care when I hire you?" If possible, try to ask one or two questions specifically about the job your are looking for, as opposed to general type questions. I like to know someone took the time to research as much as they could before coming to see me. Others may feel differently, but for me, talking about salary or benefits right off the bat is also a really bad idea. I don't want you just looking at this as a paycheck (even though we all know it is), I want to know that you are interested in my company and looking for a place where you can become part of the team and help me grow - not just a place where you will punch a clock for 8 hours and bide your time. Even though all of this might be true, I don't want to know that up front!

On the application/resume, yes, I can read. That doesn't always mean I am going to. Sometimes I am too busy. Unfortunately sometimes, my HR department doesn't get me the resume until 10 minutes before the interview, so I don't have the time to read it. Yes, it is rude (and I always apologize in the interview if that is the case), but it is also reality. On the other side, sometimes I see things on resumes that interest me and I want to know more about. For example, if you were in a certain club or organization, I might want to know more about exactly what you did and what experiences you had, so that I can see if any of that will translate and be beneficial to me if I hire you. Make sense?

I kind of disagree about the salary and benefits. It should not be your first question or response, but towards the end I do not have a problem finding out what is available, especially benefits. I had a form I would give out at the end that explained the benefits that were available. I always explained salary. At the end of the interview I would explain what the next steps would be in the hiring process and would always give them a timeline as to when the person would hear something. I would tell the person if you do not hear from me by that date, please call me. I think that after an interview the company knows if you will be hired or not, if not, get it to the person in writing immediately, do not let the person have to wait. After the interview everyone would receive a letter stating where they were in the process or if it was finished. I think we owe it to the applicant.
    Ellen likes this.
    There's no place like home!

I am directly involved in the hiring in my company. The HR director and I are the two that do the interviews.

We have a list of things about the position we go over, which usually leaves not many questions unanswered. The people that make the best impression with me are the ones that don't just sit there with a plastic smile. They do ask us to clarify as we go over if something doesn't stick or make sense. Today we had in interview with a lady who brought a notebook and took notes. That was really impressive to me.

As for dress, we are a very casual company. I don't like it when people come sloppy, just dress like you tried. There is one lady that showed up in a suit, which was really impressive. She was hired, but not for the suit. It just made her stand out.

I just say, come acting like you are really interested in the interview. If at some point during the interview you realize the job isn't for you, let us know. There is nothing worse than offering someone a position and they take their sweet time getting back to you to say no or, worse yet, start then quit the first day. I also do the training, that is just a waste of my time and it is really annoying.

Also, don't act as though you are only there to fulfill your required contacts for unemployment. It is amazing how many people apply for the jobs with our company only to blow off the interview or act totally bored. Do not blow off the interview if it has been set up. I understand that sometimes thing happen that make it impossible, but if you don't plan on going through with it don't set it up. If you do have to reschedule, let the employer know as early as possible. It is amazing how many people call us 1/2 hour or more after the interview time and give us a flimsy excuse and try to reschedule. For the most part we can tell if you don't really want to come in. Please don't waste our time.

After your interview, if you are interested, one thing that really makes a statement is an email thanking the interviewer for their time. Our HR guy loves it when people do this. It makes one seem genuinely interested in the job.
    captain and KatesMom like this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful interview advice. I will be looking for a full time job after I graduate in May. I'm working with a lady from Workforce Development right now, getting my resume updated, info on cover letters and working on my interviewing skills, but I need all the help I can get!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I just had a job interview the day before yesterday and I took the advice of people here and wore a red shirt instead of the typical all black outfit. I looked up questions that might be asked at interviews and prepared some questions of my own for the interviewer. The interview went extremely well and I was told they were interviewing three other people besides me for the position and would call me the following day, whether I got the job or not, to let me know.

I got the news that although I had a bang-up interview, they offered the position to someone else. I had tried not to get my hopes up too high but I'm still absolutely crushed by yet another rejection, especially after the interview went so well.

I'm going to stop job searching for a while. It's just getting to be too stressful going on interviews and being rejected over and over. When I do start looking again, I'm going to plead with my friends in other agencies to help me find a position in their office. It seems more and more it's not what you know but who you know that gets you the job.

pikachu, I'm sorry that you didn't get the position you wanted. I know it's hard. It sounds like you did an excellent job of preparing and presenting yourself, and I just wanted to encourage you to add networking like you mentioned. Even if you're not ready to take on another interview right now, go ahead and start putting those feelers out there to your friends/past coworkers/mentors, getting the word out that you're interested in a new challenge. My experience is that it absolutely matters who you know, so cultivate those contacts if you're fortunate enough to have them, and use them to your advantage.
    KatesMom likes this.

Big agree, and I am very sorry pikachu. Just another thought - if there is an agency or a cause that you are passionate about, maybe think about spending time volunteering or otherwise getting involved. You would be surprised who gets involved with charities, and who knows who, so that might be a way to spend your time doing something you enjoy or care about, and it might pay some rewards down the road as well. Just a thought.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I am involved with the Council of the Blind. My dad is blind and I originally joined when he and my mom were members. I do some work for their members, sometimes getting paid to drive them around to do errands or read for them. Right now I'm helping them compile of book of their organization. I touched up some pictures and will be designing the cover. They're the friends I was talking about asking to let me know if any openings come up in the organizations they work for. Many of them are state workers, too.

Did company give you any feedback on your interview or why you were not selected? I know this is hard information to get because of confidentiality clauses, but they might be able to give you some information.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread