+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Re: Job Interviews

I appreciate all the advice here. I'm going to be living at my mom's in Ohio this summer to test the waters for a move there. If I can find a job and/or my house sells (hopefully both) it will be a permanent move in the very near future. FORT retirement home one step closer!
    Count your blessings!

Gut, that's music to my ears. As much fin as we had talking about the different things we'd all bring to the retirement home, laughing about it and thinkiing about it sure brought some joy to me last year. I am considering changing employment and am wondering about my age (52) and what a factor it will be. I'm taking it slow, weighing all the options.

famita, I am about to be 50 and have suddenly had this choice made FOR me... I'm going to school now to change to another career when I go back to work, and you would be surprised at the amount of people my age and older there are in class. I was also surprised, when talking to several vet's offices before making this change, how many told me they had rather hire a person over 50, who still will be wanting to work for quite a while. Seems they find that often this age group understands what is required a bit more!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

I am happily retired and fortunately don't have to even think about going back to work.

But...for those of you doing so, there is age discrimination out there, and it is a big item. You can't prove it, but when you are "older" it is very hard to get in the door. A friend of mine who is multi-talented and looking for work is going through this right now. She is extremely frustrated, and I would be too if I were in her shoes.

Good luck to any and all of you who are changing careers and starting over!!!

You can't prove it, but when you are "older" it is very hard to get in the door.
    I'm also out of the job market (thank goodness), and I agree with you. Many employers think older people are too set in their ways, etc. Statistics show that older workers are more flexible and also much more dependable. They usually don't bring the "drama" - relationships breaking up, babysitter issues, etc.

A lot of people don't realize that the Age Discrimination laws cover people forty (40) and above.

(I've had some great younger supervisors, so I don't mean to stereotype the under-40 group, either.)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I never ask questions at interviews because pretty much all the jobs in my area (or at least the ones I apply for) are state jobs and one state agency is pretty much like another. The job duties are all about the same, the only difference is the division you're working for. I see no need to ask questions about what it's like to work for the State of Florida when I already work for them!

I get so frustrated at interviews, especially since I've had so many over the past couple of years I've been trying to get a more advanced job position. I feel like all the things they're asking me are already on my job application and I've already answered the same questions repeatedly at other interviews. I wish I knew something new and interesting to tell job interviewers to set me apart from all the other people they interview.

Actually, I just wish I could FINALLY get a new job so I didn't have to go on job interviews anymore! I've been at the same job for 10 years now so I'm way overdue for a promotion.

Pickachu,
    You are always suppose to come with questions that show you are interested for the job. (that are not nosey). Do you have special training sessions for technology updates? Would I get to interact with clients, students?
    I like to help people. Ms. Picachu, what are you negatives? I am a math thinker. It would be nice if I was morecreative. (or vice versa). There were so many applicants for my job, I studied interviewing for months. I am not a natural interviewer...and you cannot expect a paper to speak for you.

There is a lot if competition for government jobs. You need to be connected to God. Ask the super athletes. My close girlfriends all agree that that is key.

On fb today, there is this nice quote...
    I am strong, because I have been weak.
    I am fearless, because I have been afraid.
    I am wise, because I have been foolish.

Look at the interview as an opportunity. I have been on interview panels. The paperwork all looks alike. We look for something to tell us this is the best one. A lot of times best interviewers happento be manic. We all fail. We all have faced rejection. Do not take is anything negative. That was not the job for you. Yours is there. You will find it.
    You can do it!

Yeah yeah.... I do not have kids and always boss picachu. Good thing she is a cartoon character.
    You can do it!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Thanks for the input, Lizard. I will definitely read this thread more in-depth (I mostly scrolled through the first few pages of this thread earlier) and look up tips for interviewing/asking questions before I go on a job interview again. I've applied for several jobs in the past few weeks and I'm always looking so with any luck, maybe I'll get another shot at an interview soon.

BTW, I don't mind if you boss me. I post on the forum when I'm looking for help or want to start a conversation so any input is appreciated. If I get tired of it, I'll just zap you with electricity!

I worked for a county entity before retiring. One of the questions we always asked was "do you have any questions for us" Usually we would get no, but for those that did ask, made me take notice of them. I liked seeing a prepared applicant. Another suggestion is please dress appropriately. A well dressed person got much better marks. Think about the question before responding. Not all government jobs are alike. Take each interview on its own merit. There must be something you see in the job description you like. Good luck
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread