+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Excellent, Broadway. Thank you; that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Just remember, going with my earlier theme, that an interview is a 2-way street. They want to find out whether you're a good fit for their company, but YOU should also be finding out whether the company is a good fit for you. Having done your homework before going in about the company, and prepared some questions to ask them specifically about the company, will make you look SO much more attractive to them than someone who doesn't. It comes across like you actually care what company you work for, rather than just trying to take what comes along.

Remember, if you get a job with a company, chances are you're going to be there every day for several years, and that demands some attention to fact-finding before you accept a position.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Just remember, going with my earlier theme, that an interview is a 2-way street. They want to find out whether you're a good fit for their company, but YOU should also be finding out whether the company is a good fit for you. Having done your homework before going in about the company, and prepared some questions to ask them specifically about the company, will make you look SO much more attractive to them than someone who doesn't. It comes across like you actually care what company you work for, rather than just trying to take what comes along.

Remember, if you get a job with a company, chances are you're going to be there every day for several years, and that demands some attention to fact-finding before you accept a position.
    That is a very excellent set of points.

Further to John's points - if it is at all possible - its a great idea to look into "internships" at companies within your field of expertise or to work for a temp agency for a while - again taking temporary positions at companies that are in your target area.

It gives you a chance to "try on" a few companies/positions/drive times/atmopheres/work environements etc. without making any sort of comittment or having your resume look like you are a job hopper, when all you are really trying to do is find the best place for you.

Then, when you do find a place that looks like a good fit for all concerned, you approach them about a permanent position.

This is a great thread. Job interviews have always been a weakness for me and I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

Here's my teeny tiny bit-o-advice since everything else has been covered.

Remember as far as appearance goes, have everything covered as small as clipped noseheairs and a little edge dressing on the shoes.

I interviewed for a position within my job and I was tied with another member. It came down to the extra shine I had on my shoes. Your suit could be bling-bling, but if your shoes look like they came from a truck and tractor pull, you're done. Remember the total package. Details Details Details.

And to echo Lucy, don't talk smack about your former boss. You never know how small of a world it can be.
    Last edited by speedbump; 06-07-2004 at 05:08 PM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

A lot of excellent advice has been given in this thread so far. The only thing I can add is to say that if you are sending out resumes trying to get an interview, proofread your resume carefully. You should probably also have someone else proofread the resume and cover letter (it's harder to pick up mistakes in something you yourself have written). Typos are an easy way for employers to weed out candidates. Also, remember that spell check alone won't pick up everything. I was just talking to someone who still laughs about the resume she got stating how many years the prospective employee had worked for "the rapist" (the applicant had worked for a therapist).

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    A lot of excellent advice has been given in this thread so far. The only thing I can add is to say that if you are sending out resumes trying to get an interview, proofread your resume carefully. Typos are an easy way for employers to weed out candidates. Also, remember that spell check alone won't pick up everything.
    Its also a classy, high-line thing to label your resume as a CV (Curriculum Vitae - sp?) as opposed to a 'resume'. Looks nice and cerebral.

JR.
    I have a few to add:

A firm hand shake (yes even you ladies), there is nothing worse than the "dead fish" shake.

If you smoke, try and hold off until after the interview.

Don't fidget, sit straight, and look the person in the eye.

Go easy on the cologne/perfume.

Bring extra copies of your resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Its also a classy, high-line thing to label your resume as a CV (Curriculum Vitae - sp?) as opposed to a 'resume'. Looks nice and cerebral.
    Actually, no. The two things are not synonymous, and I think that unless what you're actually submitting *is* a CV, you'd look quite foolish to label it as such.

http://businessmajors.about.com/cs/r...culumVitae.htm

basically a CV has you put down in Exacting detail every little thing that you do in your job position. Instead of a short story, its a novel.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread