+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Re: Job Interviews

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3050114;
    pakacat,
    I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't working out like planned. I know we've been in similar situations, but that old saying about when a door is closed, a window opens has been true for us and I hope that it will be for you guys as well.

I would look into some safety measures in your apartment. Perhaps now that school is out for the summer (well, summer term is going on, but not as large as the regular terms) maybe there are some other places to live available now.
    When I was going to U of F, summer was always easiest to find new apartment.
    Thank you!!

What had happened is, knowing that there was a possibility that this wouldn't work out, and because the housing market is just so bad in FL, we decided to keep our house for now and just get a cheap apartment... well, ya get what ya pay for. There were other things advertised in our price range that were nicer and looked safer, problem was, we called about everywhere and told the same thing every time-- nothing available til the fall, and we had to move very quickly. We tried to sublet one of the other places from students, but nobody got back to us in time, and as this was the only thing actually available, we took it. However, if I stay and something better becomes available, was told we may be able to use the fact that the apartment is infested with German roaches to be released from the lease. If I stay I think I might put on an extra lock or two, even if it does mean the loss of the deposit.

I am stressing OUT! I was laid off in January and have yet to find a job. I've been a little picky since I'm getting unemployment but it's about to run out. I've had 2 interviews plus a phone interview for an AWESOME job. I interviewed on Tuesday and was called Wednesday evening for a 2nd interview on Thursday. I thought it went okay, they asked TONS of questions about different scenarios and about me and my personality. I think they like people with good personalities. Well I've got that and I've got 13 years experience for the job. They said I would hear something "shortly" I hope that's good. I was hoping maybe I would hear something on Friday so I wouldn't have to go all weekend wondering if I got the job. Well I didn't hear anything so maybe that's good. I would think if I didn't get it they would have called to tell me, they said I would hear either way. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Shoot! I found the job I talked about above on Monster.com and posted on there today is the same job only through a temp agency I'm registered with the particular temp agency so I called and indeed it is the company I interviewed with. I know the lady at the agency and she said it may not be a bad thing and I should follow up with the company. Either way I don't feel real good about it. I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong in these interviews.

I'm applying for a job through the company's website and I need a cover letter. But the description does not say who I should address it to. Do I call the company and ask them who's in charge of the hiring for that position?

Things for us took a very strange turn-- my husband lost his job up here in Auburn some time back as I mentioned, and is back working in FL, and I just officially landed one up here with the University!! It is funny... it was the very last job I put in for here, and I came very close to not doing so as I was starting to get discouraged with the lack of interviews. Luckily too, we subleased the bad apartment, and I'm in one now that, while a student place, is much better. Hopefully now my husband will be able to find something else up here and re-relocate.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed numerous times already, but has anyone ever used one of the online resume writing sites? If so, any recommendations?

I’m no longer in the job market, but I’d like to share some tips for job-hunters. I know how frustrating it can be, especially in this economy.

Job boards such as monster.com, etc. have thousands of people applying for every job. It’s almost like shooting darts. Many people make the mistake of applying for jobs they see online then waiting for the phone to ring. It’s a numbers game, and the odds are against you.

A better way is direct contact. Make a list of 20 places you would like to work. You’ll have better luck with small – mid size companies and organizations. Call and find out if they have a website. Get the NAME of someone with hiring authority – submitting a resume to “HR” or “Hiring Manager” gets your resume put into a pile and soon forgotten. Learn all you can about the company. Think about how your skills/experience can help them accomplish their mission. Compose a cover letter and attach your resume to a specific person. Ask for 15 minutes of their time for an ‘information interview’. Be prepared with several good questions about the company.

Sign up to do volunteer work at non-profits, hospitals, etc. This will give you exposure to hiring authorities and you’ll have a heads up about job openings. Also, the more people your meet and talk to the better chance you have of hearing about job openings. It’s called NETWORKING. Be sure to include any volunteer work on your resume. It shows that you're keeping busy, using your skills, and helping others.

After an interview, stop wasting time wondering when they’re going to make a decision. There is nothing you can do to hurry them up. Yes, the interview went well and they “said” they were impressed and they “said” they would make a decision and get back with you in a week or so. That’s what they tell everyone they interviewed. You gave it your best shot. Send a brief thank-you note, reiterate that you want the job, then get more resumes out there RIGHT AWAY. You can follow up in a couple of weeks, but the bottom line is that if they want to hire you they will contact you. It’s good to be positive, but don’t count on getting every perfect job that you would be perfect for just because you feel the interview went great, they were “nice”, and you feel they liked you.

A friend who is a hiring authority was telling me about how they got over 400 applications and resumes for an entry level clerical position. It took a long time to weed out and narrow down all the applicants. She said one of the most annoying things was fielding all the phone calls from people wanting to know if they were going to get an interview, when they were going to make a decision, and (the worst) WHY they weren’t hired. Employers don’t have the time, staff, or resources to deal with this or to hold the hands of job applicants. Harsh? No – realistic.

Network, network, network! Your doctor or dentist or mechanic or neighbor might know someone who needs someone. Tomorrow your doctor’s attorney or your neighbor’s spouse might casually mention that so-and-so is going to be needing a (fill in the blank). GET THE JOB BEFORE IT’S ADVERTISED.

Good luck!
    Last edited by tango7; 03-25-2010 at 11:33 AM.

I was out of work for 10 months last year, so I did my share of interviews. Both my boyfriend and my dad are out of work as well, so I know how it goes.

For me, the biggest thing that doing all the interviews did for me was it taught me how to do it well-how to go in there and own the place. They want to see confidence-you have to sell yourself like a vital piece of the company.

I definitely agree about volunteering-not only does it feel good and get you out of the house, but it's something that employers like to see because it means, for the most part, that you deal well with people-and no employer likes a misanthrope. Even if it's just a once-a-week thing while you are out of the job market, it still makes you look a whole lot more presentable.

Another thing, though, is temporary work. Granted, for the most part, a lot of that is during the holidays, but I did seasonal work at a costume store over Halloween. It was only three weeks, but it got me confident (yay having a job!) and it allowed me to work more on customer service-skills I had developed at the job I had prior, but allowing me to not have to be so aggressive-so three weeks later, I was able to get a position at one of the largest clothing retailers in the world. Sure, it's not always glamourous, but for me, I hadn't been working in ages so it gave me the confidence that I could work.

Of course, there are some places that I will go with my resumes all done, every hair in place, and explaining the skills that I have and how that could better the company-and get shut down immediately. I think one of the main reasons I got hired on at the place that I currently work is because I'm very much a people person, and I have the energy and demeanour for customer service. That's one area that is a huge focus for the company, and by me coming in, I have been told that I have helped raise the bar in the store, service-wise.

I probably was a bad example in that I was very choosy-I wouldn't have worked just anywhere, I wanted it to be a place that was either local or in the community (the costume store), or a place that sold products that I believed in and that I would use myself. In this market though, don't be like me. Sure, reading Craigslist multiple times a day is good, especially for someone like my boyfriend, because it has a lot of things that he can go for. But for him, the other effective thing is just looking in the general area of where he may have dropped off an application. It's led to a couple interviews, albeit "sympathy interviews" in which the hiring manager wasn't planning on hiring anyways, but would feel bad not giving an interview.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Yes, temp work is a great way to test the waters and make contacts, or just keep busy and earn some money. I read and heard on the news that after a downslide temp work is picking up now. One of my brothers was out of work for over a year and he registered with several day labor agencies. It kept him going.

Another thing people can do is place a free craigslist ad and run errands (shopping, etc.), clean houses, care for pets, etc. to keep earning money and build up more references. Of course, one should use caution and common sense when going to houses of people you donít know. But I know someone who keeps busy and earns a tidy sum doing grocery shopping, etc. for seniors and disabled people.

This shows employers that a person isnít just sitting feeling sorry for themself day after day.

My boyfriend has been doing the day labour thing, and he's actually managed to keep one post for a few days so not only does he get some money, but he uses some of his prior experience (carpentry) and he can potentially get a business reference out of the shindig as well.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

+ Reply to Thread