+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Re: Job Interviews

Will be re-entering the work force after 5 yrs. (too long! & spending too much time on FORT, bwa-ha-ha). My child's getting ready for 4K next Jan. & I need to update my resume(s).

Here's my situation. Been a stay-at-home mom for 5 yrs, & the 4 yrs before THAT I worked as an ESL teacher in various parts of Asia. The last verifiable employment I had state-side (where references could actually be checked) was in 2001. Asian ESL schools tend to have a high turn over rate (as in "there" one day, closed down the next). & employers don't usually speak english, etc.

Any suggestions as to handling my serious gaps in employment. I am scared stiff!

MRD

Be honest. I was a stay at home mom for years and when I went back, I told them exactly why there had been a gap in my employment and they were fine with it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for the advice on the follow-up letter. It is in the mail. I heard by word of mouth about another job opportunity and called about it this afternoon and have an interview on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by beesknees;3016394;
    Will be re-entering the work force after 5 yrs. (too long! & spending too much time on FORT, bwa-ha-ha). My child's getting ready for 4K next Jan. & I need to update my resume(s).

Here's my situation. Been a stay-at-home mom for 5 yrs, & the 4 yrs before THAT I worked as an ESL teacher in various parts of Asia. The last verifiable employment I had state-side (where references could actually be checked) was in 2001. Asian ESL schools tend to have a high turn over rate (as in "there" one day, closed down the next). & employers don't usually speak english, etc.

Any suggestions as to handling my serious gaps in employment. I am scared stiff!
    beesknees (love that name, by the way), as mrd said, just be honest about it. I've been a stay-at-home mom for almost 19 years and my gap-riddled resume is still getting me interviews. (Now if I could just land a job from one of them.) I took the advice of others and took a look at what skills I had used as a volunteer, at school, church and in the community. For example, in running a fundraiser for the PTA, I had to interface with vendors and school administration, organize volunteers, keep the accounts, etc. Then I highlighted those skills on my resume.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

MRD

Oh definetly use your volunteer experience. I had tons of volunteer experience that gave me a lot of skills and I use that in my resume. Just because you volunteered, doesn't mean you didn't have the skills.
    And I get asked a lot of questions about the volunteering, so it is definetly a plus to use on your resume.
    And when I suggested my husband put his military experience on his resume, he got a LOT more calls for interviews. Not that he got a lot more job offers, but the military experience at least got him in the door because several told him that they usually always will call on the military veterans first.
    Use what you've got and don't worry about the gaps. Most employers are fine with people that stayed at home to raise kids.

Veejer, sending good luck vibes for the interview. Hope you get the job.

And same to you Beesknees, good luck on re-entering the workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by beesknees;3016394;

Most employers understand wanting to stay home with a young child. Mine did! I was in the military, got hurt and then got a medical separation and got pregnant and stayed home with my son for almost 4 years. During that time I took online classes and finished two Bachelors. My employer (who hired me an hour after my first interview since the Navy and I was scared spitless! Hadn't been on an interview in well over a decade) didn't even care about the gap. He actually liked that I took care of a kid since he said all the guys I'll be working with are a bunch of children anyways

Like everybody else has said, just be honest. Long gaps in employment while attending school or taking care of a child aren't unusual and nothing to worry about.

One thing when making your resume? Just leave the gap, don't put anything down and let the employer ask why there is a gap and that's when you tell him/her that you made the decision to stay home and raise your child till they were ready for school and so that you could devote more of yourself to your employer (etc etc)

Well, looks might I may be coming home... they just fired my husband at his new job here. But, not as bad as it sounds-- he was completely miserable there (to the point where I was scared for him) and they actually gave him a good severance package considering the short time he was employed, plus he has an interview back in Orlando next week; a few places down there are showing interest in him. I may end up staying here myself, though, if a University job comes through for me-- it would be worth staying for that, as we already have the apartment. Plus, we really do like the town; very friendly people.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I hate to hear that your hubbie lost his job But it sounds like maybe even tho that door closed, another one may be opening for him!

Glad you like it in Auburn and that you are thinking about staying...tho I have to admit, that would be tough to be separate from hubbie...

Best of luck to both of you....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Thank you!

Yep, that would definitely be the hardest part, if a job comes through for him there and one for me here. We've done the long-distance thing when I was in college and are so committed that we'd be fine, but of course it would be painful. But with the financial benefit plus the doors opening for me with such a job-- a potential to return to school here for nursing perhaps, in time-- we figure we'd have to make the sacrifice if that were the situation. The other tough part would be that this apartment we had to take might not be the safest place for me to stay alone (already had some guys try hard to force open the door; said they thought it was empty and wanted to look at it with a mind to rent it, but it was very suspicious... the roaches this place is infested with we can battle and try to live with, but I'd rather not be killed...)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Yeah, I would definitely recommend you finding another place...especially if you already don't feel you would be safe on your own where you are living now!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

pakacat,
    I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't working out like planned. I know we've been in similar situations, but that old saying about when a door is closed, a window opens has been true for us and I hope that it will be for you guys as well.

I would look into some safety measures in your apartment. Perhaps now that school is out for the summer (well, summer term is going on, but not as large as the regular terms) maybe there are some other places to live available now.
    When I was going to U of F, summer was always easiest to find new apartment.

+ Reply to Thread