+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Résumé's & Interviews

During the past two months, I've been pursuing an interest in a job field that I've always desired to work in. In August, I applied online and my application was accepted for further consideration. I've heard from the company again twice via e-mail and the company is flying me out for an interview. I'll be leaving in mid October.

The only thing I'm required to bring to the interview is my Resume'.

I would really like some input on résumé's such as... What makes a good resume'? What should you include or not include? What kind of format do you recommend... etc
    I've recently heard that stating a job "Objective" is really no longer required and that it can actually hurt you more than it can help you. What do you think? Interview tips would be cool too... I wanna get this job!

This is a chance of a lifetime, so I certainly don't wanna blow it on a Resume'!
    There are some really bright people here and I'd love your input!

This will be a great thread to give resume' and interview tips.

Thanks!!

Re: Job Interviews

Bobofan, I host over 150 companies a year while they interview college students for positions within their organizations. The thing I hear the most is the universal hatred of resumes that are "cutesy". Unless you're interviewing for a position as a designer or something equally as creative, resumes should not be pink, have a funky font, or have any other weird embellishments. Another mistake that happens with alarming frequency is people listing email addresses that sound unprofessional (such as wildbabe69@blahblah.com). As for objectives, they are a standard of a professional resume and would never "hurt" your chances. I'd advise not googling "example resumes" for help. There's a lot of crap out there. To see examples of a well-written professional resume, visit the homepage to any university career center.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I wish you wouldn't use my email addy in your example

Check spelling. Make sure you use the right words--spell check won't find anything wrong with "Their is won overwhelming reason . . ." but it will burn like a thousand suns when you notice it just as you hand over your resume. Have others read you're resume (see how badly "you're" looks there?) with a critical eye.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

All excellent advice Star. My husband looks at a lot of resumes, and he likes them kept to 2-3 pages (people will stop reading), no spelling mistakes or typos, and when doing work history, post the most recent first. I think looking at a university career center is a really good idea.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Another mistake that happens with alarming frequency is people listing email addresses that sound unprofessional (such as wildbabe69@blahblah.com).
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2586233;
    I wish you wouldn't use my email addy in your example
    Aww Newf...you always crack me up and have me laughing when I least expect it!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I'd always heard resumes should be one page. Although it's been five years since I sent one.

And I echo the advice to READ IT FOR SPELLING. Better yet, get someone else to, who isn't used to looking at it and will be more likely to spot errors. And do some research on the company -- I remember hearing tell of someone who submitted a resume to work at the "Newport News." Except Newport News is a city, and the paper there that they were applying to is the Daily Press.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I went to a job interview at a nuclear power plant on Wednesday. They called today to say I didn't get the job. However, they did say that my interview had gone well and that I had made a good impression. The reason I didn't get the job was because they didn't want to risk my leaving since the place is 2.5 hours away from here. But it was still nice to hear that they liked me and that the interview went well, that I'm doing something right.

I'm still waiting to hear from another place, which is close to here. I will hear from them on Monday or Tuesday (they will discuss me on Monday and hopefully they'll like me) so please keep all of your fingers crossed for me!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Good luck, femme fatale! Fingers (and toes) crossed, and sending best wishes your way!!

I recently went to two job interviews.

I ended up getting both of the jobs, because #1. She didn`t respond back with me fast enough... (I had to move a lot of clientelle over)

and #2. Too high dollar and restrictive as to whom I could do there.

Now I`m at the new job and making little to no money. Everyone says it`s going to get better, but it`s not like I (or my bills) can wait forever!! It`s really frustrating.... maybe I should have posted this in the "problems" area....

Whom you could do there? What kind of job did you interview for **wink, wink, nudge, nudge**
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread