+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Job Interviews

Re: Job Interviews

I got back super late last night. If I did get the teaching job I will find out tomorrow and my job search will be over. If not, back to more interviews
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2447781;
    I got back super late last night. If I did get the teaching job I will find out tomorrow and my job search will be over. If not, back to more interviews
    Back to more job interviews, but it was nice to make it to the final process of a job interview. I am also thrilled they let me know this early, unlike the schools I applied to last year, so that I can quickly apply for other jobs.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I have never not gotten a job that I interviewed for. I guess I'm a good interviewee. My only tip for you future employees is that you make the interview two-way. They're checking you out to see if you'll fit, check them out to see if they'll fit you. People love it if you ask questions. So ask the person interviewing you how long they've been with the company, what they like best about their position or the company, if they enjoy coming in to work everyday, etc... Make up a list of questions you want answered. And not just benefits, because everyone wants to know about insurance and retirement plans. Make it known that you're looking for a lifetime position, and you want to make sure this company is going to be right for you. It makes you sound confident (because you are, right?) and they'll love you for it.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2450061;
    I have never not gotten a job that I interviewed for. I guess I'm a good interviewee. My only tip for you future employees is that you make the interview two-way. They're checking you out to see if you'll fit, check them out to see if they'll fit you. People love it if you ask questions. So ask the person interviewing you how long they've been with the company, what they like best about their position or the company, if they enjoy coming in to work everyday, etc... Make up a list of questions you want answered. And not just benefits, because everyone wants to know about insurance and retirement plans. Make it known that you're looking for a lifetime position, and you want to make sure this company is going to be right for you. It makes you sound confident (because you are, right?) and they'll love you for it.
    Thank you for the advice burntbrat! I will definitely give it a try with writing down the questions and ask them when I get another interview(who knows when that'll be)
    Can I ask you if thats what you did to get your job?

Quote Originally Posted by pwettybird;2444428;
    I haven't really had a job interview, I've had one, in which they told me they would either send a letter or give me a call a week later but I got it a month later and they went with their other applicants.

My thing is ever since I put in my resume at yahoo hot jobs, I've been getting offers kinda one by one. I got one from an insurance company and then one from like a talent scouting agency and I just don't know which one to go with. For one, I believe I'd have more fun with the scouting agency but on the other hand the insurance company would probably give me insurance which is what I need. I just don't know what to do. I'm having a hard time getting interviews from when I fill out applications. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, and I haven't really had a job, the only job I've had is babysitting
    pwettybird - for some reason the Talent Scouting Agency, sounds like it might be a sales-type of job. By that I mean, perhaps calling people and persuading them to sign up for some type of training. Just an opinion and I could be wrong.

The insurance company will hopefully give you the insurance benefits you need, and if it's a large company, perhaps opportunities for growth ?

Check them out and see.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by pwettybird;2450120;
    Thank you for the advice burntbrat! I will definitely give it a try with writing down the questions and ask them when I get another interview(who knows when that'll be)
    Can I ask you if thats what you did to get your job?
    My last two jobs I have asked questions. I've been with my current company for almost six years now and the previous one was for four years, so my memory is a bit rusty with that one. With my current job, I went to interview about a month after my husband and I moved to Houston. I had an interview with the HR person first, and I was really nervous since it was my first interview in a new town and it had been years since I was on a job hunt. But I made decent conversation, enough to get a call back to interview with the manager who was hiring. That's when I turned it on. I asked him questions and put him on the spot. I didn't make him uncomfortable, I just made him remember me. So don't bring a list, just have a list in mind. It ended up that the position I was interviewing for closed up (the girl who was quitting decided not to quit), but they were so impressed with me that they gave me a different position in their company. I worked my butt off and have more than doubled my salary and moved to a department that utilizes my strengths.

Last year, a consultant gave a technology recruiter my name and number and said that I was really good. So this wonderful recruiter called me up and hounded me until I gave in and interviewed with a different company. I wowed them in three different interviews even though I wasn't really looking for a job. And all of them were most impressed by my interest in why they liked the company they were working for. I ended up not taking the new job, even though they offered me a great salary. I just couldn't leave the security of my current job and leveraged their offer against my loyalty to the current company and got a decent enough salary boost. The questions I asked were how long have you worked here, what aspect of your job makes you look forward to work every day, do you feel like this company is your family, can you see yourself leaving or are you dedicated to the success of the company, and why would I choose this company over another. This recruiter still calls me every once in a while and maybe one day he'll give me an offer I can't refuse.

You just have to believe that you're worth hiring. That you will be an asset, not an employee. Then you make them believe that. But don't be cocky.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2450648;
    My last two jobs I have asked questions. I've been with my current company for almost six years now and the previous one was for four years, so my memory is a bit rusty with that one. With my current job, I went to interview about a month after my husband and I moved to Houston. I had an interview with the HR person first, and I was really nervous since it was my first interview in a new town and it had been years since I was on a job hunt. But I made decent conversation, enough to get a call back to interview with the manager who was hiring. That's when I turned it on. I asked him questions and put him on the spot. I didn't make him uncomfortable, I just made him remember me. So don't bring a list, just have a list in mind. It ended up that the position I was interviewing for closed up (the girl who was quitting decided not to quit), but they were so impressed with me that they gave me a different position in their company. I worked my butt off and have more than doubled my salary and moved to a department that utilizes my strengths.

Last year, a consultant gave a technology recruiter my name and number and said that I was really good. So this wonderful recruiter called me up and hounded me until I gave in and interviewed with a different company. I wowed them in three different interviews even though I wasn't really looking for a job. And all of them were most impressed by my interest in why they liked the company they were working for. I ended up not taking the new job, even though they offered me a great salary. I just couldn't leave the security of my current job and leveraged their offer against my loyalty to the current company and got a decent enough salary boost. The questions I asked were how long have you worked here, what aspect of your job makes you look forward to work every day, do you feel like this company is your family, can you see yourself leaving or are you dedicated to the success of the company, and why would I choose this company over another. This recruiter still calls me every once in a while and maybe one day he'll give me an offer I can't refuse.

You just have to believe that you're worth hiring. That you will be an asset, not an employee. Then you make them believe that. But don't be cocky.
    Wow. Thats really neat. Im not good at remembering things. lol. At my first interview ever, I had to answer some questions in which they weren't much because the guy said that the questions he was going to ask me were mainly about my previous work history and with me not having one, he didn't have much for me. Before he let me go, he had me do like a little test thing, it was different words and then beside them were like numbers 1-5 and I would have to fill in how I was then. Im not sure what the words were, its been too long. but then he told me that I'd either get another call back or a letter, and then a month later, I got a letter in the mail and it said that they went with other applicants. I've been in there since and he knows who I am. It just sucks because I didn't get the job there and I was looking so forward to it.

FORT Fan

I've had the same experience as burntbrat - every time I've been able to snag the interview, I've gotten the job. (I'm an executive assistant)

I look at a job interview like a blind date - there's flirting going on, but there's also a search for information from both sides. My last job before this one, I went to two interviews with the CEO. At the end of the interviews I knew that he'd been married 5 times, I knew his golf score, I knew his favorite place to vacation and I knew his favorite foods but he didn't even know if I could type. Stayed there seven years - even after he was fired in my second year.

I got my current job because I made a pot of coffee! The hiring manager offered me a cup, we went to the break room, the pot turned out to be empty and without thinking I started to make a new pot. Hired on the spot - in fact I had two department managers bidding for me.

I've come to the realization that people are hired solely because of their personality and how they'd fit in with the current employees. At this company we've passed on people with excellent credentials and instead hired people with no experience, not exactly the right training, but they were pleasant to be around, had a positive attitude and a smile on their face.

Whoo-hooo, my husband received a good offer from one of his interviews, and locally to boot! Now, I need to have similar luck; nothing looking to come through for me so far right now. If it doesn't in a few days though, I'm heading up to Canada for the yearly summer fishing with my dad-- figure I better take the offer for a free trip while I have a chance, and my hubby wants me to take the break, though he can't come. Heh, on the subject of fishing, too bad I couldn't land a job on the women's bass tour or something, now THAT would be ideal...

I applied online to a non-teaching position in our local school district on Monday, the first day it was posted. The posting will be up until the end of today, but I received a phone call yesterday to schedule an interview.

Now I'm a nervous wreck!!!! I've been a stay at home mom for 18 years with just a little experience in the past few years helping out at my FIL's company when one of their office workers was on medical leave. Of course, I've got a lot of volunteer experience too.

I need to bring a hard copy resume, basically the information that I plugged into their online form in resume format, and three letters of recommendation. That is the hard part, getting a hold of people that I've volunteered with this time of year to get a letter by Tuesday.

I'd better reread this whole thread before the interview first thing Wednesday morning!!!!

+ Reply to Thread