+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D-Day: the 60th anniversary

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

D-Day: the 60th anniversary

It's hard to believe that it's the 60th anniversary of D-Day this weekend. And at the same time, it seems like it should have been much longer.

I think that's because we take for granted the lives we live today.

Every year on June 6, I am saddened as I think of the thousands and thousands and thousands of lives lost at Normandy. Some day I hope to visit Normandy myself to pay respect in person.

Until that time, I can only be thankful to those that literally saved the World.
    A day of heroism that the World has never seen.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

For those who don't know, there is a national D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va. (www.dday.org)
    I used to live near there and at one point spent a lot of time interviewing D-Day veterans for a special section in our newspaper. It really was fascinating, and terribly sad.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm only a few hours from there so we will definitely make it there to check it out hopefully in one of the upcoming weekends this summer.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    When ever I see a Veteran I always go up to them and thank them.
    I cant believe its 60 years since D-day. There are so many people out there who have no clue what D-day is let alone what it means...sad.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

It does seem impossible that time has erased much of the memory of the heroes who gave the ultimate sacrifice to preserve freedom for a large portion of the world. It is a shame that the remembrance of this monumental event in the history of our world is relegated to the “non-event” that it has become. We all should count our blessings for those who were there. Those brave souls who stood up to the tyranny and outright evil which stood poised on those beaches and in those fields ready to force the free world into bondage of their twisted hatred and malcontent should be held high and not be forgotten
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

There has been wall to wall BBC coverage of D Day. It has been excellent. I've found it very moving.

In case you didn't know, such as myself, what the "D" in D Day stood for here's is the link.

I've always admired all veterans for their courage and self-sacrifice. On a day like today, D-day, I can't help but think of that opening scene in "Saving Private Ryan".

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I've always admired all veterans for their courage and self-sacrifice. On a day like today, D-day, I can't help but think of that opening scene in "Saving Private Ryan".

I have the soundtrack playing as I type.

It's so hard to fathom what those men did on that day. I plan to visit the memorial and pay my respects this summer.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

+ Reply to Thread