This comes from someone who volunteers in an animal shelter so I
take it seriously. Wouldn't you know, I just bought one!! Luckily, I
don't clean very often!! H.
We got this warning passed around today from the shelter about "Swiffer
Wetjet" floor cleaner.
Thought I would pass it on to all of you since you have animals yourself
or friends who have animals ...
Very dangerous stuff!!
Warning for your animal's health:
I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German
Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely
healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see
what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the
dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and
when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting
into something unknown was hard to believe. My neighbor started going
through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer
Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may
be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to
ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to
find out that anitfreeze is one of the ingredients. (actually he was
told it's a compound which is one molecule away from anitfreeze).
Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the
solution, then licking it's own paws, and the dog eating from its
dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor cleaned with this
product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.
Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of
liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups
on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they
couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as
many people as possible so they don't lose their animals.
PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!