+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trivia Fanatics?

I love trivia! Like Lucy, I'm not too good when it comes to sports or science, but I know my art/history trivia very well. Too well, when it comes to certain topics. I also love surprising my friends with my knowledge of arcane things.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Healblade
    By the way, what is this "Million Dollar Pyramid" you speak of? I'm going through game show withdrawal, help a fellow trivia buff out!
    I think Donny Osmond hosted it a couple of years ago (it could still be on). They have topics and the celebrity tries to give the contestant clues and visa versa so that they could guess the word.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    I used to like NTN Trivia, online and using those funky keypad boxes they have at some bars up here - I don't even know if they use 'em anymore, but I used to have a blast playing NTN at the bar with some buddies on cheap beer night good times.
    NTN!! Woo! I play it whenever I slum with my friends. I'm always either #1 or #2 at the bar we go to.. one of the players at this bar is one of the really high ranking people.. like his name gets posted along with all the other top rankers in North America (how lame, I know). Doesn't matter how drunk I am.. I know my trivia.. even if I can't stand, walk or talk, I'll still win my game of NTN!

I kick butt at NTN...so bad that my friends (90% guys) all plead with me to log on as a male so that I don't give the other usually dumb barbunnies a fleeting chance at beating them
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

My NTN name is Twinky (for obvious reasons..) so if anyone is ever playing NTN and sees a Twinky from Checkers Pub.. that'd be me.. and I'll be kickin your ass!

I love trivia too. One of my "things" is watching "Who wants to be a millionaire" in different languages. If it is not the Danish version, there is always at least one question in the first five that totally stump me. It's an interessting way of finding out things about a foreign culture. I've watched the Norwegian, Sweedish, German and US versions of the show, all very interessting. The stage is always a little bit different for each version. The music is the same, but the chairs, the lights, the graphics for the questions and all sorts of little things are different. Is there a Canadian version of the show? If so, are there subtle differences from the US version? And what about the Mexican version? I'm sure someone here lives somewhere where non-US TV channels can be watched.

When I lived in Germnay for a while, the only TV shows I could stand seing were quiz shows, because they dub everything and I just couldn't bring myself to watch a movie or show that was dubbed. Also, the language in quiz shows is normally simple, and they write the question on the screen as an aid. So I recommend watching foreign quiz show and figure our what other parts of the world consider trivia

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    I love trivia too. One of my "things" is watching "Who wants to be a millionaire" in different languages. If it is not the Danish version, there is always at least one question in the first five that totally stump me. It's an interessting way of finding out things about a foreign culture. I've watched the Norwegian, Sweedish, German and US versions of the show, all very interessting. The stage is always a little bit different for each version. The music is the same, but the chairs, the lights, the graphics for the questions and all sorts of little things are different. Is there a Canadian version of the show? If so, are there subtle differences from the US version? And what about the Mexican version? I'm sure someone here lives somewhere where non-US TV channels can be watched.

When I lived in Germnay for a while, the only TV shows I could stand seing were quiz shows, because they dub everything and I just couldn't bring myself to watch a movie or show that was dubbed. Also, the language in quiz shows is normally simple, and they write the question on the screen as an aid. So I recommend watching foreign quiz show and figure our what other parts of the world consider trivia
    There was a Canadian version.. but it was just done as a 2 week special (I think it was 2 weeks). It was definately more oriented toward Canadians in terms of the history and stuff like that. A non-Canadian would have a very hard time with it unless they knew their Canadian history.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt64
    There was a Canadian version.. but it was just done as a 2 week special (I think it was 2 weeks). It was definately more oriented toward Canadians in terms of the history and stuff like that. A non-Canadian would have a very hard time with it unless they knew their Canadian history.
    But were there also question about commonly uses phrases that only a Canadian would know? Usually there is a "phrase" or "saying" question in the first five. I learned that in German you have "money like hay", but in Danish you have "money like grass" from watching the German version (is there an equivalent saying in English?).

The German show always had at least one question about Ossies pr. show (an Ossie is someone who is from East Germany, while a Wessie is from West-Germany). Learned some trivia about the DDR that way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123